TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ Good luck, it's girl scout day on the 20th. If it wasn't, I'd be going then also, but I pushed mine up a week to tomorrow to avoid the lines. I made the mistake of going on physics day back in May and it was PACKED...at least for a May weekday it was.

yes it all does contribute to the ride experience, but don't look at them as numbers or stats, just think of how the entire ride experience was and then compare.

Since Im going to assume that you were aiming that at me...I didnt bring up stats, its just what you feel on the ride. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out - just ride.

And as you said, entire ride experience matters.

Basically, for an accurate representation, look at Mitch Hawkers poll. Mf has by and large the most riders - only 6th. Ive been on two of the rides below it and I think they are both more fun than MF is even. I think MF suffers from so many people saying its the best, partly from its golden ticket status, that many just dont want to say its not that great.

That and height and speed are two of the larger phobias so for most people its da scurriest ride eva...haha.

I'm going on the 20th with a few friends, mainly to ride Maverick a couple times (hopefully), and hit everything else worth hitting. Any suggestions on what times to ride Maverick for minimal waits, I personally don't care about waiting but my friends do.

hmmm. I'm not sure all I can tell you is about the times when I rode because frontiertown is kinda away from everything else.

I got in line the first time around 3pm and got off the coaster around 4:15pm.

The second time I rode we got in line at 9:20pm and after a breakdown while i was in the train about to be launched which lasted about 15 min, and after riding it , it was 10:45pm. so it was around 1 hr. 15 min wait during two of the busiest times.

***SPOILERS**** lol

o yea and I think the Maverick line is one of the funnest lines to wait in. The whole ride area including the lines and queues (sp?) is themed really well IMO. Sure, there could be more theming, but really CP doesn't theme too much and Maverick is still prolly the best themed ride at the park.

The queue area and track area is mostly all fenced in a farm/western style. There is alot of western landscaping. The first big sets of queues sits on the side of a bright blue pond. the line the goes around the edge of a pond and up into an old frontier/barn building that hangs over the pond. Meanwhile there are several speakers all over that play country and western music.

As many people have said on this thread, "Maverick is better than Millennium Force."

Add me to that list. Maverick really does offer a lot in its course. The fact that CP finally realized "taller =/ better" is good enough for me!

Yeah, I'm glad that they finally put in a coaster that will continue to thrill and be fun for years and years to come. Rather than the "one hit wonders" they've been putting in, that will get old and dull after a period of time. When that time comes, they will be stuck with a very expensive "has been".

But you do realize that Cedar Point has to entertain more than just you and everyone so critical about coasters, because let's face it, there's more people that go into that park that know nothing about coasters than people that do. The general public doesn't look upon Maverick as "OMG it's sooooooooo talll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!," it's just another coaster going by, and when Cedar Point builds taller, faster, and more mind-boggling coasters, the GP will be more pleased. Cedar Point is a business and they do what is best for their profit, and I think larger coasters do that well for them. When somebody sees something huge or that Cedar Point has built the worlds tallest coaster, they want to get there just to ride it and say to everyone that they rode it. When they see a coaster like Maverick, they think, oh, I have something like that at my local park. I'll just go there...

And living in New Mexico, getting no press coverage for Cedar Point rides, I actually saw Top Thrill Dragster on the news the year it opened because it was just so out there and extreme. I have yet to see any news coverage of Maverick at all.

It's not that Cedar Point doesn't like it's thrill seekers, it's just that they are a business, and they need to attract more than just locals and thrill seekers.

It seems Maverick is now braking harder before the launch.

When I rode it opening day, it didn't even come to a complete stop in the tunnel. It slowed down to probably 10 mph and then was immediately off again. I noticed in the reverse POV that the ride basically came to a complete stop, and this is what recent reviews are saying about it too.

I kind of wish I could have experienced the launch from 0 mph. It seems like it would be more intense.

And for the record of this whole debate going on right now... I prefer MF over Maverick, and I was surprised when I first found out how many people considered Maverick the best ride in the park.

I just got back from my first trip to Cedar Point (I live in Orlando) and I have to say Maverick is the best coaster there. It has everything in one ride, speed, forces, and inversions. The whole ride is just lots of fun. It's definatley better than Millennium Force and all the other rides at Cedar Point.

It's Extra Point day again. Since they made the POV a day or two ago (see latest blog entry) maybe this time we will get the POV. Maybe this time...

EDIT: Has anyone else seen Cedar Point ads online? I just saw one while looking at dictionary.com of all places...

^the golden ticket awards will rank it high because it's at Cedar Point.

Maverick looks like an awesome ride, and it appears to be the best ride at CP. I don't think it is a top ten coaster world wide, but it sure seems better than MF.

You can tell this guy is a hater!!! To claim that not one CP coaster cracks the top ten, you are nuts!! Don't be jealous of CP.

Actually its called "Getting out and riding other rides other than only visiting CP in your lifetime and realizing that majority of CP's rides are not that great"

MF is a borefest compared to Maverick. Honestly, Id rank MF higher if all it did was go up the hill, come down, go through the overbank and end.

