TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disney to Allow Same-Sex Fairytale Commitment Ceremonies

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/05/news/companies/disney_gayweddings.reut/?postversion=2007040519

Disney gives gay couples 'Fairy Tale Weddings'

Walt Disney allows same-sex couples to enjoy popular marriage tradition by adding commitment ceremonies to policy.

April 5 2007: 7:20 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) -- The Walt Disney Co. has changed its policy to allow same-sex couples to participate in a popular Fairy Tale Wedding program it runs mainly at its two U.S. resorts and cruise line, a Disney spokesman said Thursday.

Disney previously had allowed gay couples to organize their own weddings or commitment ceremonies at rented meeting rooms at the resorts, but had barred them from purchasing its Fairy Tale Wedding package and holding the event at locations at Disneyland and Walt Disney World that are set aside specifically for weddings.

"We are updating our Fairy Tale Wedding guidelines to include commitment ceremonies," Disney Parks and Resorts spokesman Donn Walker said. "This is consistent with our policy of creating a welcoming, respectful and inclusive environment for all of our guests."

Walker said the change was prompted by "an inquiry from a guest that asked about this service."

Disney had allowed gay couples to take part in its vow renewals program but excluded them from buying wedding packages by requiring a valid marriage license from California or Florida, which do not permit or recognize gay marriages.

Last month, gay Web site AfterElton.com criticized Disney for not allowing same-sex couples to participate in the Fairy Tale Weddings and Honeymoons program.

Disney's Fairy Tale Wedding packages start at $8,000 and include a wedding planner, the ceremony, food and beverages, flowers and table decorations.

The Lavish Wedding Option also includes a ride to the ceremony in the Cinderella coach, costumed trumpeters heralding the couple's arrival, and attendance by Mickey and Minnie Mouse characters dressed in formal attire.

Disney (Charts) has come under fire from religious conservatives, including the Southern Baptist Convention, which have accused the company of promoting a gay agenda.

The groups, which lifted an eight-year boycott of Disney in 2005, had criticized the company for such corporate policies as giving health benefits to same-sex partners of employees, allowing "Gay Day" celebrations at its theme parks and airing a prime time television show on its ABC network featuring openly gay comedian Ellen DeGeneres.

"We are not in the business of making judgments about the lifestyle of our guests. We are in the hospitality business and our parks and resorts are open to everyone," Walker said.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half of the wedding planners were gay, kind of a shocker that they even had that policy to begin with!

Good for Disney getting with the times. Everyone should be allowed to give all their money to the mouse!

I'm wondering though how many "boycotts" will pop up because of this, cause no company can do something this awesome without some serious backlash from the vocal bigots. It's even alluded too at the end of the article!

Disney fan for Life.

The boycotts will come from those yelling the loudest - with the least to contribute to the community, on the whole.

Except the usual - damnation, fear, name calling, homophobic comments.

The usual "good stuff", hmmm?

Half of the wedding planners were gay, kind of a shocker that they even had that policy to begin with!

Disney had allowed gay couples to take part in its vow renewals program but excluded them from buying wedding packages by requiring a valid marriage license from California or Florida, which do not permit or recognize gay marriages.

I don't think it was a concious effort Disney made to not perform gay "marriges". It said in the story they changed it after a potential customer brought it up.

On another note, does anyone else think they need to get a gay brainstorm together to figure some new words for "commitment ceremony" and "life partner"?

Especially "life partner" i swear, i gag a little every time i say that.

On another note, does anyone else think they need to get a gay brainstorm together to figure some new words for "commitment ceremony" and "life partner"?

Especially "life partner" i swear, i gag a little every time i say that.

Really, thats so true.

I imagine Pat Robertson will be ranting about this on the 700 Club this week and praying for the Lord to smite WDW with fire and brimstone (like he did when the the first Gay Days celebration was held there).

Robertson really provides a strong argument for nuking Virginia Beach; then again, I say just ignore the attention-mongering little Troll for Jebus (as opposed to Jesus, who I actually respect).

This is cool news for us gay men everywhere.

I never wanna get married but i love the fact that the option is out there, especially in disney cause it's one of my favoutire places and like hello how many gay men love theme parks and disney?

I go to 1 park nearly every year and i live in Ireland.

But i do feel however that they just seen a hole in the market and are exploitting the gay $ / £ / €

In my opinion, any move that upsets bigoted ultra-conservatives is a good move. I'm really impressed Disney is opening up this ceremony to everyone. Hey, even if it's just to increase the amount of people that they can potentially get money from, the fact that a huge family and children-oriented company is showing such acceptance is a positive step. Now, if only our government could do the same thing.

I was frankly surprised with this move. Impressed, but surprised none the less. I have the guess that they looked at the possible revenue and found that being open is more profitable. I'm sure it'll do more to irk the ire of people who already have their ire irked by Disney, but oh well. Who needs them anyway?

Something I could never figure out was......If I am not mistaken, Ellen's show is run by Disney, then WHY does she do so many shows on location at Universal Studios? She has her own ride at Disney for god's sake..

The original Ellen sitcom was done by ABC, which is why she's been around Disney, like the old Writer's Shop in MGM and Ellen's Energy Adventure, which opened when the show was still on the air. Ellen's talk show is distributed by NBC Universal, which is why they choose Universal Studios for their remotes.

I was frankly surprised with this move.

I'm actually surprised it took them this long. Disney was the first park to allow a large "gay day" celebration. And then they fought to keep it going after protests, because they made SO MUCH MONEY!

'bout time!

Personally, I think it is just a financial move for Disney. I highly doubt that they are trying to sway politics with this move, just make capital by not turning down any potential customers. A couple is just a couple to them in this case.