TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I know I am late to the party on this one... but WOW did they do a crappy job on the station/queue/stage area. It all looks terrible!

But aside from that, the coaster itself does look like a lot of fun. I've never been a Premier coaster that I didn't like.

^ I couldn't agree more. While the coaster looks excellent, the surrounding area looks incomplete. Where are the switchbacks that almost every coaster should have? While I haven't seen it in person, I am assuming that the line is going to unnecessarily spill out on to the midway unless the hallway is much longer than it looks.

Full Throttle opening day photos

DSC00210.thumb.JPG.2ef3ea766c38f6a42056099cf7b007e4.JPG

The worlds tallest loop

DSC00152.thumb.JPG.8884f2d16ab04f231f26f6c686387441.JPG

The out of your seat moment

DSC00115.thumb.JPG.dbb2926010ac384d466d45a2972d2d61.JPG

Although the brakes start half way down the drop the moment you drop off the top hat your pulled right out of your seat

DSC00247.thumb.JPG.9e3d733c818ffba4e71b8559f813176c.JPG

You walk right under the launch track

DSC00249.thumb.JPG.7a0a8cb911ac97ee4c739e70cff4ff5f.JPG

Exposed wires my favorite

DSC00261.thumb.JPG.5dbc8c1799e51c3250036db23fb2f3a2.JPG

The launch is extremely smooth and quiet

DSC00373.thumb.JPG.6a0eecb5b457ae236c4f83d2908f0c4b.JPG

The coolest feeling, hang time through the loop

The very last row provides the longest amount of hang time it lasts for a second or two but it feels a lot longer

DSC00069.thumb.JPG.bed25f2c53b70d1c7e0b43dab178abd6.JPG

The loop is simply massive

DSC00162.thumb.JPG.b47a99cad0cb491ed99dd390f1bf5b1c.JPG

Sweep over the Superman plaza, the train is very quiet as it passes overhead

DSC00171.thumb.JPG.6fd877c88cd2320111b6c9ca4176a906.JPG

The dive into the tunnel was probably the most intense part of the ride along with the sudden stop in the tunnel

DSC00471.thumb.JPG.be0ad32afdaf76b3e8d004f0ca6a2a54.JPG

The backwards launch was a nice surprise

DSC00073.thumb.JPG.2da8d40be31e09701adeb7f718121d3b.JPG

DSC00362.thumb.JPG.ac11899a348173e72bc8734326b30d53.JPG

Cresting the top hat

DSC00231.thumb.JPG.4cd24587fa1bd093785f3df4816a4e2b.JPG

DSC00066.thumb.JPG.3f4acb751e937fabe1272b4bfe366d0e.JPG

The exit ramp is right under the brake run

DSC00124.thumb.JPG.4d5191c9a2ace49581d5ddfed117f2f6.JPG

Drop off the top hat into the brakes

DSC00184.thumb.JPG.756587fc269bf4c01c47e372e36e00dc.JPG

The wait time was reasonable all day initally the line was long but it eventually stayed at about 60-90 minutes for most of the day

DSC00415.thumb.JPG.e8964874dc8740e80923f1e1132f833e.JPG

DSC00276.thumb.JPG.2869e937df11cce47c7a055a2df7d6cf.JPG

The area around Full Throttle is still unfinished

DSC00418.thumb.JPG.3844f369f233ea9f954461fb56041d6d.JPG

DSC00622.thumb.JPG.f6d74dfe7f11d9f4dcda58f8286e950e.JPG

Some landscaping toward the entrance to the plaza

DSC00686.thumb.JPG.d0c81b45b7837acaa5250735b93ee040.JPG

LED's to light the plaza at night

DSC00194.thumb.JPG.63a0939033140c22d68d93c0b93d2376.JPG

Some entertainment while you're waiting in line

DSC00729.thumb.JPG.ebddfa26e0366490a8a4b534f9dfed34.JPG

The canopy looks really cool at night

DSC00798.thumb.JPG.8406a1ccb86d7d2e1640c60f99ea70aa.JPG

DSC00825.thumb.JPG.ed75253ac652330ba2b649399b2de134.JPG

DSC00801.thumb.JPG.5f8172fce50555e885feab2e7900c012.JPG

Train returning to the station after a roll back

DSC00834.thumb.JPG.1ce0e982a0f63b87fab373318177a30e.JPG

LSM's start in the station

DSC00833.thumb.JPG.a803fd4c4a10d25556a6f980580f154d.JPG

Green LED's on the restraints

DSC00846.thumb.JPG.849239e0e1625a26c8bc64cddbe6c594.JPG

DSC00841.thumb.JPG.bf8565f9253bceb5631735f1ac6a2e49.JPG

DSC00800.thumb.JPG.b44c5afb274f4a649b7f0684aa27de9b.JPG

The ride is a lot of fun and I really enjoyed my multiple rides. The hang time in the loop was probably the best part. Hopefully in the next couple weeks the rest of area receives some touch ups like a roof for the station and some effects in the tunnel.

