TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Could it be both? Something like Mystery Mine or Superman down in Australia? Why can't it be a dive machine with a dark ride beginning?

While it's certainly possible, and that'd be undoubtedly awesome, I just don't see it... But hey, you have my vote for best idea (non-RMC, non-Flyer) yet!

The land that is opened up isn't exactly lakefront. I think a larger coaster would have to go in that spot if there is to be any view of the lake. That's just how I remember the park layout, so I may be wrong.

Tearing down the old dorms would free up some lakefront land, but I'm not sure how realistic it is. There is still some space adjacent to the road on behind the Luminosity grandstand where Wildcat once stood.

^^Anything higher than the trees would give great lakefront views. 100' approx.

I think I am the only one who wants a 17 inversion gerstlauer coaster to take the record of most inversions on a single coaster

After everything that has happened over only two years with Smiler? No.

I think I am the only one who wants a 17 inversion gerstlauer coaster to take the record of most inversions on a single coaster

I'll be honest... A year ago, I would have been completely on board with this! But now, I'm not so sure...

I'll be honest... A year ago, I would have been completely on board with this! But now, I'm not so sure...

I think the smiler was a freak thing.

But you don't see a timeline of the parks "Legacy of world class dark rides" now, do you?

Theme park speculation is serious business!

Calm down, I was just joking.

But that teaser screams dark ride to me, just sayin.

But you don't see a timeline of the parks "Legacy of world class dark rides" now, do you?

This is why I think it isn't going to be a Dark ride. Why would they be teasing the entire summer just to switch it?

Don't forget: Wonder Mountain's Guardian IS considered a coaster...

Exactly, this will be a "new breed of coaster" for CP.

The coaster is plagued with issues.

The problem with the smiler is the height restrictions. They had to make a duel lift, with way to many sensors.

Ha trust me, you don't want anything like The Smiler. It's just not that great of a ride, the inversions are fun to a point, but it's just nothing special. Also the Gerstlauer rattle is pretty bad on it and the roughness on certain elements is pretty nasty. It's just not really suitable for Cedar Point.

^^^If the park's height restrictions are in fact a cause of the various incidents (including the major one) with the ride, wonder what that'll mean for height restrictions at that park in the future?

As for CP, has anybody seen signs of the b&m track being shipped out anywhere from the plant yet?... To either CP or CW?

Edited by canadianparkfan

The problem with the smiler is the height restrictions. They had to make a duel lift, with way to many sensors.

Parts have fallen off the ride on more than one occasion. That's quite significant, and much more than a height issue.

20235015706_2ddcde1572_z.jpg

Link

^^Not to continue to be the bringer of disappointing (for most, at least) possibilities, but "Historic" doesn't necessarily mean "record breaking." It could be referring to bringing back a part of history - ie. a dark ride, particularly an homage to the Pirate Ride. Honestly, breaking records just doesn't seem like reason enough to say "Historic"...

Having said that, this really is succeeding at amping me up for the announcement, which is, obviously, their intent!

I don't think Cedar Point could make this anymore obvious that they are announcing a coaster, without clearly saying "We're announcing a coaster!", and yet people are still thinking this will not be a coaster?

That makes two Cedar Fair announcement dates set now:

Tuesday, August 18th - Valravn at Cedar Point

Thursday, August 27th - Carolina Harbor at Carowinds

I don't think Cedar Point could make this anymore obvious that they are announcing a coaster, without clearly saying "We're announcing a coaster!", and yet people are still thinking this will not be a coaster?

Look, I REALLY want this to be a coaster too! But I DO NOT get the "obviously it's a coaster, duh!" vibe from anything I've seen yet. Assuming there is a coaster element to the dark ride (Like WMG), even the wall procession could be pointing to it. What do you think sounds more "Historic", and EPIC - grabbing the attention of everybody, not just coaster enthusiasts... "Announcing, Cedar Point's first immersive dark ride and roller coaster experience!" Or... "Announcing the world's highest, fastest, and longest Dive Coaster!" Again, I want this to be a coaster, but I've seen nothing yet to make me certain it will be, and plenty to give me doubts that it will be.

These next 15 days may be the most tense days of the year. If its a dive coaster I will be beyond happy, a dark ride, its OK just not something insanely special. Wonder Mountain Guardian is not a people gobbler at all, while a B&M dive coaster may not have a capacity as large as Raptor or Rougarou, im pretty sure it is larger than a dark ride. Actually does anyone have a capacity number for really any dive machine? Just wondering.

Actually does anyone have a capacity number for really any dive machine? Just wondering.

Baron 1898 has a capacity of 1000 riders per hour.

Griffon 1400 riders per hour.

Ovlivion (AT) 1900 riders per hour.