TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Seriously, you guys are expecting too much. It's just going to be like YOLOcoaster's announcement yet again: disappointment.

You have to construct your expectations with the full realization of the park that's going to be fulfilling them. Full Throttle is exactly the kind of ride SFMM would want to build, and later operate and maintain on their budget along with all the other rides that they have.

That's one of the reasons why I think these hopes for an "Iron Colossus" of sorts are little far-fetched, at least for now.

Yeah I'm not sure we'll see a dueling coaster with different elements. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only dueling coaster that Six Flags has installed that features different ride experiences was Batman & Robin: The Chiller. And even then, the most distinct difference was the first part of the ride. The 2nd half was the same. But I think you are right about MAgic Mountain wanting to install their 20th coaster fast...but honestly is it weird to say to lay off the coasters for a bit(unless its the colossus conversion) and install some good thrilling flat rides!!! (S&S Screamin' Swing please)

^^That is what I have been thinking. In fact, it would not surprise me too much if the park just decided to add new trains, then then modify only one part of the ride to add an inversion.

Still, even if they only decided to do a full RMC of just one side, it would still be the one of the best things to happen to the park in the last ten years. This may be the first opportunity in a while for a park to build an exceptional coaster, as the last large-scale attraction built at the park was Tatsu in 2006. Anything added after that was either just a modification to an existing ride, or an attraction that could be easily be found at a medium sized park.

^ I'm not saying FullThrottle is bad or anything as I haven't even ridden it but I find it funny how they managed to make it sound like something massive (which even broke a record) while, in reality, it was a pretty small investment for an adult coaster. Honestly, I don't really see them doing one side and leaving the other one untouched. Maybe they could do one with I box and the other with topper track but just one would be rather ridiculous, to me.

As far as Iron Colossus goes, I've always thought SFMM needs to go all out or not do it at all. While it may not be that popular of a ride anymore, Colossus is still one of the most famous coasters in the park and a poorly done refurbishment could potentially do a lot of damage. I do think the potential for something as depicted in the video is there simply because SFMM could promote it as a record breaking ride, but if Iron Colossus is indeed expected to be a 2015 attraction the ride would need to close before this summer in order to have any shot at being ready for next summer.

As for the idea of converting one track and leaving the other alone, I'm willing to bet that wouldn't happen. I could see making the ride only a single track, but I don't think the structure would be capable of supporting two significantly different tracks without heavy modification. I do think this would be bad for the ride's image, however, as it is known as a racing coaster (although it never races anymore).

It is too early to know what is going to happen, but given the way Six Flags is going now and the stated desire of SFMM for a RMC woodie I do think some form of Iron Colossus will appear in the next few years, though what it will be and how soon I have no idea.

Seriously, you guys are expecting too much. It's just going to be like YOLOcoaster's announcement yet again: disappointment.

You have to construct your expectations with the full realization of the park that's going to be fulfilling them. YOLOcoaster is exactly the kind of ride SFMM would want to build, and later operate and maintain on their budget along with all the other rides that they have.

That's one of the reasons why I think these hopes for an "Iron Colossus" of sorts are little far-fetched, at least for now.

Hasn't it been known for a while that Colossus has been a target for SF corprate to get the RMC treatment? So I would say the chances of it happening are high

I have never ridden Colossus, nor been to SFMM, so I can't state my opinion on Colossus, but I would honestly rather see SFMM get more rides and a coaster than having Colossus get RMC treatment. Even though Colossus isn't a spectacular coaster (just from what I heard), people are going to keep riding it, iron horse treatment or no iron horse treatment. I think it could wait.

I have never ridden Colossus, nor been to SFMM, so I can't state my opinion on Colossus, but I would honestly rather see SFMM get more rides and a coaster than having Colossus get RMC treatment. Even though Colossus isn't a spectacular coaster (just from what I heard), people are going to keep riding it, iron horse treatment or no iron horse treatment. I think it could wait.

If SFMM converted Colossus, it would be quite an attention grabber considering it would be a major ride to the park ranking up with its top coasters. As well, Its a pretty classic coaster and it would probably be a big deal if it was overhauled in such a way.