TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Jahan's Super Sweet October Trip-Trip Report!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DOn't worry about it. I doubt any of the guests around you cared. Sure the actor might have been a little upset, but who cares about them anyways? They're there for your amusement. And when all is said and done, they still go home with a pay check

Uhm...wow. That attitude is why Monsters get hit/injured by guests. I hope you weren't serious.

And for the record: guests are there for the monsters amusement.

But anyways...I wouldn't expect anything less than the worst from Jahan. Afterall, he did develop his people skills at SFMM (where he had the best trainer ever.)

DOn't worry about it. I doubt any of the guests around you cared. Sure the actor might have been a little upset, but who cares about them anyways? They're there for your amusement. And when all is said and done, they still go home with a pay check

Uhm...wow. That attitude is why Monsters get hit/injured by guests. I hope you weren't serious.

And for the record: guests are there for the monsters amusement.

But anyways...I wouldn't expect anything less than the worst from Jahan. Afterall, he did develop his people skills at SFMM (where he had the best trainer ever.)

Seems like on slow nights you get all the stupid guest who try to beat you up and steal the props

Alright guys! Enough of Six Flags Magic Mountain….there’s a new kid on the block!...

Ooohhh…Pretty.

Park 2: Universal Studios Hollywood

Halloween Horror Nights

That’s right folks…yesterday was Friday the 13th, and to celebrate, me, Mike, Robb, and Elissa headed down to the new Halloween Horror Nights event at Universal Studios Hollywood!

Elissa’s obligatory camera pose/facial expression…..ok, ok…I’ll go die.

Mike, VERY excited to miss work for a real park.

Grrr….stupid traffic! This is almost as bad as queuing for the Mummy!

I don’t know why I included this picture. But I did, and your going to like it!

Taadaa! We’re here…Universal Studios Hollywood, in case you didn’t read the sign.

Elissa, Mike, and I got there about fifteen minutes before Robb, so we just chilled for a bit. I thought I would go check out the lines for the event.

Holy Crap! Actually to be quite honest, this wasn’t that many people. These were just the people that were forced to come, as they purchased their ticket online….grrr. (The forecast was rainy today)

So this is what it would feel like if we waited in line!

Once Robb got there, it was time to go inside….the pimp way!

I’m totally on a red carpet in Hollywood! Its so awesome, that apparently it even tastes good!

So basically we waited around for about twenty minutes, when it started to rain. I felt sort of bad for Universal, as it was evident that they had set up an outside-performance to kick off the event, which involved pyro, lighting, and everything….which ultimately had to be called off on account of rain. So they moved everybody inside, where we got little cheeseburgers and everything!

Their cameras are all bigger than mine.

Awwww….how cute. The gruesome-twosome sharing a press event with one another.

While the not-so-exciting “Graduation” performance was going on, I thought I would walk around and check out the cool sets that they had set up for the press.

Cool.

Cooler.

Even cooler.

Yet again, Jahan manages to get a chick in the tub!

Dude…she’s totally cute too!

Finally the little show thingy was over, and we were let loose into the park at 7:30. Keep in mind, that the guests have had access to the park for 30 minutes now, which I thought was lame, as there were already lines by the time we were allowed out.

Walked right out into a scare zone.

While some weren’t impressed by the scare zones, I was thoroughly impressed! Albeit they were small, but they had awesome scare actors, with superb costumes, and were totally in character and everything! Since I’ve only been to SFMM and Knott’s events before, I was totally pleased with the level of detail to be seen.

Mmmmm…I love me my bacon!

This guy ran into a Minute Man squadron.

At this point, we decided to go check out the Terror Tram attraction. We were waiting outside the front of the attraction, which didn’t open until 8:00 pm…as soon as the clock hit 8:00 pm, the LED sign depicting the wait-time changed to “60 minutes”. No f***in way! Totally ridiculous! We decided that perhaps it would be best to try and hit up the mazes first, and see if the tram line would go down….it wouldn’t.

The evil board of wait times!

The Asylum, utilizing the Shrek 4D queue….ironically, “The Asylum” is my nickname for Shrek 4D.

At this point, the wait for The Asylum was only 5 minutes, if that! (Later on it would be posted at 75 minutes!)

Now, this is the first Universal Maze that I have ever encountered in my short and pathetic life. And personally, I absolutely LOVED it. While I didn’t get any immediate scares, I for sure was totally involved in the custom, scary atmosphere! The level of detail, the character and persistence of the scare actors totally surpassed what I have previously encountered at Six Flags Magic Mountain, or even Knotts. And in this particular attraction, we didn’t encounter a single shaker-can!

After that, it was decided that we would just hit up the other maze…you know, get them over with.

This maze cant make up what it wants to be…unlike ME Robb!

