TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Have you ever visited a church's "Hell House?"

It's Halloween time again and as sure a sthe sun will rise, churches will open their "Hell Houses." These houses show the evils of things like premartial sex, AIDS, teen pregnancy, and surfing the DISBoards. They ask us all to repent and convert to their religion. I've always been curious about them. I don't think they will convert me, but I'm curious to see one. Has anyone visited one? How was the experience?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to a few "Hell Houses" and a "Tribulation Trail." I found them to be rather interesting...

They did scare the crap out of me when I went through them (7-8th grade.) The house that I went through had different scenes such as abortion clinics, fatal car wrecks, heaven, hell, etc.

The Trail that I went on told the story of the seven years of tribulation (the four horsemen, the rapture, the anti-christ, people being barcoded, global war, and finally the "final battle".) Some of the effects were cool (a lot of fire, gunshots, gruesome accident scenes, holocaust-like ovens, etc.)

Um... if you're interested I would suggest going to one... I'm not sure how effective they would be as far as finding Jesus though.

Edited by Brad

I've never been through one but I have heard a lot about these church haunted houses. I think that they do more damage than good. You aren't going to get people to come willingly into the Christian religion by screaming "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL IF YOU DON'T CHANGE YOUR WAYS!!!". Being a Christian myself, I don't like the message these haunted houses are trying to put out. Their intentions may be good but the way they are putting it out there is a little extreme and unnecessary.

personally i love em... call me morbid but it kinda makes me feel good.... i leave feeling justified, vindicated, and all around laughing maniacally.

If you want to make it MORE fun... make it seem like your enjoying yourself.

singing AC/DC helps....

"im on the highway to helllllll...."

Its been a few years, but the one I went to was put together fairly well. Like previously mentioned, scary stuff when your young. I disliked the fact that after the wakthrough there was a preacher there to 'talk' to you about what you saw and how you can be 'saved'. Truthfully, I found the operators of the function to be more creepy then the actually house. And this took place in a defunct Piggly Wiggly of all places. Now that I think about it, it was all a bit to political for me in its tone of holyness. Damned if I do, damned if I don't fellas. Worth checking out at least once if you like haunted houses. I would love to walk through a Scientology hell house one day. : )

I saw this talked about on CNN a week or so back. I was extremely offended that they assumed that gays always get AIDS and go straight to hell. I wasn't thrilled that the anchormen didn't go into farther discussion with that part, all he said "ummm wow, that's politcally incorrect" or something along those lines.

I'm glad that in the Episcopal church we accept people for who they are.

What is this hell house thing? All the churches I've been to have never done such. Is it put on by catholics, some wacked out christian organization? Hmmm... I'm sure that wiki article explains it all. Sounds like a good halloween maze, though I doubt it will convert anyone towards Jesus.

Personally, I think the best way to convert some one is just by being a good person and helping them out. Let them know your beliefs if they ask, but as far as shoving it down people throats and guilt tripping them into believe, that doesn't work. Maybe back in the dark ages, but not now. Silly christian organizatons.

I just got back from one tonight in the middle of Tennessee. All it consisted of were clowns, chainsaws, closing walls, being trapped in a box that leans 90 degrees on on the side, real mice...and more chainsaws and blood. It had nothing to do with issues like abortion and stuff. It was just a fun haunted house. At the end of the house they just shared with you about Jesus and you were on your way. Very cool and did not pressure a decision out of anyone.

These hell houses sound absolutely awesome. I want to go to one now! This reminds me of this drive-in movie theatre my friends and I used to haunt. It was called "The Free Christian Drive-In" in Columbus, Ohio. We'd get hammered watching movies about people burning in hell and what not. So fun!

I also love reading Jack Chick tracts.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1032/1032_01.asp?wpc=1032_01.asp&wpp=a

"But spells don't work on me, Betsy."

"Why not?"

"Because Jesus protects me."

^ Well good thing there aren't any of these around here. I'm an atheist so I wouldn't go anyway but if I was christian I'd be saying "Why should I waste three hours of my sunday hearing about how I'm goin' to hell and missing football."

p.s. thats from the Simpsons.

I don't get to go to church much thanks to my job, but my pastor's a very friendly, and very open minded guy, and I like to talk to him when I can. The man is part of a dying breed in today's church.

It just sickens me so much when I look at places like these "Hell houses". Christianity is becoming far too politicized. It seems nowadays, in order to be considered a christian, you have be against this, and against that, and it seems you have to be a southern baptist as well. At least that's how the media seems to be painting it. And sadly, it seems to be a philosophy that's winning over the whole country.