TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Considering that by that time The Pike in Long Beach (still the scariest coaster I've ever ridden) had closed...

I envy you for getting to ride the Cyclone Racer. It closed when I was about nine, and I wished dearly that my dad would have taken me there. He rode it many times and told me the stories. I went to what was known as "Queen's Pike" in the early '70s, on the same site as the original Pike, and they still had their old wooden wild mouse ride. For whatever reason, I didn't ride it when I was there. At that time, they also had a steel coaster, called Cyclone, I think. It was an off-the-shelf Pinfari Zyklon or something like it.

Two summers later, the oversized Mouse coaster (can't remember it's name) that was next to Guest Services opened

That was the Mountain Express, a standard Schwarzkopf Wildcat. I rode that many times.

Thanks for sharing your report.

Eric

^ 93 times on Revolution? I'd jump at that opportunity, especially since it was pre-OTSR!!

Great story, thanks for sharing!!!

Any chance you have some old photos stashed away?

No, I have no photos older than 5 years ago-I had all my old photos and stuff in a storage locker that was seized and auctioned off while I was in the hospital.

I envy you for getting to ride the Cyclone Racer. It closed when I was about nine, and I wished dearly that my dad would have taken me there. He rode it many times and told me the stories. I went to what was known as "Queen's Pike" in the early '70s, on the same site as the original Pike, and they still had their old wooden wild mouse ride. For whatever reason, I didn't ride it when I was there. At that time, they also had a steel coaster, called Cyclone, I think. It was an off-the-shelf Pinfari Zyklon or something like it.

The first coaster I ever rode on was the old wooden coaster at the old Elitch's Gardens in Denver-I think I was 9 years old, and barely made the heighth marker. As I remember, it was a completely different feeling ride than Colossus-more like the Big Dipper in terms of smoothness (all wood coasters are gonna be bumpy, but some are worse than others). The next summer I remember going to the Pike after my dad had a really good day at Hollywood Park-instead of driving home to Palmdale all pissed off cause he lost all his money (the usual outcome), he got a couple of motel rooms, fed us kids Mickey D's and then took my mom out for dinner, then took us to the Pike the next day.

^ 93 times on Revolution? I'd jump at that opportunity, especially since it was pre-OTSR!!

Great story, thanks for sharing!!!

Any chance you have some old photos stashed away?

No, I have no photos older than 5 years ago-I had all my old photos and stuff in a storage fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo that was seized and auctioned off while I was in the hospital.

Sorry to hear that. Keep coming with the recollections.. they are just as interesting!

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there was anyone here familiar with the hiring process. I attended the job fair this year and i just got a call back yesterday and so I'm supposed to go to HR on Friday and do some things (*not exactly sure what). But I know that am supposed to bring various documents to prove identity, etc.

I was wondering, what is the process from here? Am I on the path to getting a job at the Mountain or are there still obstacles coming up?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there was anyone here familiar with the hiring process. I attended the job fair this year and i just got a call back yesterday and so I'm supposed to go to HR on Friday and do some things (*not exactly sure what). But I know that am supposed to bring various documents to prove identity, etc.

I was wondering, what is the process from here? Am I on the path to getting a job at the Mountain or are there still obstacles coming up?

If it's anything like Gadv's, there will be lots of sitting and waiting to be called. Followed by meeting with someone from HR to verify all your ID. Then you'll have a very short, pretty basic interview. From there they will give you a packet of paperwork to fill out and return to HR as soon as possible. They may or may not give you a Discovery training date after you return the paperwork but you should get one soon after. That's the way it pretty much works for new hires at Gadv and from what I hear all the parks have pretty similar processes when it comes to hiring.

^^As I remember, they jus task you some pesonality questions, (standard) and ask you what you would be interested in working in. My interview only lasted about 15 minutes. Unless they changed the process dramatically since 2007, as long as you do't come off to the interviewer as Norman Bates, you're in. Good luck and hope you get it.

I think you should be fine... it says winds up to 12mph.

Yeah it definitely changed! It was saying gusts up to 25mph earlier.

Even when winds are at 25 mph, there is only a small chance of X2 being closed. The only difference you'll experience is the flames turned off on X2 and Apocalypse. Unless there are huge gusts, you can't really feel the wind in the park (except the parking lot).

Hey guys,

If you got a call back and you do well with your paperwork (like you're not on drugs or a serial killer or something) you probably have a pretty good chance. However, almost everyone I've known who's worked at that property (Elissa included), it has taken a few weeks from the paperwork to actually getting hired. So don't get discouraged if a few weeks go by and you don't hear anything.

It took Elissa nearly six weeks to hear back when she was told "we desperately need people to start ASAP!"

I too was at "the mountain" today. I studied all night for my Superman rehearsals. I got 8 of them. I was there around noon when they started. This ride is just amazing! I've never gone 104mph backwards. I was told they clocked it this afternoon when I was there. I also complemented Neal Thurman (on the platform) for revitalizing an "old ho hum" ride.

Riddler is back to 2 train operation. "Pocky" aka Apocalypse is down to 1 train for annual maintenance according to the posted sign. I got my reps in early today.

I found the Superman figure that used to be on top of the tower. He is sitting on the ground next to a$$man to the west of the "Pocky" lift hill. You also can see a lot of track and cars for the Green Lantern there also.

I hate to end on a bad note, but here it is. Today's crew at Goliath was one of the worst I've ever experienced. Their dispatches were so slow and irregular, it was unbelievable! They had 2 trains running, but the queue line was barely moving during the hour I waited to ride.

Superman is a must ride for all...

^ Sounds like a pretty good day!

Overall, how busy was it? (did all of the other rides have really long lines?)

It was pretty busy since the weather was so nice. It's been so cold and wet out here for the past few weekends, so a lot of pent up demand. Most lines were fairly long.

Im looking at a video of some tech rehearsals that was posted today and I noticed that the left side car now has a green wrap on the front (and a few new ones on the side).. Kinda funny how theres so much green with the que line neon lights and now the nose of the car when Superman's weakness (kryptonite) is the color of green also..

EDIT: Heres the video..(not mine)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54KHTQuR6wY

Im looking at a video of some tech rehearsals that was posted today and I noticed that the left side car now has a green wrap on the front (and a few new ones on the side).. Kinda funny how theres so much green with the que line neon lights and now the nose of the car when Superman's weakness (kryptonite) is the color of green also..

I'm hoping the statues come back to the loading platform. It looks weird without them. I'll be back for more rehearsals today. It's as noisy as before, I guess that's the nature of the beast. Most of my rides yesterday were in the first launch row with 2 seats. I looked to the side at the top of the hill and I was even with the brakes up there.