The other maze was Universal’s House of Horrors, located inside of the Van Helsing: Fortress Dracula attraction. We only queued about 15-20 minutes for it…not unbearable. Its location at the immediate front of the park causes it to have LONG lines at opening, and shorter lines at the end. Definitely get to the Asylum earlier (as its entrance FACES the back of the park…so some guests don’t realize its there) and the House of Horror’s later.

Universal’s House of Horrors was also much fun. While we did think that it was lame that they were merely utilizing the Van Helsing attraction for the maze, there were many more scare actors, all resembling the various Universal scares of the past. And I admit, I actually got scared in this maze, which would be a first for me. So congrats to the scare actors!

After the mazes, we sorta pulled the classic look at each other and say “Now what?”

It was decided we would go down to the lower lot and check out the rides.

The Mutaytor show. I wasn’t really paying attention to the performance…just the freaking awesome fireballs!

Super-Xtreme escalator credit shot!!!!!!

They had some neat scare actors in the lower-lot too!

Time to try our luck with Mummy!

I’m such a mummys-boy.

Sweet! I’m totally excited about the fact that we will only have to wait a mere, short, 10 minute wait for this borefest of a ride!

No Robb! Don’t touch! You’ll…

…poor Robb. You couldn’t wait until January!

Well, despite a 10 minute posted wait, we waited a good 15 minutes before we realized that there was still a good 30 minutes more to wait! Hell no! I would rather be on the 405 than wait 45 minutes for the Mummy!

Booo! I guess it just sucked because it didn’t have its wonder-worker to save the day!

Well, maybe we will have better luck with Jurassic Park: In the Dark.

Anything with fire is cool with me!

We get in line to a 5 minute wait, only to hear that the ride broke down about a minute into our wait!

What the hell!?!

By the way…did you guys know that Jurassic Park is a Vekoma?

Hmmm…you learn something new every day.

Anyway…. they were able to get the ride up and running in a few minutes, and finally we boarded. The ride was MUCH lamer in the dark. You couldn’t see any of the animatronics! I mean, I thought SFMM’s “Park in the dark” was lame, but this was sort of just boring and weird. At least the drop was cool, as usual.

Do I really need a caption for this one?

So after finishing up the lower lot, we decided to hurry back up to the top of the hill, to see if we could catch a show.

Huh? Whoops!

Yea…Mummy was posted at 15 minutes when we got out of Jurassic, and that is DEFINITELY a little over an hour wait!

At least at the Riddler’s Revenge, we were nice enough to overshoot the times, like they do at Space Mountain….its usually always set to “2 hours”, or somewhere between that and 2 ½ hours.

Alright, so we got to the top of the hill, and decided to hit the Fear Factor show.

Oh…its “Fear Factor Live…I’m sorry!

Now, I’m not going to say that we had “high expectations” for this show, but I would say that we had “high hopes” for this show. The show is hosted by Heckles and Twitch, the comedic clown duo that has worked Six Flags Magic Mountain’s Fright Fest the past few years, but hopped over to Universal Studios this year. Both Mike and I were familiar with the clowns, and so we were hoping for some good stuff from them. Robb and Elissa, who weren’t familiar with the clowns, were told by someone that the show should be sort of like a “Bill and Ted concept”. So I think we all walked into the show with at least “high hopes”.

What we saw was rather disappointing.

And that isn’t just me being a picky little fart. I dearly wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. But I’m not going to lie to you…. ONE HALF of the audience left mid-performance….eventually including us.

The show is essentially supposed to be a Fear Factor Live: Celebrity Edition gone wrong. Here…I’ll just post the pictures…

Heckles and Twitch hijacking the show from Mr. Host Guy.

Bringing in the celebrity contestants…from left to right: Howard Stern Saddam Hussein, Satan, Michael Jackson, Brittany Spears, and Paris Hilton.

No show would be complete without the obligatory Bush jokes.

A snuck a picture of them, and you can just see the pain in their faces….seriously!

The show was very disappointing, as there was so much misguided potential. The entire “Fear Factor” element of the show weighted it down, in my opinion. It was shrouded in humor entirely dependant upon “shock value”, which in and of itself didn’t have enough real content to carry a show this long. That’s the thing—if we thought it was close to ending, we would have stayed…but this was just dragging on, and there was no end in sight, so we sort of just had to leave.

At this point, we didn’t know what to do. The next batch of shows weren’t scheduled to start for a bit, and the Terror Tram was still posted at 75 minutes! It was at this point that we started asking around and calling numbers, and lets just say that we got a little help on getting onto the Terror Tram right away!

Finally!!!

Robb, mad, because once again Jahan is “cramping his style with the ladies”.

Its alright Elissa…you know I’ll always be there for you. January could not come any sooner, unfortunately.

…and on a side note, if I hear “Sue Carpenter?!” from a particular Magic employee one more time, I’m going to freaking kill him.

