TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The construction to me is going pretty slow right now, like Fury325 and Thunderbird are done and ready for testing and Twisted Colossus still has a lot of work to do on building the ride. I hope it will be ready by spring.

Remember those are brand new, they have to look at the existing structure, make sure it's structurally sound, then tie in to the existing structure and build the odd shaped ties they need to put in the track pieces!

It's a slow process, but it makes sense do to the type of project it is.

Hi SFMM fans.

First time poster, short while reader.

I'm travelling from Australia next week and one of my stops is going to be at SFMM Sat 28th Feb. Had a few questions for those with local knowledge.

- Being a Saturday i have read it is busier than Sunday's, but being the offpeak time (and after the busy-ish Presidents Weekend) how busy should I expect the place to be?

- Should i factor in getting a flash pass as a 'must' or being offpeak time its not needed? and if it is, regular or gold?

- I will be riding solo as my wife and kid will be heading off to the limited number of kiddy rides while I get to have some fun, so which rides are worth bothering with (if available) the single rider line? I've read a few are hard to find or out of the way...

- Lastly, recommended plan of attack? Will be getting there for 10am opening but won't be there till close due to having to then drive down to Anaheim and the wife/kid boredome/tiredness factor... I've read a few tips on here which say to head straight for YOLOcoaster then either check X2 to see if its already a long line (and if not, ride it) else pick a direction around the park and go from there hitting each ride in turn(clockwise/anti-clockwise?)

Thanks for any tips you can throw this way.. Rollercoasters in this area of the world are pretty boring (or non-existent) so I'm looking forward to a day full of fun

I have a rule of thumb i alway follow, well, for me Saturdays are Taboo, never ever ever ever go on Saturday, but since you are from way out of town and thats the only day you can go, then YES!!!!! get the flash pass....the PLATINUM flash pass.

Remember those are brand new, they have to look at the existing structure, make sure it's structurally sound, then tie in to the existing structure and build the odd shaped ties they need to put in the track pieces!

But...doesn't all that get done in the planning stage. Im sure they aren't playing by ear as the days go by. Ok, lets not compare it to fury 325 and thunderbird...lets compare it to wicked cyclone...

But...doesn't all that get done in the planning stage. Im sure they aren't playing by ear as the days go by. Ok, lets not compare it to fury 325 and thunderbird...lets compare it to wicked cyclone...

1) None of those rides are being built in earthquake prone California.

2) None of those rides featured over 8,000ft of racing track and structure needing to be cut away and reworked for this remake.

3) None of those rides will have the weather schedule that California has.

Ok, WC is going slow as well, the weather is a factor, but as many know, what looks good on paper, sometimes needs to be adjusted when actually building something of this nature. We all know that Six Flags Magic Mountain has not been doing a very good job and has to use up keeping colossus' structure so it's not a surprise that they may be running into a few issues with structural integrity

Building a modern steel coaster is simple, once groundwork is done its pretty much lift the support/track pieces into place, insert and tighten bolts and nuts. And even though RMC has done a couple of rebuilds now, every new rebuild is also pretty much a prototype. Yes, all track calculations and track manufacturing is done beforehand, but you cannot just scan the original structure and have it all magically appear on the computer. When using an original wooden structure there are so many variables along the way during the construction compared to building a rollercoaster from scratch.

2) None of those rides featured over 8,000ft of racing track and structure needing to be cut away and reworked for this remake.

1) that's true...

2) wicked cyclone...

3) like snow...its kinda a big factor.

I'm just being a different voice here. I don't remember Iron rattler or new texas giant taking an unusually long time, to myself and others, to construct. But then again, I may not have paid as close of attention to those projects. Personally i'm not trying to rag on the park but it does seem to be taking some time...

And that brings up another point...I can understand why SFMM, being a year round park, would do the spring openings but it seems the ring of fires wont open until "spring" of this year at several SF parks? Why does SF operate like that?

1) that's true...

2) wicked cyclone...

3) like snow...its kinda a big factor.

I'm just being a different voice here. I don't remember Iron rattler or new texas giant taking an unusually long time, to myself and others, to construct. But then again, I may not have paid as close of attention to those projects. Personally i'm not trying to rag on the park but it does seem to be taking some time...

They did take this long, even longer in the case of Texas Giant. It's February, and for my money RMC is kicking ass on this project , considering all the prep work that needed to be done. This isn't a normal steel coaster construct. This is a very large project. Larger than Wicked Cyclone as that ride is a single track. Most of us thought intially this would be a two year project.

