TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^It's to reduce the G-Forces exerted on riders in the helix.

Correct because someone died from a brain aneurysm (pre-existing condition) on Goliath in 2001.. As far as it coming to a complete stop, I don't know the answer. I'm not going to act like I'm a ride op or engineer

I do know Titan's MCBR was slowed down drastically after that incident. I remember when I rode it opening year we would fly through the MCBR, later that summer it was always a complete stop and slow crawl out of the break run. :yawn:

Edited by snapfordakids

^It's to reduce the G-Forces exerted on riders in the helix.

But does that require coming to a complete stop and just sitting there? I get the need for the brakes, but a complete stop (and wait) seems excessive.

I agree with you that a complete stop is not necessary but that's the way the ride was reprogrammed. I've never really been a fan of Goliath so really matters little to me.

When trying to reduce the G-Forces on Goliath's helix, the easiest way to do that was to reduce the speed through the helix as much as possible. And the easiest way to do that was to have the brakes slow the ride down as much as possible (complete stop), and then let gravity slowly pull it out of the brake run. At least that's why I assume it comes to a complete stop. I never really had a problem with the strong forces on the helix prior to the change.

I really like Goliath up until the camel back. I hope sometime in the future the second half of the ride gets some sort of redesign.

Or maybe just change the MCBR so that it does not bring the train to a complete stop, and bring it back to the awesomeness it was when it first opened?

A windy cold day at the Mountain today. I was at Knotts until about 1 (sunny and near 70), and drove up to MM. I got to the park about 4 and it was very windy and cold 54. Four rides were closed when I got there: - Lex, Scream, X-2 and YOLO.

I really like Goliath up until the camel back. I hope sometime in the future the second half of the ride gets some sort of redesign.

Or maybe just change the MCBR so that it does not bring the train to a complete stop, and bring it back to the awesomeness it was when it first opened?

Except, even with the brake off, that flat, airless second half is still terrible. I'll take the redesign.

anyone see "Super Into" with Diablo Cody? i caught it by accident, only because i was watching another episode with nick young and shoes. lol anyway, they go to magic mountain. pretty good episode. alan schilke makes an appearance. i wonder if they flew him in just for the show, or he happened to be there doing some surveying?

here's a clip on youtube. i watched it on demand on directv but i think there's another showing soon.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Friends at the park have said that TC is only running 2 trains today. It's disappointing that they gave up on the 3 trains at all times policy.

what's the betting line on when it becomes two, and sometimes one train operation? 3 years? 4? lol

I'm sure they used all the parts from the green train for the others so they can't use it. if it ever was put on track at all.

I'm here now. it's pretty dead. parking is only a couple rows into the second section. yolo closed all day.

I was tempted to head up today for a few hours, if for no other reason than to see just how dead it would be. I remember the week after Xmas last year was a total ghost town, too.

I was at the park a couple of weeks ago and TC was having some serious technical problems then, too. We got in line for it three times, one time waiting 30 mins, but we never actually got to ride that day at all because it kept breaking down.

Yolo broke yesterday and was down the second half of the day, interesting that it's still down today. TC is having a lot of issues with lift 1 apparently (sensors tripping in the rain). If it's still down Saturday I might go over and find out some more details.

Also, I don't believe the green train has been salvaged for parts, two of the cars are sitting out by the ride still on their shipping crates untouched. I'm not sure where the other cars are but I'm assuming they are either still in the coaster shop or somewhere else on property and not salvaged for parts.

I was at the park today. Many rides opened late (Goliath, Scream, Riddler, Lex). Still a great day to get rides. Not very busy at all. Only about 1 1/2 parking lots full. YOLO finally opened around 4 or so. I do have a question. Where do the estimated wait times come from on the 6 Flags app?

Yolo broke yesterday and was down the second half of the day, interesting that it's still down today. TC is having a lot of issues with lift 1 apparently (sensors tripping in the rain). If it's still down Saturday I might go over and find out some more details.

Probably the photo eyes.

[attachment=0]eXBS2mA.jpg[/attachment]

All of the SF RMC's use the same type of photo eye and all of them are usually affected by rain. I don't know what they expected with the tiny photo eyes they keep using, as opposed to the giant ones that old B&M's use to use that worked fine.