I don’t know what’s more exciting to them…finally being on the Tram, or shooting off “Jahan’s sexuality” jokes….grr.

Our cute, foreign tram guide.

Our not-so-cute, foreign director, who coincidentally looks a lot like Wes.

Again, we were totally dumbfounded by the stuff that was coming out of the tram guide’s mouths! Between getting the tram excited about getting drunk, to how she would screw the director, to even a black dildo joke, it was amazing…they were totally pushing even the “PG-13” self-rating.

Regardless, the Terror Tram was definitely the highlight of my night. It wasn’t even the elaborate scares and wonderful scare actors, but simply the mere walking along the Bates Motel, Psycho House, and War of the Worlds set, which was what made it cool, in my sole opinion. Alright…here’s your pictures galore…

Understandable, but it was unfortunate that they had chosen this location for all of their telecasts.

Yesssss x 10 ^ kajillionth!

Does that make you randy baby, yea!

Sweet!

*sigh*…I’m going to stay true to my promise about no old-lady jokes, so you BETTER be nice to me!

I love it.

Any park that has a crazy Texan dude skinning “beef jerkey” off of the faces of park guests…is a cool park to me!

This guy was so awesome, that he ACTUALLY censored himself! That gave us a good laugh.

I certainly need to refine my taste in women.

Duude. This is awesome.

They even had a really great Norman Bates character!

Onward, to the War of the Worlds set!

At this point, we meet back up with a tram, and reboard.

Only to go into some cheesy “layover” of the Mummy-tunnel, where you “encounter the director” (…or not.).

And like that, the Terror Tram is over. It was an EXCELLENT main attraction for the event, albeit a bit short, but was definitely great. I suppose the fact we didn’t have to wait 75 minutes may have played into that! I definitely hope they have this attraction in future events…possibly even extending walk-though portion.

I totally approve of the Terror Tram…effectively blinding me for the next 30 seconds!

Lastly, to finish of the night, we took Mike to go see T2:3D.

Was the picture necessary?

T2 was the same as always…..which was disappointing, as we had read that it should be different. Oh well…maybe next year. After all, Arnold is going to win in November.

And with that, the night was over. We exited the show exactly at park closing.

Overall, I think that this was a good “first event” for Universal Studios Hollywood Halloween Horror Nights. I’m glad to have gone, and I hope to do it again in years to come. A few things…

One, there really isn’t enough to do, in relation to the amount of guests the event was digesting. Two mazes, two rides, the Terror Tram, and a few shows. Yesterday saw massive crowds, and the wait times reflected that by the end of the evening…Terror Tram never dropping below 75 minutes, and you all saw that Mummy line. Of the two mazes, House of Horrors opened with a 50 minute wait! (for a maze!). And the Asylum, while having a uber-short line at the beginning, would get a 75 minute wait by 11:00 pm! That’s crazy for a walk-through attraction that lasts about 4 minutes!

Two, it was completely obvious that Universal wasn’t expecting that many people to show up! It was the first day of the event, a Friday, with rainy weather forecasted, and potentially weak pre-sales. This low turnout prediction ended up seriously hurting operations, as they really weren’t ready to handle the crowds of this magnitude. Somebody underestimated the marketing draw of “Friday the 13th”!

Lastly, I was a bit surprised at exactly how much of the “PG-13” humor there actually was. Now I wouldn’t consider myself a prude…as a matter of fact, I praise a park that’s actually willing to show some balls! But anyone who knows the proper anatomy knows that there’s only supposed to be two balls! And this, my friends, was a crap load more than just 2 balls! As they said in Kung Pow, “That’s a lot of nuts!” Point being, is that had so much of the “crude humor”, for the mere sake of having the “crude humor”. They relied solely on “shock value”, frequently not having any real content to the jokes. So once that “shock value” wore off, I sat there kind of confused as to what the hell I was exactly seeing! It was almost as confusing as the blatant “Full Throttle” plugs. But perhaps that was just me.

Regardless, in the end I had an amazingly awesome time and I will definitely be back for the years to come. If they could add at least two more mazes for next years event, give their shows a major rethink, turn Jurassic’s lights back on, and demolish Mummy and replace it with a Riddler’s Revenge clone, next years event will be even more amazing, and they will have officially stuck their foot in the door of Halloween events!

Well folks, thanks for reading my photo trip report! I KNOW it was long, but I thank you for putting up with me yet again! Feel free to post questions, comments, concerns, or as always, praise.

-Jahan

Alright guys! Enough of Six Flags Magic Mountain….there’s a new kid on the block!...

Ooohhh…Pretty.

Park 2: Universal Studios Hollywood

Halloween Horror Nights

That’s right folks…yesterday was Friday the 13th, and to celebrate, me, Mike, Robb, and Elissa headed down to the new Halloween Horror Nights event at Universal Studios Hollywood!

