TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite type of B&M Coaster?

Favorite Bolliger and Mabillard coaster?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Bolliger and Mabillard coaster?

• Stand Up
    • Inverted
    • Sitting
    • Dive machine
    • Hyper
    • Floorless
    • Flying

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the B&M's I've been on, I rank them in the following order:

5. Scream, SFMM

6. Medusa, SFDK

What?!? Why Scream above Medusa?!?

You're entitled to your opinion for sure, I've just never heard anyone who liked Scream better.

I don't understand that either. IMO, Medusa is better because it is smoother and it has the straight drop, which is very nice. The Medusa trains seem to glide silently and effortlessly along the track whereas the Scream trains shake and rattle through the whole course, with the added bonus of some mild head banging.

As B&Ms are mostly fun and ultra-smooth I never thought them as "intense". At mostly only 3-4 Gs they're quite moderate on intensity compared to Schwarzkopf or Gianviola (Goliath-SFMM) coasters.

I actually find some B&Ms very intense. In particular the helixes on their hyper coasters, such as Nitro, and coasters like Batman. Batman is one of the most intense coasters I've been on actually. But besides those examples, I see what you mean. Their inversions always seem more "spread out."

^Anyone that says B&Ms aren't intense needs to get on a few old school inverts and sit down coasters.

Agreed. I went to BGT for the first time this summer, and I was blown away at how intense and overall awesome Kumba, Montu and ShieKra were. While ShieKra may only have the intense first drop, it still makes my top ten.

Montu is the only coaster I can't marathon more than 3-4 times without feeling a bit off.

Montu is the only coaster I can't marathon more than 3-4 times without feeling a bit off.

I've found that 7 inversions is my threshold for marathoning. I rode Hulk 8 times in about an hour to an hour and a half time frame and had to take a pretty decent break afterwards, and this was when I was about 16 and would ride everything all day. Ever since then I've always felt off after rides like Monto, Kumba, Viper SFMM, Etc. But I can lap coasters with 6 inversions all day and feel fine. Still not sure what the difference is with one more inversion

• 2 months later...

Favorite- Invert

I think B&M is really losing their touch. I love old school B&M's, but these "New School" B&M's really aren't that impressive. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are some awesome new B&M's out there(like Tatsu), but when you look at a ride like Silver Bullet, where there is only one, real intense part of that ride, it makes you wonder if we'll ever see a new school B&M with the same intensity of some of the old school ones.

Edited by Andrewoplis

I'm not going to lie, I love all types of B&Ms for all different reasons.

Floorless- I love them because of the feet chopper effect.

Stand Up- I LOVE getting air time on these rides.

Flying- While i've only been on the S:UF at GAdv. I think the ride layout is pretty boring, but the over all idea of the ride is pretty cool. The first time i went threw the pretzel loop i freaked out!

Hyper- I love Nitros floater air!

Invert- I've only been on B:TR clones and all i have to say is INTENSE!

Edited by screaminkid2005

^^ The new Invert coming to France next year looks promising. It's been nicknamed "Montu Deux"

Honestly, I love B&Ms. I've been on every type of their coaster (except wing-rider) and have loved all of them. It's so hard for me to decide my favorite because I've been on some of the best of each kind. (Nitro, Kumba, SheiKra, Manta, Montu, Kraken, Hulk, Dragons) but I personally adore flying coasters because of the unique feeling they offer. Plus, the pretzel loop on Manta always gives some of the best forces I've experienced.

^^ The new Invert coming to France next year looks promising. It's been nicknamed "Montu Deux"

Honestly, I love B&Ms. I've been on every type of their coaster (except wing-rider) and have loved all of them. It's so hard for me to decide my favorite because I've been on some of the best of each kind. (Nitro, Kumba, SheiKra, Manta, Montu, Kraken, Hulk, Dragons) but I personally adore flying coasters because of the unique feeling they offer. Plus, the pretzel loop on Manta always gives some of the best forces I've experienced.

Just because they LOOK the same, doesn't mean they'll ride the same.

But I do agree, the Parc Astérix invert does look like it could be awesome.

Here is how I rank my top B&Ms, which all happen to be in my top 35 or so overall.

1. Kumba

2. Goliath (SFOG)

3. Dueling Dragons

4. Montu

5-10. Apollo's Chariot, Nitro, Intimidator, Diamondback, SheiKra, Griffon

11-16.Dominator, Batman-The Ride, Afterburn, Alpengeist, Flight Deck (CGA), Manta

...I would have to say inverts are my favorite, followed by hypers.

Although coming up with an actual answer is beyond me, maybe you can draw some conclusions from my rankings:

01. Medusa (floorless)

02. Tatsu (flying)

03. Raging Bull (mega)

04. Batman: The Ride, SFOT (inverted)

05. Flight Deck, CGA (inverted)

06. Superman: Ultimate Flight, SFGAdv (flying)

07. Talon (inverted)

08. Diamondback (mega)

09. Hydra (floorless)

10. Vampire (inverted)

11. Raptor (inverted)

12. Wildfire (sitting)

13. Silver Bullet (inverted)

14. Goliath, SFFT (inverted)

15. Bizarro (floorless)

Out of my 33 B&M coasters, 21 are in my top 50 steel. Apparently, when it comes to me and steel coasters, tame is the name of the game, surprisingly (with plenty of exceptions).

I've really gained an appreciation for the simple Sit-Down B&Ms. I really enjoyed Wildfire, but Kumba really blew me away. It really gave me a rush that only a few coasters have done. I also really enjoyed Hulk. Aside from those, I guess I'd say Hypers. I love a good Invert as well. Specifically, Talon, Montu, and Black Mamba.