Edited by RollerCoasterAwesome

I'm curious to see how that long 'hallway' works. It looks way too wide to keep people in any sort of ordered line, and any crowd (not to mention SFMM's) in a hot line with people sliding their way in front of them because it's easy to squeeze past is going to get rowdy.

EDIT: Those pictures got posted as I was submitting. The area does look like it should be pretty cool at night, and 90 minutes for a two-18-people-train ride doesn't actually seem to shabby. I do look forward to seeing the finished product when it's actualyl finished.

There are 2 sides to the walkway, one for regular line, one for Flash Pass. That is the narrowest part of the line and it is as narrow as any of the other Six Flags Magic Mountain queues. The hallway itself from the bottom end to getting on the ride takes 15 minutes. Before the rampway, there is a long entryway that is really wide. Before this, there is a huge canopy where there are temporary barriers for switchbacks. At the entrance to the canopy, it is an hour wait. I confirmed with the park that there will be permanent poles and chains installed for switchbacks under the canopy. Also, there is no entrance sign for the ride.

I know I am late to the party on this one... but WOW did they do a crappy job on the station/queue/stage area. It all looks terrible!

But aside from that, the coaster itself does look like a lot of fun. I've never been a Premier coaster that I didn't like.

I agree, the station and queue don't look like much.

Considering the Season Pass Processing line was still WELL over 30 minutes yesterday I think it's something that's totally necessary. Either that or a total overhaul of the Season Pass processing center at SFMM. Not sure how it is at other parks.

They do offer a membership plan that is all done online. So if you order a membership pass today the 24th it expires June 23rd 2014, and at that time you renew online one month at a time. So unlike the season passes that expire the end of 2013, membership passes last a complete year from date of purchase.

Membership Pass Info not to be confused with season pass.

At least i think it to be laid out that way.

^ That's gotta be brand new, hence the survey. It even says "new membership plan". Nice find!!!

Interesting in that for our current Gold Pass the payment would have been around $30 per month for the 5 passes we have but with this new membership it would be $50 per month. The Membership plan seems to be set at the current Season Pass price and not the "Buy 4 or more for $64.99" they were offering at the beginning of the year.

It also looks that while not charging "interest" the Membership is about $8 more per year per pass than just paying cash.

Will be interesting to see if the Membership cost matches the Season Pass deal in December (if they have it).

Anybody else get a survey today? It was all about using Biometric sensors instead of the current season pass line-up.

I think it's a GREAT idea.

If they do this I hope they have an "opt out" option.

I trust SF's mechanics but I don't trust their data security to safeguard my fingerprints, retina scan, urine test, etc.

I have never had a problem with my SF season pass, biometric surveillance technology is not needed. The photo is sufficient security to keep the pass from being overused. There are a lot of other things they could spend money on to improve their parks instead of this such as a roof over the station of their new coaster.

There are a lot of other things they could spend money on to improve their parks instead of this such as a roof over the station of their new coaster.

You act like SF doesn't give MM enough money to do both of those things.

(That wasn't supposed to be directed towards you, I'm just saying that MM gets WAY more attention than every other SF park.)

I completely agree with your post. I don't see how scanning somebody's finger would take less time than taking their picture. It wouldn't help with the lines at pass processing, and the pictures work fine.

SF should mail out renewed passes and let people submit their pictures through a phone to be put on their pass. Mailing passes would be more convenient than making people stand in hour+ lines just to get theirs.

Just caught up on the coverage of Full Throttle. I can admit I was wrong, the ride itself seems above average. What I don't get is the marketing/theming... it seems so random. I find the people on stilts mildly amusing.

No brakes after the top hat means crash! The number of brake assemblies installed is necessary to quickly and safely stop the train... they have to be there.

The brakes, who cares? Its after the crest of the hill so if there is AT you'll already have had it. And ya know, gotta slow the thing down : P

Sorry, I don't mean to keep being a Debbie Downer with this coaster. But since two people have mentioned this, I just need to say...

I obviously know that brakes are necessary to safely slow trains down and prevent collisions! We're of course not in magical RCT land!

I just find brakes placed for a significant portion of important drops on coasters to be uncomfortable and "cheap" (i.e. they could have somehow found a way to build the coaster to allow for a proper brake run). Of course finances were a problem, but that's exactly what I don't like about this coaster. It seems cheap.

