TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

As I've been following this forum and reading/speculating with the rest of you what VF has in store for us in 2015 and beyond - a lot of which revolves around the rumor that VF is scheduled to get a similar multi-year investment like Carowinds is getting - I've noticed that not much has been discussed about the "other" stuff. By "other" I mean Carowinds revamping of its food and entertainment programs - focusing on more local options to give the park a more unique feel.

I think that could be very exciting for Valleyfair - especially for the food. Imagine if they ditched Ben & Jerry's and brought in Izzy's or Sebastian Joe's ice cream. They could get rid of Cinnabon and bring in Tobies Bakery. The pizza could be provided by Pizza Luce, etc. Granted, it would probably all be expensive, but it would be a welcome change from the current crop of national chains that include $8 six-inch subs.

We got stuck on Wild Thing last year during ValleyScare. It was only about a 5 minute wait, and they got us going again. It was kind of cool to sit there on the lift hill and look at all the fog below. It was such a still night, that the fog just lingered. It was so cool at the top of Wild Thing in the front row, looking over the edge of the lift hill down into the fog and darkness of the first drop!!!

Hopefully no issues this year when we visit during ValleyScare.

The picture below is form Tony Clark's twitter feed for CP. Just like every other park there is a lot of speculation this time of year. I thought his list pretty much covered every CP rumor out there this year. Kind of like all the ones in this forum.

481959659_TonyClarkWishList.jpg.9de280b726db9a7831391a27c6cf7979.jpg

Edited by RCjunkie

I think that could be very exciting for Valleyfair - especially for the food. Imagine if they ditched Ben & Jerry's and brought in Izzy's or Sebastian Joe's ice cream. They could get rid of Cinnabon and bring in Tobies Bakery. The pizza could be provided by Pizza Luce, etc. Granted, it would probably all be expensive, but it would be a welcome change from the current crop of national chains that include $8 six-inch subs.

Nothing wrong with Ben and Jerry's but a little more local would not hurt either. A Red Savoy, Cossetta's or Pizza Luce for local Zaa would be sweet though. Tobies Bakery on the other hand would be epic! I would be there right at opening all the time on weekends for breakfast if they had a Tobies. Their cinnamon rolls crush Cinnabon's. I just wish they had a Tobies some where in the Twin Cities let alone VF but I like the way you think.

The video said "Take one last stand". Then in the press release it says "SANDUSKY, Ohio (Sept. 2, 2014) – It’s the “last stand” for one of Cedar Point’s steel scream machines." and "Guests still have time to give Mantis a “standing ovation” before it shuts down permanently on Sunday, October 19 at 8 p.m." (and the quotation marks were IN the actual press release, I only added the bold text). I really doubt its being removed, with all these hints I would assume its just the rumored conversion and they're just playing with the GP like SFMM did with Colussus. Plus we're pretty sure we're getting a waterpark expansion this year, so even if Mantis was removed it wouldn't come here.

^Another possibility could be block sections. Maybe another train hasn't cleared the brake run/MCBR yet, so it had to slow down or stop on the lift. However, unless the Wild Thing ops were insanely fast, I doubt that's the case. Could be possible on Renegade though.

I'm pretty sure that block violations aren't the problem because on a normal day when Wild Thing is running two trains, while one train is leaving the station, the other train is pulling into the final brake run. Usually when the ride stops on the lift hill, I see the other train coming to an instant stop on the brake run at the same time the other one stops on the hill, and I'm not sure what causes that, but hopefully it can be fixed.

Edited by VF15

I work at the park, I know why they stop it so often. Surprisingly ALOT of guests film on the ride, to the point of them having to stop the lift 7-8 times a day. People just never learn. If they actually used disciplinary action there wouldn't be as much filming, thus less down time. Most of the time they let them off with a warning and tell them to put their phone away, unfortunately I don't think that will fix the problem. Sure there is mechanical problems here and there, but mostly its because of guests breaking the rules

I'm going to go out on a limb here. No hint this time just an observation.

Tony Clark from CP on a twitter posting had a list of "To Do" items. Number 3 was "relocate" Mantis. It didn't say convert, dismantle or anything else.

I'm totally just thowing this out there. What if Cedar Fair is going to relocate Mantis to Valleyfair? Maybe even convert it to a floorless? This would be in addition to the water park makeover that we all pretty much know is coming. Think of it, Mantis is already paid for. It would only be the cost of shipping and reassembling it at Valleyfair. This could be done fairly cheap. Then we could still get a brand new coaster for 2016! Two coaster in two years! how sweet would that be? I've ridden on Mantis and though it was a pretty fun ride! What does everyone else thinK?

Tony Clark from CP on a twitter posting had a list of "To Do" items. Number 3 was "relocate" Mantis. It didn't say convert, dismantle or anything else.

I'm totally just thowing this out there. What if Cedar Fair is going to relocate Mantis to Valleyfair? Maybe even convert it to a floorless? This would be in addition to the water park makeover that we all pretty much know is coming. Think of it, Mantis is already paid for. It would only be the cost of shipping and reassembling it at Valleyfair. This could be done fairly cheap. Then we could still get a brand new coaster for 2016! Two coaster in two years! how sweet would that be? I've ridden on Mantis and though it was a pretty fun ride! What does everyone else thinK?

