TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Drop Ride!!!

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

As someone who is still terrified of these things, I'm really proud that I got through Supreme Scream at Knott's during a very awesome WCB ERT! It definitely got a scream or two out of me.

For me, it's not all about the height. The towers that offer the least amount of a "controlled" feeling are the most terrifying ones ever. while they all are scary, the A.R.M. towers, like the ones at Morey's Piers and Waldameer, take the cake. The fact that the horrifying free fall feeling doesn't end until your feet touch the ground is pure insanity and gets me just as much as the height, every time.

Would love to compare to Lex Luther, but I don't think that I'll ever get in that one

^Jason, I'm sure you will, at a point But one I'd like to take you on in a not too distant future is Hurrakan Condor at Port Aventura. The hugeness of it combined to the tilting seats are absolutely fantastic. Best drop tower in my book ! As for originality, my vote would go to Mystery Castle at Phantasialand.

As someone who is still terrified of these things, I'm really proud that I got through Supreme Scream at Knott's during a very awesome WCB ERT! It definitely got a scream or two out of me.

For me, it's not all about the height. The towers that offer the least amount of a "controlled" feeling are the most terrifying ones ever. while they all are scary, the A.R.M. towers, like the ones at Morey's Piers and Waldameer, take the cake. The fact that the horrifying free fall feeling doesn't end until your feet touch the ground is pure insanity and gets me just as much as the height, every time.

Would love to compare to Lex Luther, but I don't think that I'll ever get in that one

Congrats! I'll admit freefalls are really the only type of rIdes that still intimidate me. Through the whole process of going up the tower, anticipating the drop and then the actual free fall, I am hating myself for doing this on purpose, but somehow when it is over, I am ready to go again.

^ Agree with this 1000%! That's exactly how I feel about drop towers....I love 'em, but they still scare the crap out of me. As for my favorites of the ones I've ridden thus far:

1. Pitt Fall, KW (I'm excited for Black Widow, but I will really miss this tower! If you faced the river, it felt like you were about to drop 400-500 feet!)

2. Drop Tower, KD (Holy poop!)

3. Big Shot, Stratosphere (Being 900+ feet up certainly heightens the thrills!)

4. X-Scream, Waldameer (As someone else said, this rather unassuming-looking tower is balls-to-the-wall intense!!)

5. AtmosFEAR, Morey's Piers (See above, haha)

Here's the best ones I have ridden so far

Best Intamin 2nd gen

Dungeon Drop (Astroworld) moved to SF St Louis as Superman Tower of Power.

227 ft tall.

Best S&S

Superman Tower of Power at SFoT

325 ft tall.

Really tall and they run combination launch and drop cycles. That is they launch you first and then drag you to the top and drop you on the same ride. Plus the single ride line is great.

Best Larson/ARM drop tower

Kemah Boardwalk DropZone

140ft Tall

It's not too tall but this one is definitely the most intense one. It like a 2nd gen Intamin but it give no warning when it will drop. It drops as soon as it hits the top. No pause, no alarm sound. The anticipation alone will drive you nuts.

Best Gyro Drop

Acrophobia SFoG

200FT

Despite the uncomfortable seats, I found this ride to be quite unique because of its unusual tilt forward seating.

I see there's not a lot of love for S&S towers, but I actually put my vote in for their combo towers. While I love the "less controlled" freefalls, I find that they tend to be too short. The combo towers offer a decent length while delivering both the shot and the drop. It's not far superior, but they're still my favorites. Also, Canobie's Starblaster does offer a pop of OMFG airtime, but I don't think that fits under "drop" ride.

Speaking of cycle length, I enjoyed Tower of Terror at both Hollywood Studios and DCA. Given, they are not the most intense drop rides, they have a great story going for them and the effects are spectacular. The only other Intamin drop I've been on, however, is Acrophobia at SFOG (which I loved).

Then, of course, there is Morey's Piers AtmosFEAR which always scares the crap out of me. And while Supreme Scream is not the most powerful drop tower, the sheer height of it was enough to freak me out.

