TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Hi everybody I had a question about summer crowds at LC. I plan on visiting Saturday June 20th from about 5pm to 8pm closing that day. My main interest is Boulder Dash but would like to pick up the Wildcat and Zoomerang credits too. Is it a realistic expectation to ride all 3 and get 3-4 rides on Boulder Dash on a Saturday in June given just a few hours in the park?

I have stopped by the park on Saturday nights in the past and had no trouble getting 6-8 rides on Boulder Dash after 5PM, your plans sound solid to me.

• 2 months later...

Here are a few pics from a recent off-season tour! Dino Expedition is a lot cooler than I thought!

Here are a few notes.

-Park bought a 100ft tall led tree for holiday lights, I believe it will be set up in the middle of the entrance.

-Outdoor acrobat show is now in the starlight theater, clown haunt will no longer be in there, possibly outdoors.

-Other outdoor haunt was canned due to short time between October and December. (Too long to take down)

-A little bit of track work was done on BD, the brake run and turnaround area got work.

-Wildcat looked the same as before. (no work)

-La Fiesta may be re-done next season.

-Park buys 4 pallets of new life jackets each year because they "disappear".

-Lots of new LED lighting coming in. Downtimes lights were $24,000.

-Campground is looking great. Lots of additions like wifi, electricity, and fans for the teepees, new cub huts, and an awesome new wooden bear on top of the camp store building.

image.thumb.jpg.2c4b3a337baaaa53f6807ea3c1a8552a.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.14855cfe88603538d3acae9fed788fcd.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.5c25c8e38b5cd224cbe591d17f475f3f.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.e4cd2d4a9df6345589570b457015d4ac.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.44715cb23abaec321ea11ce9a114f206.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.033e551610bf62a7df6fc357e7445348.jpg

• 1 month later...

My family will be stopping by Lake Compounce either Saturday July 26th or Sunday July 27th. We plan to spend the morning/afternoon in New Haven and go to LC for their evening pass (after 5 I believe). The park is open until 10 Saturday and 9 Sunday. Do you think it best to go Sunday because of lighter crowds or Saturday for later hours? Is 4-5 hours enough time to work through the park? And I also can't find mention of the actual price for the evening pass online?

• 3 weeks later...
My family will be stopping by Lake Compounce either Saturday July 26th or Sunday July 27th. We plan to spend the morning/afternoon in New Haven and go to LC for their evening pass (after 5 I believe). The park is open until 10 Saturday and 9 Sunday. Do you think it best to go Sunday because of lighter crowds or Saturday for later hours? Is 4-5 hours enough time to work through the park? And I also can't find mention of the actual price for the evening pass online?

There is no mention of the evening pass on the website. I am also wondering what is the cost and if it is still offered for 2015. 5 hours is plenty of time to hit the coasters and most of the rides, including the train and beautiful sky ride. The 10pm closing time will give you the opportunity for night rides on Boulder Dash, which is one of the best coaster experiences to be had.

I would go on the Saturday, usually they will run two trains on BD when they are more crowded, which will make the line move very fast. Saturday would allow you to get late night rides on BD, and would allow you to watch the laser show at 9pm then ride BD after.

LC for their evening pass (after 5 I believe). And I also can't find mention of the actual price for the evening pass online?

Does anyone have an idea of what this pass costs? I can't find any info online either.

^ & ^^^ The pass after 5pm is $23.09 after tax. I had the same question and that was the answer the park sent when I got in touch with them through their website.

Thanks man.

So it doesn't seem that boulder dash has any new track on it this year. It is running absolutely horribly.. I never thought in a million years I would say this but, it was worse than wildcat. Even after coming from kings dominion riding hurler and grizzly, those seem relatively smooth compared to how shaking it has gotten.. Wtf lake compounce?? Boulder dash was the only thing keeping their park a destination. Such a shame.

I rode it in the middle of last summer and at the very end of last year. The midsummer rides were great but my October rides on a wheel seat mid-train (yeah...:/) were incredibly painful. My back hurt for over a week. I figured the cold weather was the main factor but now I'm not so sure. The funky "triple-up" toward the end of the return leg was the worst part. Had to move it out of my top 10 for the time being.

I'm pretty tolerant of roughness on wooden coasters too; I can reride Ghost Rider and Mean Streak many many times from most seats and be completely comfortable. I mean, they're "rough", but simply not painful at all like this was.

At the same time, agreed, Wildcat was running awesome in October!

As long as you sit in the front of one of the cars it is not bad.

It is bad when riding Boulder Dash comes to this.

It definitely is rougher but that is how it works with wooden coasters.

No, that's not how it should work if you want to keep your wooden coaster in the Top 10-20 range.

I don't want to sound like I'm trying too hard to defend LC before I get out there and ride it for myself, but isn't it safe to say that every top ten woodie save maybe Phoenix and the Intamins have been through their share of rough patches?

Boulder Dash has never really been a "smooth ride", when you are traveling at that speed from the start to finish of a ride you can expect it to be a bit rough in some spots. If it bothers you that much then don't ride it. Coasters are supposed to be ridden for fun, not to complain.

^^I have lived in CT 7 years now and have had my fair share of rides on BD. The ride I had this year, in a wheel seat, was on the shakiness level of the first turn of hurler for much of the second half. It's still rideable, but it is a vast difference from the ride that I rode even two seasons ago. My sister and her friend, who have ridden this coaster in the past and loved it, had a poor enough experience to not want to reride again until they retracj a good amount.

^^I have lived in CT 7 years now and have had my fair share of rides on BD. The ride I had this year, in a wheel seat, was on the shakiness level of the first turn of hurler for much of the second half. It's still rideable, but it is a vast difference from the ride that I rode even two seasons ago. My sister and her friend, who have ridden this coaster in the past and loved it, had a poor enough experience to not want to reride again until they retracj a good amount.

I'll take your word for it, you've ridden it many more times than me. As for that picture, I really hope this is the long awaited custom steel coaster this park needs.

Curious as to what this addition could be. The early announcement date makes me think they want to start construction early, so perhaps are semi-large coaster of some sort? A Zierer similar to Impulse would be a nice fit at the park IMO.