TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ I understand where you're coming from. I personally just didn't find the valleying all that "cool", and just felt a little off after the experience. In hindsight I probably should have sucked it up and continued riding, but my dad and I just felt disenchanted, and we also needed to get back down to Anaheim for our dinner plans at Disneyland. But like I said, it just give me reason to make a return visit some day.

I feel where youre coming from. Ive never valleyed but I imagine its pretty damn scary.

It's really not. Scary would be if another train entered a block while you were going back and forth, or if a wheel assembly exploded, or if a tree fell on a ride and derailed it, but if you've just valleyed, even if it's due to some wood issues or the coaster chucking a wheel, it's really not that big of a deal. When it's happened to me I usually do a quick visual and mental check to make sure there isn't another train heading our way, and then you just ride it out and have fun!

Also, a valley is completely incomparable to a MCBR stop...at least a MCBR stop is technically supposed to happen from time to time...a valley is completely unexpected

Totally disagree. There are anti-rollbacks on coasters for a reason. Why do you think some coasters have evac platforms in certain spots? Sure, it doesn't happen as often as a mid-course brake stop, but it happens more than you think and the parks and staff should be trained for it. Like he said, they got them off the train pretty quickly once it came to a stop. Not sure what exactly the big deal would be.

^ I understand where you're coming from. I personally just didn't find the valleying all that "cool", and just felt a little off after the experience. In hindsight I probably should have sucked it up and continued riding, but my dad and I just felt disenchanted, and we also needed to get back down to Anaheim for our dinner plans at Disneyland. But like I said, it just give me reason to make a return visit some day.

I feel where youre coming from. Ive never valleyed but I imagine its pretty damn scary.

It's really not. Scary would be if another train entered a block while you were going back and forth, or if a wheel assembly exploded, or if a tree fell on a ride and derailed it, but if you've just valleyed, even if it's due to some wood issues or the coaster chucking a wheel, it's really not that big of a deal. When it's happened to me I usually do a quick visual and mental check to make sure there isn't another train heading our way, and then you just ride it out and have fun!

Also, a valley is completely incomparable to a MCBR stop...at least a MCBR stop is technically supposed to happen from time to time...a valley is completely unexpected

Totally disagree. There are anti-rollbacks on coasters for a reason. Why do you think some coasters have evac platforms in certain spots? Sure, it doesn't happen as often as a mid-course brake stop, but it happens more than you think and the parks and staff should be trained for it. Like he said, they got them off the train pretty quickly once it came to a stop. Not sure what exactly the big deal would be.

You're also a more seasoned rider than most people. Again, I've never done it so I can't say for sure, it's just my *personal opinion* that it would kinda be a buzzkill to valley, when the general perception is that that's not supposed to happen. Do I know I'm safe? Absolutely. But I'm not gonna pretend that it wouldn't freak me out at least a little.

Last January. Superman failed to gain speed and we didn't even clear the track to vertical then we braked to a stop after coming back down. Stuck out there for 15 minutes. It was awesome

I always feel bad for the poor mechanics who have to grab a winch, pull it out there, then come back to operate the crank to get the car back to the station. If it doesn't stop perfectly on the brakes at the bottom of the tower, that's the only way to get it back!

Edited by Jew

Last January. Superman failed to gain speed and we didn't even clear the track to vertical then we braked to a stop after coming back down. Stuck out there for 15 minutes. It was awesome

I always feel bad for the poor mechanics who have to grab a winch, pull it out there, then come back to operate the crank to get the car back to the station. If it doesn't stop perfectly on the brakes at the bottom of the tower, that's the only way to get it back!

I was curious as to how this was done. I figured it would depend on any potential damage as well as the location on the track as that's quite a steep hill the train will have to climb to get to a position where it could potentially gain momentum again.

You're also a more seasoned rider than most people. Again, I've never done it so I can't say for sure, it's just my *personal opinion* that it would kinda be a buzzkill to valley, when the general perception is that that's not supposed to happen. Do I know I'm safe? Absolutely. But I'm not gonna pretend that it wouldn't freak me out at least a little.

I just make the assumption that anyone "seasoned" enough to be on an enthusiast site like this would also probably want to experience something cool like that at a park that not a lot of people get to experience. I mean, hell, on one of our tours once a park PURPOSELY rolled back their coaster for us. No one freaked out. Some of those people it was their first major coaster trip.

Sorry if it's hard for me to comprehend how this would actually freak someone out, especially when they know they were totally safe.