Hopefully not. If it was to be converted to a floorless coaster, I might be okay with it, but if not, then no thank you. All that I've seen says that Mantis is probably getting floorless trains and getting rethemed. Besides, Cedar Fair needs to build something of high quality at Valleyfair and not go on the cheap for once.

I work at the park, I know why they stop it so often. Surprisingly ALOT of guests film on the ride, to the point of them having to stop the lift 7-8 times a day. People just never learn. If they actually used disciplinary action there wouldn't be as much filming, thus less down time. Most of the time they let them off with a warning and tell them to put their phone away, unfortunately I don't think that will fix the problem. Sure there is mechanical problems here and there, but mostly its because of guests breaking the rules

My three times this year and the one time last year on WT all were just mechanical issues. But it sure is getting annoying over the last 2 years though, more people think it's OK to take a picture or POV on a coaster in amusement parks. This year I told a mother in the row right in front of me if she didn't put the phone back in her pocket on WT's lift hill I was going to knock it out of her hand because it was a safety issue concerning me. She gave me a dirty look and did it but there is no way I am going to let some idiot handle their phone on a coaster while I am riding it if I can help it. Don't need it flying out of their hand and hitting me. If parks don't start doing as you say and enforcing this safety rule it's just a matter of time unfortunately before someone gets hurt and costing the park some serious $$$. This year I have seen people on WT do just that but a few cars ahead of me so I did not notice it until the turn around and your too far away to do anything at that point except keep a close eye on those fools in case they do let go which of course affects my ride. Thanks! . Even last year year I was stopped on the lift hill for High Roller, some kid taking out a phone to take a picture/POV on the lift hill. Seriously?! I like High Roller a lot but it is not worth taking a picture or POV on the lift hill. On a funny note it is a good thing they sent a ride op up when we were stuck at the top of WT's lift hill a couple weeks ago because the ride op had to convince someone in the first car to put down their phone because they were actually in the process of dialing 911 and it had only been 5 minutes at that point. That would have been some unneeded drama.

But, Nina knows that wouldn't ever happen.

. On a funny note it is a good thing they sent a ride op up when we were stuck at the top of WT's lift hill a couple weeks ago because the ride op had to convince someone in the first car to put down their phone because they were actually in the process of dialing 911 and it had only been 5 minutes at that point. That would have been some unneeded drama.

Strangely enough, we had to talk a couple of parents out of doing the same thing when they're kids were on a ride being evac'ed. Funny thing is, even if 911 dispatch got the call, they would contact the park and ask if we needed any help. We'd tell them we had it under control, and they wouldn't actually send anyone out. Also, the kids would have been safer and off quicker had we not had to evac them, since they were the only ones and now instead of simply waiting a few minutes to get the train back into the station, we had to completely stop and start manually unlocking harnesses and walking the kids down the tower.

I was just thinking about this: How would you guys feel if Valleyfair got a Chance Rides Hyper GT-X coaster? If you're confused, Lightning Run at Kentucky Kingdom is example of this coaster type. Based on what I've seen and heard about Lightning Run, it sounds like a great coaster with lots of airtime. I've seen that coaster show up in lots of peoples' top 10s in their signature, and a coaster that wows people like that would do wonders for Valleyfair. However, Lightning Run only cost $7,000,000, so some of us might get a bit angry at CF for investing in another cheap coaster at VF. Also, Valleyfair. Needs. A. Coaster. With. Inversions. Oh, did I mention that VF needs a coaster with inversions?

image.thumb.jpg.cd369037c53ab4a5f248641d17a4449a.jpg

One of these at Valleyfair?

I was just thinking about this: How would you guys feel if Valleyfair got a Chance Rides Hyper GT-X coaster? If you're confused, Lightning Run at Kentucky Kingdom is example of this coaster type. Based on what I've seen and heard about Lightning Run, it sounds like a great coaster with lots of airtime. I've seen that coaster show up in lots of peoples' top 10s in their signature, and a coaster that wows people like that would do wonders for Valleyfair. However, Lightning Run only cost $7,000,000, so some of us might get a bit angry at CF for investing in another cheap coaster at VF. Also, Valleyfair. Needs. A. Coaster. With. Inversions. Oh, did I mention that VF needs a coaster with inversions?

Honestly I would be happy with any coaster we get in the next few years as long as it isn't a shuttle or super short. Lightning Run would be a cool coaster to have in the park, and it would fit in with the last few upgrades we've gotten (geared towards family). But since we already have Wild Thing which has the same track and includes airtime and such I would think they would try to steer clear of that and get something unique so it won't look like we have two of the same coaster (less appealing to the GP and harder to advertise). Not to mention Excalibur is basically a 25 year old Lightning Run. Side note: I'm not saying "I think they would try to get something unique" because I hope they will get something bigger or better, or because I personally want something different, that is just me saying "I personally am not sure they would get a coaster that has lot of features similar to coasters they already have".

If and when VF gets a new coaster I hope it will be a B&M. The park lacks a signature ride and really only a B&M is going to fill that void.
Fixed it for you. Also, how come an Intamin, Premier, S&S, Mack, etc couldn't fill "that void"?

If and when VF gets a new coaster I hope it will be a B&M. The park lacks a signature ride and really only a B&M is going to fill that void.
Fixed it for you. Also, how come an Intamin, Premier, S&S, Mack, etc couldn't fill "that void"?

Not my homepark so I don't care what they get, so not fixed

Honestly not sure why the chain suddenly thinks VF is worth investing in

Edited by CaliforniaPinto