Elissa’s obligatory camera pose/facial expression…..ok, ok…I’ll go die.

Mike, VERY excited to miss work for a real park.

Grrr….stupid traffic! This is almost as bad as queuing for the Mummy!

I don’t know why I included this picture. But I did, and your going to like it!

Taadaa! We’re here…Universal Studios Hollywood, in case you didn’t read the sign.

Elissa, Mike, and I got there about fifteen minutes before Robb, so we just chilled for a bit. I thought I would go check out the lines for the event.

Holy Crap! Actually to be quite honest, this wasn’t that many people. These were just the people that were forced to come, as they purchased their ticket online….grrr. (The forecast was rainy today)

So this is what it would feel like if we waited in line!

Once Robb got there, it was time to go inside….the pimp way!

I’m totally on a red carpet in Hollywood! Its so awesome, that apparently it even tastes good!

So basically we waited around for about twenty minutes, when it started to rain. I felt sort of bad for Universal, as it was evident that they had set up an outside-performance to kick off the event, which involved pyro, lighting, and everything….which ultimately had to be called off on account of rain. So they moved everybody inside, where we got little cheeseburgers and everything!

Their cameras are all bigger than mine.

Awwww….how cute. The gruesome-twosome sharing a press event with one another.

While the not-so-exciting “Graduation” performance was going on, I thought I would walk around and check out the cool sets that they had set up for the press.

Cool.

Cooler.

Even cooler.

Yet again, Jahan manages to get a chick in the tub!

Dude…she’s totally cute too!

Finally the little show thingy was over, and we were let loose into the park at 7:30. Keep in mind, that the guests have had access to the park for 30 minutes now, which I thought was lame, as there were already lines by the time we were allowed out.

Walked right out into a scare zone.

While some weren’t impressed by the scare zones, I was thoroughly impressed! Albeit they were small, but they had awesome scare actors, with superb costumes, and were totally in character and everything! Since I’ve only been to SFMM and Knott’s events before, I was totally pleased with the level of detail to be seen.

Mmmmm…I love me my bacon!

This guy ran into a Minute Man squadron.

At this point, we decided to go check out the Terror Tram attraction. We were waiting outside the front of the attraction, which didn’t open until 8:00 pm…as soon as the clock hit 8:00 pm, the LED sign depicting the wait-time changed to “60 minutes”. No f***in way! Totally ridiculous! We decided that perhaps it would be best to try and hit up the mazes first, and see if the tram line would go down….it wouldn’t.

The evil board of wait times!

The Asylum, utilizing the Shrek 4D queue….ironically, “The Asylum” is my nickname for Shrek 4D.

At this point, the wait for The Asylum was only 5 minutes, if that! (Later on it would be posted at 75 minutes!)

Now, this is the first Universal Maze that I have ever encountered in my short and pathetic life. And personally, I absolutely LOVED it. While I didn’t get any immediate scares, I for sure was totally involved in the custom, scary atmosphere! The level of detail, the character and persistence of the scare actors totally surpassed what I have previously encountered at Six Flags Magic Mountain, or even Knotts. And in this particular attraction, we didn’t encounter a single shaker-can!

After that, it was decided that we would just hit up the other maze…you know, get them over with.

This maze cant make up what it wants to be…unlike ME Robb!

The other maze was Universal’s House of Horrors, located inside of the Van Helsing: Fortress Dracula attraction. We only queued about 15-20 minutes for it…not unbearable. Its location at the immediate front of the park causes it to have LONG lines at opening, and shorter lines at the end. Definitely get to the Asylum earlier (as its entrance FACES the back of the park…so some guests don’t realize its there) and the House of Horror’s later.

Universal’s House of Horrors was also much fun. While we did think that it was lame that they were merely utilizing the Van Helsing attraction for the maze, there were many more scare actors, all resembling the various Universal scares of the past. And I admit, I actually got scared in this maze, which would be a first for me. So congrats to the scare actors!

After the mazes, we sorta pulled the classic look at each other and say “Now what?”

It was decided we would go down to the lower lot and check out the rides.

The Mutaytor show. I wasn’t really paying attention to the performance…just the freaking awesome fireballs!

Super-Xtreme escalator credit shot!!!!!!

They had some neat scare actors in the lower-lot too!

Time to try our luck with Mummy!

I’m such a mummys-boy.

Sweet! I’m totally excited about the fact that we will only have to wait a mere, short, 10 minute wait for this borefest of a ride!

No Robb! Don’t touch! You’ll…

…poor Robb. You couldn’t wait until January!

Well, despite a 10 minute posted wait, we waited a good 15 minutes before we realized that there was still a good 30 minutes more to wait! Hell no! I would rather be on the 405 than wait 45 minutes for the Mummy!

Booo! I guess it just sucked because it didn’t have its wonder-worker to save the day!

Well, maybe we will have better luck with Jurassic Park: In the Dark.