I just make the assumption that anyone "seasoned" enough to be on an enthusiast site like this would also probably want to experience something cool like that at a park that not a lot of people get to experience. I mean, hell, on one of our tours once a park PURPOSELY rolled back their coaster for us. No one freaked out. Some of those people it was their first major coaster trip.

Sorry if it's hard for me to comprehend how this would actually freak someone out, especially when they know they were totally safe.

Don't remember saying I would freak out…all I was doing was agreeing with Genx that, yes, I can understand how a valley might put a damper on your day, considering it's so unexpected and therefore could be off-putting. I also agree with the viewpoint that it could be really cool and exciting. I don't understand how this has turned into a debate

This. Last night I was on California Screamin when it e-stopped and had to be evacuated and I thought it was so cool to have to have maintenance let us out and climb down the stairs from the brake run

^^ I get that it could be a buzzkill, but for me personally after a buzzkill like that it would just motivate me more to go jump on something exciting. I have been evac'd from a coaster before, from V2 last year, and I was stuck there for a good half hour. When I finally got liberated from that seat (hydraulic restraints required special machinery to open the restraints outside of the station) I was dying to go jump on another coaster.

I got stuck on the lift of Riddles once and we had to take the stairs down. That freaked me out, but more so the hiking down stairs part. I've had a failed launch on Superman once, plus a few times going through the station to the emergency brakes. That never really caused an issue for me.

I don't understand how this has turned into a debate

WTF?!?!? *YOU* turned it into one! I just asked the guy a question and then you kept going on and on about it. You, yes YOU Orlando Guy was the one saying stupid stuff like "a valley is completely incomparable to a MCBR stop" when how would you even know if you've never experienced a ride that has vallied?!?! This is the kind of dumb comment I'm talking about when I say that I wish our members would think a little bit before they post. First you turn the discussion into a debate by throwing out "facts" that are retrieved from your anus, and then you question why it's turned into a debate?

Look in the mirror pal...

Edited by robbalvey

That would suck... Luckily. We only had to wait for the mechanics to come and what I am guessing is reset the system. Then the car came back slowly back to the station under the LSM power.

the second time i rode Yolo opening day we flew threw the tunnel. i was all giddy knowing we would roll back. sat in the tunnel for about 10 minutes and launched back and again over the hill. started the chanting re-ride and they let us go again.

I've never had to walk down a lift. Honestly, i'm a wuss and would hate to have to. but damn, right i'd get right back on.

still hoping for a rollback on xcelerator or top thrill dragster.

And a side note. I need to high five whoever had the idea of turning superman around backwards. I love that ride now!!!

Same. It's so much better! What's funny is that if you ask Dreamworld, they'll tell you it was their idea and if you ask Magic Mountain they'll also say that they came up with the idea. I'm guessing it might have been someone from Intamin mentioned it to BOTH of them and they were sold!

Edited by robbalvey

Ultimately whenever a coaster is stopped when it is not supposed to the average guest who isn't an enthusiast will automatically go into panic mode. Robb's point is just that as an enthusiast you would think that we should know better...but to each his or her own.

I don't understand how this has turned into a debate

WTF?!?!? *YOU* turned it into one! I just asked the guy a question and then you kept going on and on about it. You, yes YOU Orlando Guy was the one saying stupid stuff like "a valley is completely incomparable to a MCBR stop" when how would you even know if you've never experienced a ride that has vallied?!?! This is the kind of dumb comment I'm talking about when I say that I wish our members would think a little bit before they post. First you turn the discussion into a debate by throwing out "facts" that are retrieved from your anus, and then you question why it's turned into a debate?

Look in the mirror pal...

I will be the bigger person and avoid getting into this with you. I dont see the need to type angry things at a computer calling other opinions dumb. All I will say was that, no, I did not mean to turn anything into a debate by simply agreeing with a poster saying I can understand and sympathize with his experience lol. That never required or prompted an argumentative and antagonistic reply. So with that, I'll continue on topic...

The pictures of the lift hill look very, very cool. The blue-green is a great combo. I think that after a while the RMC layouts will get a little repetetive but the side-by-side aspect of this one should make for a great experience with a lot of novelty.

I was at the park again today. I'll be back tomorrow for the morning season pass ERT on YOLO.

I do have some information on Apocalypse. It was closed today also, and will be for awhile. It was a wheel problem, and that caused damage to one side of the track. If it was only 1 train, they could still run the ride. That's not the case. I miss "Pocky!"