You have a 101 coaster count...some of my favorite rides are at Cedar Point, and I have been to almost every major amusement park in US and the UK

I rode Maverick yesterday. I liked it alot it was very exciting, very fast and has great airtime. I rode in the front row, the drop is insane and it is a very good ride IMO. My only complaint is that I rode with my arms up and on all the quick directional changes my shoulders banged aganist the restraint. So ride arms out not up

Just got back from my trip. It easily beats out MF, and is my new favorite coaster. It's one hell of a ride that's well worth a long wait.

BTW, Jon, I saw you today. I completely forgot when I was on the platform and realized it later. You remember when that person puked on the last seat of the black train this morning? I was the one standing at he turnstile with the black steelers shirt and glasses while you were talking to the other op as they cleaned it. I was also with a tall kid with a red Georgia Bulldogs shirt. She was saying how you were the 'expert' on coasters and all those annoying kids were asking all these dumb questions.

Dandaman, thanks again. Your "trick" worked great. We parked in the SC lot with no problems. After we got in, we went to Maverick right away and it only had a 45 minute wait *would have been 30 min., but someone threw up in the last seat of the black train and it took the ops 15 min to clean it up), but when we got off, the people from the front gate were there and the wait was almost 2 hours.

When I rode it opening day, it didn't even come to a complete stop in the tunnel. It slowed down to probably 10 mph and then was immediately off again. I noticed in the reverse POV that the ride basically came to a complete stop, and this is what recent reviews are saying about it too.

I kind of wish I could have experienced the launch from 0 mph. It seems like it would be more intense.

And for the record of this whole debate going on right now... I prefer MF over Maverick, and I was surprised when I first found out how many people considered Maverick the best ride in the park.

It varies. This morning, the train didn't even get below 15 MPH and just launched, but when i rode it at the end of the day, it came to a complete stop. The launches are the same, you didn't miss out on anything, they are equally intense.

The only reason I rate Maverick higher than MF is because MF is aging and starting to show it. The ride I had on it today was VERY bumpy and a little bit un-enjoyable...something I thought I'd never say. MF when it first opened, would be a closer decision as to what was better, but, now that MF is 7 years old already, Maverick wins easily, in my opinion.

Having just returned from two awesome days at the Point, I have to chime in. I could not disagree more that MF is aging poorly. My four rides over the last two days were the best and most consistent I've ever experienced. EVERY hill produced great floater air all four days! The temps were in the low 80s and the trains just flew through the course. I did notice a few bumps this year that I didn't rememer in years past, but to say it's aging poorly is the exact opposite of my opinion. Minimal off-season maintanace could easily fix the few bumps I expereinced.

Regarding Maverick, like everyone else has said - WOW! Given the extreme changes in direction and laterals the ride produces, I would be more concerned on how Maverick ages (it really throws you around). The only thing I did not enjoy about the ride is the trim brake at the top of the hill after the launch. I completely understand why it needs to be there - but would prefer a slower launch with no trim - it negatively impacts the rides flawless pacing imo, and is the only negative with the ride. You would think the first half would be more intense than the last half, but that was not my experience (especially at night). It's a great addition to CP's lineup of exceptional and unique rides!

^ Never said anything about the floater air, it's still there and just as good as it was when it opened. I just said that it was very bumpy and vibrated a lot, and not as smooth as it used to be. I don't know, maybe I just caught it on a bad day, now that I think about it, when I went in May it was smooth as glass, but the temp was around 55 degrees, so, yeah. I thought it was going a little faster than usual, I'm glad someone else thought so also. I actually grayed out from the bottom of the first overbank to halfway through the first airtime hill, and I was towards the front of the train. I never gray out in the front, it only happened once before in the last seat. Don't get me wrong, I still love MF, it's my second favorite, and a very close one at that, it's just that I like Maverick, as of now, better.

^You know, I'm going to CP this coming week, and I've been hearing alot about greying out and blacking out on Millenium Force. That just makes me really nervous. I've never come close to it before, but my tallest and fastest coaster was only 205 ft. and 75 mph.

I'll post when I get back. Maverick looks AMAZING! As Thom25 said, we should really think about what's going to happen when Maverick ages. I'm sure CP would keep it in pretty good condition, though.

The amount of braking before the launch depends on if the block is clear. If there's a train sitting in the final brakes, you're going to sit there. If it's clear, you just push right up to the launch.

Dandaman, thanks again. Your "trick" worked great. We parked in the SC lot with no problems. After we got in, we went to Maverick right away and it only had a 45 minute wait *would have been 30 min., but someone threw up in the last seat of the black train and it took the ops 15 min to clean it up), but when we got off, the people from the front gate were there and the wait was almost 2 hours.

EXACTLY the case with my visit as well. Sucks about the protein spill, but glad I managed to steer you in the right direction regarding parking.

...Photo TR?

You have a 101 coaster count...some of my favorite rides are at Cedar Point, and I have been to almost every major amusement park in US and the UK

Yea, and with that low, but decent count I have even I think alot of CP's rides arent that great. They arent even all that super fun unless you have the right people. And the right people can make any ride fun.

Add to that fact that Im studying for Engineering school and I dont find many of CP's rides, other than Raptor, Maverick and TTD to be that inspiring from an engineering standpoint.

Maybe its living too close, having too much of CP, or its that coupled with their rides not being that exciting. Its probably both.