TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

I am actually more excited about this this ride than I was Son of Beast being destroyed.

FIXED!

Hey, you can tell me that you werent excited to find out they were builing it, it was gonna be tall, fast, and have a loop. Granted most people hated it after they rode it but still it was like no other. I think we waited in line for three hours to ride it the first time and were exicted to do it becuse history was being made.

Just like here. Even if outlaaw run sucks, most are still excited about it

I find it really interesting to see the advances in engineering that are going on here. The structure is far less dense than rides from 15-20 years ago and I would guess the forces on the track i parts are going to be a lot higher.

Paving the way for even more extreme rides in the future I hope!

What I was wondering is if its going to be running on the steel plates shouldn't they make it smooth instead of having pop riverts on the outsides sticking up because if the wheels are in the middle isn't there a chance they could hit one of the rivet heads if the wheels get a little bit off center?

What I was wondering is if its going to be running on the steel plates shouldn't they make it smooth instead of having pop riverts on the outsides sticking up because if the wheels are in the middle isn't there a chance they could hit one of the rivet heads if the wheels get a little bit off center?

Awesome.

Well done.

Awesome.

Well done.

I wasn't sure if he was serious or not.

Deja va all over again (to coin a phrase). We had a similar conversation here when they built New Texas Giant. I figure the folks at SDC and Rocky Mountain know what they're doing.

Edited by cfc

^^^^*facepalm* The running steal is being welded together and ground smooth at the joints, one should not worry about hitting the hex bolts attaching the running steal to the topper track. If a wheel is that far off, well, maintenance has a lot more to worry about

I find it really interesting to see the advances in engineering that are going on here. The structure is far less dense than rides from 15-20 years ago and I would guess the forces on the track i parts are going to be a lot higher.

I totally agree. They are still adding support pieces and that should continue through this week. I was told by SDC construction that the plates they used to join the wood together strengthened the structure and provide for less maintenance on the structure vs using two pieces of wood on either side of the joints. Time will tell, but it seems RMC's quality is comparable to B&M's in terms of long term durability. Fingers crossed for them.

Now instead of the wheels hitting bolts they're going to be hitting pop rivets. Priceless. What's next? Will Rocky Mountain use bread bag twisty ties to hold the rails in place on their next project? I can just see it now... "Oh noes! Teh wheelz are gunna hit the twisty ties!"

^ I know they don't have much under their belt but New Texas Giant is a Impressive notch on the belt!

While Outlaw Run is their first original design from scratch, they've built some of the best coasters in the world. Look at their website for a complete list of coasters they've built. It has photos from the construction of El Toro and T-Express (2 of the 4 Intamin pre-fab wooden coasters). I've never heard anyone say anything bad about those rides. Rocky Mountain also built Tremors and Timber Terror at Silverwood and more recently added Topper Track to the curvy parts of Tremors (which is undetectable while riding unless you are looking carefully from the front seat). They were involved in relocating a Giant Inverted Boomerang to Silverwood. Plus they have done several Topper Track installations on existing coasters that need the repair.

That's more installations "under their belt" than Gravity Group or GCI, even if others did the design work for most of them.

^Agreed 100% It is kind of interesting to see how the years of construction and repair experience of RMCC has really paid off! They have even been able to make Predator at Darien Lake pretty bearable.

Outlaw Run is the beginning of a new breed.