Anything with fire is cool with me!

We get in line to a 5 minute wait, only to hear that the ride broke down about a minute into our wait!

What the hell!?!

By the way…did you guys know that Jurassic Park is a Vekoma?

Hmmm…you learn something new every day.

Anyway…. they were able to get the ride up and running in a few minutes, and finally we boarded. The ride was MUCH lamer in the dark. You couldn’t see any of the animatronics! I mean, I thought SFMM’s “Park in the dark” was lame, but this was sort of just boring and weird. At least the drop was cool, as usual.

So after finishing up the lower lot, we decided to hurry back up to the top of the hill, to see if we could catch a show.

Huh? Whoops!

Yea…Mummy was posted at 15 minutes when we got out of Jurassic, and that is DEFINITELY a little over an hour wait!

At least at the Riddler’s Revenge, we were nice enough to overshoot the times, like they do at Space Mountain….its usually always set to “2 hours”, or somewhere between that and 2 ½ hours.

Alright, so we got to the top of the hill, and decided to hit the Fear Factor show.

Oh…its “Fear Factor Live…I’m sorry!

Now, I’m not going to say that we had “high expectations” for this show, but I would say that we had “high hopes” for this show. The show is hosted by Heckles and Twitch, the comedic clown duo that has worked Six Flags Magic Mountain’s Fright Fest the past few years, but hopped over to Universal Studios this year. Both Mike and I were familiar with the clowns, and so we were hoping for some good stuff from them. Robb and Elissa, who weren’t familiar with the clowns, were told by someone that the show should be sort of like a “Bill and Ted concept”. So I think we all walked into the show with at least “high hopes”.

What we saw was rather disappointing.

And that isn’t just me being a picky little fart. I dearly wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. But I’m not going to lie to you…. ONE HALF of the audience left mid-performance….eventually including us.

The show is essentially supposed to be a Fear Factor Live: Celebrity Edition gone wrong. Here…I’ll just post the pictures…

Heckles and Twitch hijacking the show from Mr. Host Guy.

Bringing in the celebrity contestants…from left to right: Howard Stern Saddam Hussein, Satan, Michael Jackson, Brittany Spears, and Paris Hilton.

No show would be complete without the obligatory Bush jokes.

A snuck a picture of them, and you can just see the pain in their faces….seriously!

The show was very disappointing, as there was so much misguided potential. The entire “Fear Factor” element of the show weighted it down, in my opinion. It was shrouded in humor entirely dependant upon “shock value”, which in and of itself didn’t have enough real content to carry a show this long. That’s the thing—if we thought it was close to ending, we would have stayed…but this was just dragging on, and there was no end in sight, so we sort of just had to leave.

At this point, we didn’t know what to do. The next batch of shows weren’t scheduled to start for a bit, and the Terror Tram was still posted at 75 minutes! It was at this point that we started asking around and calling numbers, and lets just say that we got a little help on getting onto the Terror Tram right away!

Finally!!!

Robb, mad, because once again Jahan is “cramping his style with the ladies”.

Its alright Elissa…you know I’ll always be there for you. January could not come any sooner, unfortunately.

…and on a side note, if I hear “Sue Carpenter?!” from a particular Magic employee one more time, I’m going to freaking kill him.

I don’t know what’s more exciting to them…finally being on the Tram, or shooting off “Jahan’s sexuality” jokes….grr.

Our cute, foreign tram guide.

Our not-so-cute, foreign director, who coincidentally looks a lot like Wes.

Again, we were totally dumbfounded by the stuff that was coming out of the tram guide’s mouths! Between getting the tram excited about getting drunk, to how she would screw the director, to even a black dildo joke, it was amazing…they were totally pushing even the “PG-13” self-rating.

Regardless, the Terror Tram was definitely the highlight of my night. It wasn’t even the elaborate scares and wonderful scare actors, but simply the mere walking along the Bates Motel, Psycho House, and War of the Worlds set, which was what made it cool, in my sole opinion. Alright…here’s your pictures galore…

Understandable, but it was unfortunate that they had chosen this location for all of their telecasts.

Yesssss x 10 ^ kajillionth!

Does that make you randy baby, yea!

Sweet!

*sigh*…I’m going to stay true to my promise about no old-lady jokes, so you BETTER be nice to me!

I love it.

Any park that has a crazy Texan dude skinning “beef jerkey” off of the faces of park guests…is a cool park to me!

This guy was so awesome, that he ACTUALLY censored himself! That gave us a good laugh.

I certainly need to refine my taste in women.

Duude. This is awesome.

They even had a really great Norman Bates character!

Onward, to the War of the Worlds set!

At this point, we meet back up with a tram, and reboard.

Only to go into some cheesy “layover” of the Mummy-tunnel, where you “encounter the director” (…or not.).