By and large, I have loved every drop ride I've been on (except for Quassy's, but I doubt that was meant to be taken seriously in the first place). I don't have strong preferences, so if there happens to be a drop ride in the park, I won't pass it up.

For me it's definitely Acrophobia. Being able to see straight down puts this ride above and beyond the other drop rides. You also stick out a good ways from the tower, so the view of the earth rushing toward you is unobstructed. It's pretty much the only ride that I would call terrifying.

Congrats! I'll admit freefalls are really the only type of rIdes that still intimidate me. Through the whole process of going up the tower, anticipating the drop and then the actual free fall, I am hating myself for doing this on purpose, but somehow when it is over, I am ready to go again.

I also agree with this. The feeling of sitting at the top fills me with dread and I panic about things like change coming out of my pants or my shoes coming off. The drop tower at Morey's definitely was the most terrifying one that I have been on so far.

XScream at Waldameer Park is my favorite. First, because having no pause at the top gives no chance for the body to adjust, and second, the open feeling from the restraints allows me to raise my hands for the ultimate freefall. Drop Tower at KI comes in a near second because I like the rotation.

Unfortunately, Drop Tower at KD felt like the drop was more controlled and less intense despite being one of the tallest drop towers.

Edited by ajfelice

True story.

My fav. are:

FreeFall(Slagharen) Proberly the most thrill drop i have ever felt. They don't drop drop you down, they shoot you! Fabbri rules in my FreeFall book!

High Fall(Movie Park Germany) the main reason i visit to park.

AtmosFEAR(Liseberg) Great drop, and i like the view on the top.

Scream(Heide Park) See above...

Tower of Terror(WDW&DLRP) not for the thrill but more for the nice storyline...

i'm not really into S&S towers or things like that

^Jason, I'm sure you will, at a point But one I'd like to take you on in a not too distant future is Hurrakan Condor at Port Aventura. The hugeness of it combined to the tilting seats are absolutely fantastic. Best drop tower in my book ! As for originality, my vote would go to Mystery Castle at Phantasialand.

^^Congratulations, Jason--I wish I'd been there to cheer you on while your rode Supreme Scream.

Thanks all! Eric, I totally agree, I actually stayed on to ride it a second time since there was no line after saying "no" right away and then thinking....why not? Maybe some tolerance is developing haha

• 3 months later...

The ARM/Larson Super Shot that Butler Amusements brought in to the San Mateo County Fair today was INSANE. This was my first ride on one of these beasts, and it did not disappoint. It's only 90 feet tall, but it packs a NASTY punch. There are overhead panels that prevent you from knowing when you're at the top. Even more insane is that it will drop you immediately when the car reaches the top, and when it does drop, it does so like a bag of ACE-sized bricks. To me, it felt more like a downwards launch! The airtime on it (though brief) was just as powerful, if not more powerful than CGA's Intamin and SCBB's S&S. These were pretty much my thoughts during my first ride:

"It's so puny, how can this possibly top Drop Tower and Double Sho-- *CLUNK* OMFG! EXTREME EJECTOR AIRTIME!!!"

309537220_Larson30001.jpg.6aa2de088b851165c0969ab68e0d3840.jpg

It looks so innocent...but do NOT be fooled!

1982636521_Larson20001.jpg.81429671a6ea085362614366bfec662b.jpg

Yup. This ride kicks a$$!

You know, I've never been on a drop ride. When I was younger, I was just too jumpy, and didn't like the idea of being stuck on top of something for god knows how long before falling at a time I couldn't predict...but now I'm older, and take stuff for my anxiety, so I may give it a try when the time comes.

As for appearances, I'd say Blue Fall at Japan's Sea Paradise looks the most impressive.

I love pretty much any Intamin. Drop Tower(Zone) at CGA, KI, and KD are all great. Hell I even liked SFA's little tower (I think it's called Tower of Doom).

But the ones that creep me out the most are Intamin 1st gens. Demon Drop (when it was at CP) The Edge at CGA (back in the day) and Freefall at SFMM (if you happened to catch it on the one day of year it maybe operated).