TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Top Thrill Dragster- Scary?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really isn't very scary. Waiting for the launch is kinda scary, and the launch seems to drag on forever, but after that it's all a blur. It's so short that you barely register what happens.

The only scary piece of TTD is the launch. After you get used to the launch and are coasting up, it isn't scary anymore. It just goes too fast to be, and the curves are too wide. And if you're worried about the drop, my dad thought mf was too intense, because the airtime on the drop made the blood rush to his head, and he loved TTD. Trust me, a good run on MF is way scarier.

Start praying that Cedar Point bought their launch cables from Intamin

Even as a spectator you use to have to worry about getting hit by falling tires. Those have been removed so no need to worry about that anymore. Then a cable broke. Luckily it didn't hit someone in the neck and rip their head off. Then a cable frayed and pieces of metal penetrated some riders. Now it's just a cable to be scared of.

Don't be scared, just ride it.

Just ride it, because it looks a lot worse than it really is. The launch isn't really that bad, and the view is one of the best a coaster can offer. The launch is incredibly fun, and the top hat is a great element. The only scary part is the final few seconds before launch, and that is only scary the first time.

I still get nervous right before the launch. My first time, I could barely breath.

So yes, that part is terrifying your first few times. But the rest of it (after the ultra-intense launch) goes by too fast to think about.

I always wondered how TTD drop would feel. It's vertical and has a twist, and it's super tall so it's should be pretty extreme yet I never hear people say that it's very good.

Makes me wonder?

I never get that "typical drop feeling", probably because of that twist. All it does is make you feel like you're about to get your head lodged clear into a support.

Have fun!

I always hear people say that Xcelerator's launch is WAY more intense than TTD's. Is that true? Anyways, the drop does look really fun, it's gonna be awesome when I put my hands up on it.

---Brent

I have ridden both, and I say they are the same, just that the felling of intensity lasts longer on TTD because it's launch track is longer. My theory is that Xcelerator's launch section is shorter so it seems like it's more intense, but in reality, it isn't.

I'll never ride TTD, KK or Stealth due to their launches, I have middle ear problem and would worry about the launch / speed will do some damage.

I'm sure the experience is worth while and everyone gets a massive rush from the speed and height.

I prefer a nice old fashioned "chain lift" or a start like MF.

Waiting for the launch is the worst part, but if you are scared about it -- don't ride in the front the first time. Any other seat but the front is extremely tame during the launch IMHO -- I think it is the visual of being in the front.

^ I am thinking the complete opposite to what you say. I have never been on Top Thrill Dragster, yet I have been on Kingda Ka and feel against what you said. Riding front row is a rush and is absolutely incredible. If you are really scared, i'd say don't ride since all the rows are in your case, "scary", yet front row is just "more fun". But if you are to pushing yourself... go front row and don't chicken out for your first time because after the ride is over you will be proud of yourself and want to go again.

Just some of my thoughts,

-coastakid

As others have said, it happens so fast, you don't really know what's going on. I think the ride goes faster than your brain can register the sensations, which is why I'm not that crazy about it- it's over too quick to realize that you're enjoying it.

I think the feeling of "conquering" something you're afraid of would be more of a rush!

The first year I rode it, I was amazed and loved it a lot. The second year I rode it I was still amazed and still loved it. This year I rode it and it felt extremely tame and pointless. The launch isn't even very strong compared to other launches (just longer lasting) and rest of the ride goes by so fast you don't even notice it. The view is great for the 2 seconds you see it, and the twist is completely pointless. Basically a lackluster and hype filled ride that looks way more intimidating than it is.

Conclusion, just ride it and get the credit..... meh.

Tame?! TAME?!

Dragster's launch is ANYTHING but tame. It is WAY stronger than any other hydraulic, LIM, weight drop, or LSM launch in the world (with the possible exception of Ka, of course). I don't know what you're comparing it to that you think it's weak.