And like that, the Terror Tram is over. It was an EXCELLENT main attraction for the event, albeit a bit short, but was definitely great. I suppose the fact we didn’t have to wait 75 minutes may have played into that! I definitely hope they have this attraction in future events…possibly even extending walk-though portion.

I totally approve of the Terror Tram…effectively blinding me for the next 30 seconds!

Lastly, to finish of the night, we took Mike to go see T2:3D.

Was the picture necessary?

T2 was the same as always…..which was disappointing, as we had read that it should be different. Oh well…maybe next year. After all, Arnold is going to win in November.

And with that, the night was over. We exited the show exactly at park closing.

Overall, I think that this was a good “first event” for Universal Studios Hollywood Halloween Horror Nights. I’m glad to have gone, and I hope to do it again in years to come. A few things…

One, there really isn’t enough to do, in relation to the amount of guests the event was digesting. Two mazes, two rides, the Terror Tram, and a few shows. Yesterday saw massive crowds, and the wait times reflected that by the end of the evening…Terror Tram never dropping below 75 minutes, and you all saw that Mummy line. Of the two mazes, House of Horrors opened with a 50 minute wait! (for a maze!). And the Asylum, while having a uber-short line at the beginning, would get a 75 minute wait by 11:00 pm! That’s crazy for a walk-through attraction that lasts about 4 minutes!

Two, it was completely obvious that Universal wasn’t expecting that many people to show up! It was the first day of the event, a Friday, with rainy weather forecasted, and potentially weak pre-sales. This low turnout prediction ended up seriously hurting operations, as they really weren’t ready to handle the crowds of this magnitude. Somebody underestimated the marketing draw of “Friday the 13th”!

Lastly, I was a bit surprised at exactly how much of the “PG-13” humor there actually was. Now I wouldn’t consider myself a prude…as a matter of fact, I praise a park that’s actually willing to show some balls! But anyone who knows the proper anatomy knows that there’s only supposed to be two balls! And this, my friends, was a crap load more than just 2 balls! As they said in Kung Pow, “That’s a lot of nuts!” Point being, is that had so much of the “crude humor”, for the mere sake of having the “crude humor”. They relied solely on “shock value”, frequently not having any real content to the jokes. So once that “shock value” wore off, I sat there kind of confused as to what the hell I was exactly seeing! It was almost as confusing as the blatant “Full Throttle” plugs. But perhaps that was just me.

Regardless, in the end I had an amazingly awesome time and I will definitely be back for the years to come. If they could add at least two more mazes for next years event, give their shows a major rethink, turn Jurassic’s lights back on, and demolish Mummy and replace it with a Riddler’s Revenge clone, next years event will be even more amazing, and they will have officially stuck their foot in the door of Halloween events!

Well folks, thanks for reading my photo trip report! I KNOW it was long, but I thank you for putting up with me yet again! Feel free to post questions, comments, concerns, or as always, praise.

-Jahan

Great TR jahan. And i know that one kid... Mike, i think. Yeah thats him.

Jeez, i just realized howe loing that took me to read! once it was over i realized my internet had gotten unplugged, and i didn't even notice.

anyway, i was thining about going to universal, is it worth however much it was to go?

Can't wait for Part Tres

Thanks for all of your awesome responses.

Great (long!) TR! How much of an upcharge is this? I agree that it looks a little thin on the actual scary attractions, especially compared to what other parks seem to be doing.

anyway, i was thining about going to universal, is it worth however much it was to go?

The event is by itself, $49 at the door. If its a non-peak day, you can purchase your tickets online for only $34, which what I did, and is definitely a good deal. And if its a peak-day, you can purchase your tickets online for only $39...still a great deal. This event is definitely worth $39.

-Jahan

Oh Jahan, how dare you look like Mummy like it was RRv. a half empty queue at Mummy doesn't translate to an hour (or more) like it does at RRv.

That was a 35 minute wait (or 40-45 if in single mode).

I agree that it looks a little thin on the actual scary attractions, especially compared to what other parks seem to be doing.

Well compared to parks who have been doing their events for years upon years, I think HHN offered a "decent" amount considering that this is the first time they are doing the event in 6 years, and in many ways this really is a "brand new" event.

I agree there needed to be more to do, but they also aren't charging Knott's Haunt or HHN Orlando prices.

Being the first night there were certainly some things they didn't get right, nor did either one of us get right in our trip reports. Turns out those lines of 45 to 60 minutes were misquoted and other people who were there the same night only waited 20 to 30 minutes for most mazes and attractions, even with those "full queues."

I dunno, I'm just not sure it's fair to compare this event to "what other parks are doing" being that most of the "other parks" have had their event for 15+ years. I kind of think for the first year, maybe even two, you need to view it as a "stand alone" event and ask the question "did I get a good value for my money."