I can't be alone in my dislike for brakes on large drops! Or maybe I can.

Money should not be an issue for a park as large as SFMM. Considering that they have the most coasters in the world, I doubt they did not invest more money into the project because it was not within their budget.

That being said, this ride does do a lot of stuff, especially for being as short as it is. In fact, I actually think that this is a fairly clever investment, as I can name few other rides this short, and built on about this budget, that do this much stuff. Even though it does not seem to come close to matching its potential, I think this will be a good time overall, and I am excited to be able to ride this next week.

Having rid the ride today, I can tell you that the brakes don't detract at all...coming down over the loop is one of the most intense moments on any coaster I've ever ridden. It's the rest of the coaster that's somewhat disappointing; it's just too short! I think having special effects in the tunnel would go a LONG way towards making the ride feel more complete.

It's not a bad coaster, but Tatsu, GL, and Apocalypse were much better additions to the park in my opinion.

No brakes after the top hat means crash! The number of brake assemblies installed is necessary to quickly and safely stop the train... they have to be there.

The brakes, who cares? Its after the crest of the hill so if there is AT you'll already have had it. And ya know, gotta slow the thing down : P

Sorry, I don't mean to keep being a Debbie Downer with this coaster. But since two people have mentioned this, I just need to say...

I obviously know that brakes are necessary to safely slow trains down and prevent collisions! We're of course not in magical RCT land!

I just find brakes placed for a significant portion of important drops on coasters to be uncomfortable and "cheap" (i.e. they could have somehow found a way to build the coaster to allow for a proper brake run). Of course finances were a problem, but that's exactly what I don't like about this coaster. It seems cheap.

I can't be alone in my dislike for brakes on large drops! Or maybe I can.

I understand. Maybe if the ride was a little longer after the top hat the brake run could have started later, but it is what it is.

I completely agree with your post. I don't see how scanning somebody's finger would take less time than taking their picture. It wouldn't help with the lines at pass processing, and the pictures work fine.

There wouldn't be a need for the Season Pass center. The survey said that when you buy your pass online you'd print it out, take it to the gate and the gate attendant would give you the plastic card pass and you scan your finger. That's it.

Anybody else get a survey today? It was all about using Biometric sensors instead of the current season pass line-up.

I trust SF's mechanics but I don't trust their data security to safeguard my fingerprints, retina scan, urine test, etc.

I have never had a problem with my SF season pass, biometric surveillance technology is not needed. The photo is sufficient security to keep the pass from being overused. There are a lot of other things they could spend money on to improve their parks instead of this such as a roof over the station of their new coaster.

Call me paranoid, but I don't really want my biometric data anywhere it doesn't have to be (driver's licence, passport etc.), I just have trust issues with large corporations, not that the last week has helped make me less so, but I think they need to have an opt out for those of us that are a little on the cautious side (I'm sure it's a fair percentage).

Well, hopefully rides like this, S:UF and Kennywood's Skyrocket are just the tip of the iceberg for Premier... These guys really seem to be stepping up their game... Hopefully their next big coasters will feature less trims on big drops though lol (all the above coasters mentioned have trims that look like they really kill the ride)

Call me paranoid, but I don't really want my biometric data anywhere it doesn't have to be (driver's licence, passport etc.), I just have trust issues with large corporations, not that the last week has helped make me less so, but I think they need to have an opt out for those of us that are a little on the cautious side (I'm sure it's a fair percentage).

They are not taking your finger prints. The scanner measures points on your finger then assigns a numerical value to your ticket. That numerical value must be matched each time you pass thru the turnstiles on future visits.

Another added benefit of using the biometric scanners is they could eliminate re entry hand stamps.

I guess I just don't understand how people who run this park think it is acceptable to open an attraction like this which is obviously underplanned and unfinished. They basically took out a load of landscaped greenery and replaced it all with concrete, and called it a plaza. They then spray painted the concrete which was very Scream-esque in my opinion and its just not the direction I'd like to see from this park.

The coaster itself is awesome. I like the launch, the hang time, and the backwards launch which imo is probably my favorite part of the ride. The cardboard cutouts in the tunnel with the flames is way lame. Almost any aesthetics on this ride you can tell were short budgeted. To not even have a cover over the station with the sun and high temperatures is nothing other than ridiculous.

Wish they would plan better or delay the opening to finish the ride instead of cutting so many things short and not finishing. Because even the untrained eye of the GP sees this stuff, and it just doesn't give a good impression, especially considering this is the presentation of their very new attraction.