--Robb "Just my random thought!" Alvey

to be honest, even if this event is low on the ammounts of things to do there, I'm more anxious for this then I was for haunt. I really do like the fact that they give thier mazes story and its not just bang on the wall, shake a can in some one's ear type tactics. Plus it means it can only get better next year. It sure would be cool to have an event the size of HHN Florida (or at least as close as they can get it for USH) to come to the LA area.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Well, its been a while since I’ve updated you guys on my progress, so I thought I would add another section to the trip report! Enjoy!

I might as well start with a little prelude to destruction…

As most of you know, Theme Park Review recently made a trip out to the state of Florida, and I was supremely honored to be able to join them. I had been to Florida one other time in my life…when I was 5. And I cant say I remember very much, if anything. So in essence, I was going out there a Floridian virgin, among other things.

I might as well give my little disclaimer now, too…I am quite the prided Californian, so I am by default looking at Floridian attractions, often based upon my experiences with Californian counterparts or similar attractions. I will try my best to review the attractions with fairness, as I know it irritates Robb and Elissa when I look at this stuff with an analytic eye, but this is sort of Theme Park Review, so where appropriate, I will review…..

Anyway, half way through Tuesday, I cut out to go meet up with Elissa and Mr. Ryan King, where we all drove down to pick up Robb at his work. We were all in for a surprise.

Surprise!

It wasn’t the fact that I finally got to see Robb’s place of work, or that I was pacing among the corridors of video game history, as well as of video game future . Hell, I havn’t played video games since the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time…I find it doesn’t get better than that or Goldeneye.

It was the fact that I finally was able to meet a celebrity…

It’s shark!

That’s right folks! I got to meet the shark part of sharktums!

Anyway, after Activision, we hit up an El Torrito (I was kind to my fellow flyers, and skipped the beans!), and after that we drove down to LAX. LAX was very “LAXish”, as usual, although I cant say that it took that long before we were through security and waiting at our gate. We met up with Guy and Jon, and before you know it, we were on the plane!

We took off, and out of the whole 4 hour flight, I only got about 45 minutes of sleep!

My view the whole 4 hour flight…Guy’s head.

Will this count as technically having slept with a woman? Or does the Robb part cancel that out?

Once we landed, we did obligatory travel stuff, that was boring (except for WaffleHouse/crazy parking Florida bitch), and finally we were on the short bus, headed for our first destination!

Very spacious….before 12 adults crammed into this thing!

I wasn’t really feeling the whole “I’m in Florida, and I’m all giddy” feeling, until we passed this sign….

*drools*

And without further adieu, the actual photo trip report…

Park III: Disney’s Animal Kingdom

For the first time in 5 years, I would step through the gates of a new Disney park.

*cues background music*

We entered around park opening, and headed back to the staging area of the parks preshow.

The show was rather “meh”…

…but it serves its purpose…giving Dad’s something to take pictures of.

Mickey, searching for the little bastards who posted the Disney Paris videos of him.

Once the show was over, we chased the characters away, and headed over to grab some FastPasses for Kilomanjaro Safaris, and then made a giant cut over to the first ride of the trip…

*cues more background music*

Expedition Everest. I admit….I had seen every picture, watched every pov, and sat through all of the Discovery programming on this baby. I knew more random facts and figures on this thing, than I do about my baby, the Matterhorn Bobsleds. And I was ready.

No more waiting….its time to face Harold’s cousin.

The line was absolutely gorgeous….even if it sucked up half of the rides budget!

Ryan, having a random spasm of excitement, or fear, or probably just pent up sexual frustration.

For my cherry-popping inaugural run, I decided it would be best to request the front, which was very doable.

Despite being in the front row of the first attraction of the trip, a brand new million dollar e-Ticket attraction…I’m still technically on Californian time, so I look a bit tired.

I had my first taste of Bird-on-a-stick! My second taste would be later this week, at Ohanas!

Contrary to what it seems, I’m not yawning. As a matter of fact, that Yeti woke me up!

Long story short, Everest was fun. It wasn’t more, it wasn’t less. It was just fun. It offered a fun coaster section, with fun show scenes, and an awesome Yeti animatronic that you see for two seconds. All I suppose I could have asked for, without sounding like Elissa ordering food.

After Everest, I was awake, and finally able to enjoy the park itself. Disney’s Animal Kingdom is definitely a beautiful park. It is artistically designed to imitate a lush forest atmosphere.

Since I havn’t yet included a picture of the TPR van, I thought I would throw one in.

Between the humidity and the temple ruins, it sort of felt like Thailand, which I just visited earlier this year.

Yea, I’m pretty sure I’m related to that guy.

Onwards to Africa. They really got that whole “3rd world failed attempt at modernization after the weak imperialistic European infrastructure fails to support a healthy country” feeling down very well! Kudos to the Imagineers!

It was at this time that we met up with Soren, who was a really great dude! It was also time to use our FastPasses for Kilomanjaro Safaris…

Here we go…

All and all, this ride was “ok”. It didn’t really measure up as a great theme park attraction or a great educational experience, but I suppose it was a good attempt at trying to mesh the two together. The ride was very well staged, and it was very cool to see how close you seemingly get to these animals. It was rare that you would pick up on a boundary or enclosed animal area. However, I will say that the ride was irritably bumpy, as the bench-seats weren’t necessarily the most comfortable things in the world….at least by the end of the 30 minute attraction.

Exclusive POV shot!

Elephant cock, elephant cock, elephant cock…

Again, it was cool to see the animals like this, out of a cage and all.

Yay! Lets all of a sudden pretend in the last 30 seconds, that this is in fact a theme park ride!

…I suppose it could have been worse. It was a “cute” ending, I guess.

I can relate to this buddy here…I’m hairy, yet people love to stare at me all day.

Oh just the thought of a water ride is making me wet!

Kali River Rapids was admittedly a fun attraction. The queue felt sort of like a Halloween attraction, as you can faintly hear chainsaws in the background! It was shorter than Grizzly River Rapids, at California Adventure, and probably could have used an extra scene or something. The story is sort of rushed, but compared to Grizzly, I commend it for at least having a story! The drop is awesome, as all drops are, but I personally prefer to be spun, where as this drop is a “if your one of the two people facing the landing, your guaranteed to be screwed” drop. Long story short, any ride with chainsaws and fire is a good ride to me!

Grrr…I had to get wet!

At this point, we decided to hit up the Everest single-rider line, on the way to the other side of the park.

The ride is definitely well placed, and looks beautiful!

Ok, I admit, this time I was yawning. Mind you, I am running into 8 am PST, on 45 minutes of sleep.

Whoops! Didn’t mean to throw in one of the ultrasound pics!

Oh my God that’s just soo……… *grabs Vaseline* ….er, I’ll be back in a bit.

It was at this point that we continued walking around the park, to the other side. As you walk through the a dense forest in Southeast Asia, you all of a sudden emerge upon a hidden gem buried in the depths of all of the lush scenery…

….wtf?

“I don’t think we’re in Asia anymore!”

It was at this point that we had entered Dinoland U.S.A.! Oh wow…what a change in scenery. …literally. I mean, this land was probably one of the weakest Disney-themed land I have ever been in. I mean, technically Scream is better themed, as at least its parking spaces are authentic!

Either way, Dinoland offered us yet another credit…Primevil Whirl. Another “first” for me on this trip, as it was my first spinning wild-mouse credit, ever.

Oh God, I feel sorry for Jon!

….geeks.

…after calling them geeks, I promptly set up a similar shot for myself.

At this point, we got the call that Elissa was out front with a bus-full of new people to meet! So we left. On the way out, we passed to one attraction that I would be forced to come back to Animal Kingdom to get, as I was informed that, “we will wait for Dave before riding that.”

All and all, I thought Animal Kingdom was a "nice" park. Not really a great one, but a nice one. The park was very beautiful. Everywhere you look, you feel like you are staring into a painting of a remote jungle pathway. The only problem is, they tried so hard to establish the "secluded" and "wild" feel, that the pathway system is, generously put, horrible! It's as if they took the "hub" system, chewed it up, swallowed, digested, and then threw it back up again. There is no easy way to get between attractions, as the few attractions are strung together with a confusing network of windy pathways. But except for Dinoland U.S.A., I was throughouly impressed with the level of detail and themeing each attraction seemed to display. Everest was great fun and had great reride value. And the Safari and Kali River Rapids had good stories and offered fun expirences. In the end, Animal Kingdom wasn't as bad as I had heard it would be. I found it very enjoyable. Although I do think it could use some filler attractions to occupy some of that vast space between major rides. Perhaps some air-conditioned dark rides would be nice. What do you think Dave?

Alright folks! That should do it for now, but trust me, the photo trip report is still getting started! I hope you enjoyed this installment! I realize it’s a lot more of a “review” than of just “us goofing off” pictures, but I just need to get this crap out of my system, and then I’ll be ready too goof off. So thanks for putting up with me, yet again!

Questions, comments, concerns, and praise, welcome as always!

-Jahan

Getting around Animal Kingdom is my one major complaint about the place--having the bridge between Everest and Dinoland helps a bit. It is a beautiful place, though, and Expedition: Everest was a blast.

Awesome Trip Review Jahan. You have put all my thoughts about the park in a nice little picture novella. I had a great time there, but found it a little lacking. Even with kids, I could see this park being a shorter day at best. I think just because of my kids loving the animals so much, we could probably squeeze an extra 2-3 hours there depending on how busy it is.

Anyway, awesome job. I look forward to more pics. Oh, by tha by, where am I?

Oh yeah, Having Kraken eat my phone at Seaworld!