Twisted Colossus is progressing at the speed it needs to in order to make a late May/early June opening. This is the second largest project of 2015 and is probably the most challenging, so it's not something that's going to go up quick. Based on the current state of construction, I think they'll meet their target opening.

Hi SFMM fans.

I'm travelling from Australia next week and one of my stops is going to be at SFMM Sat 28th Feb. Had a few questions for those with local knowledge.

- Being a Saturday i have read it is busier than Sunday's, but being the offpeak time (and after the busy-ish Presidents Weekend) how busy should I expect the place to be?

- Should i factor in getting a flash pass as a 'must' or being offpeak time its not needed? and if it is, regular or gold?

- I will be riding solo as my wife and kid will be heading off to the limited number of kiddy rides while I get to have some fun, so which rides are worth bothering with (if available) the single rider line? I've read a few are hard to find or out of the way...

- Lastly, recommended plan of attack? Will be getting there for 10am opening but won't be there till close due to having to then drive down to Anaheim and the wife/kid boredome/tiredness factor... I've read a few tips on here which say to head straight for YOLOcoaster then either check X2 to see if its already a long line (and if not, ride it) else pick a direction around the park and go from there hitting each ride in turn(clockwise/anti-clockwise?)

Thanks for any tips you can throw this way.. Rollercoasters in this area of the world are pretty boring (or non-existent) so I'm looking forward to a day full of fun

As you are visiting on a non-holiday weekend in the off-season, crowds will probably be moderate. Expect 30-60 minute waits for headliners assuming 2 train operation. If you had a full day or had visited the park before, I'd say a Flash Pass was optional, but since you'll likely be leaving late afternoon I'd recommend purchasing one (ideally Gold...don't waste money on Platinum). When the park opens, go straight to Full Throttle, then go retrieve your Flash Pass. After that, ride order doesn't matter too much, so just go in a logical sequence. I usually go counter-clockwise around the park to hit X2 mid-afternoon when lines are shortest (X2 is an upcharge on Gold Flash Pass). As for single rider, I'd recommend using it for Lex Luthor and Green Lantern (and Riddler's Revenge if you opt out of a Flash Pass). For all these attractions, just go up the exit and follow signs.

For a first-time visitor to SFMM, the following are your priority attractions. Focus on these attractions before others. If you do not get a Flash Pass, I would do only priority attractions on your first lap around the park, and then do a second lap if time permits to pick up the rest.

-Apocalypse the Ride

-Batman The Ride

-Full Throttle

-Goliath

-Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

-Riddler's Revenge

-Superman: Escape from Krypton

-Tatsu

-X2

There are two things you can count on when SFMM builds a new coaster:

1. everyone in this thread becomes an expert on construction, structural engineering, logistics, electrical engineering, and so on.

2. The ride won't open on time. And it's not always the fault of the ride company.

There are two things you can count on when SFMM builds a new coaster:

1. everyone in this thread becomes an expert on construction, structural engineering, logistics, electrical engineering, and so on.

2. The ride won't open on time. And it's not always the fault of the ride company.

Absolutely agree. RMC isn't going to simply underestimate how long it will take to complete a project- they have a timeline.

The thing about any construction project is that there are so many variables even the best contractor isn't immune from problems. RMC could have a sub-contractor fail to deliver, so even though that is not technically their fault...it's still their fault.

On the flip side, as has been the case with other SFMM projects...SFMM can mess up things on their side in terms of permitting and the contractors they are responsible for (station, queues, etc.)

Edited by Jew

The funny thing is, I see nothing wrong or slow about TC's construction process. Nothing. It's not a B&M. It's a complete conversion of one major coaster to another. Having watched both Iron Rattler and New Texas Giant go up, this feels very much in line with those.

Hi SFMM fans.

Budget for a flash pass incase it's unexpectedly busy but don't buy it ahead of time. I don't expect it to be terribly busy any time soon as long as there are no special events. In my opinion the regular flash pass is pretty useless, because when the park is busy enough to warrant a flash pass, I'm not going to wait the 45-60+ minutes for each ride to be busy. If the lines are short enough, I'm not getting a flash pass at all. So I get the gold flash pass which will knock almost all wait times down to 5-15 minutes. You can check into one ride and then reserve your next one while you're in the station and most of the time your next ride is ready when you come out of the exit. The platinum pass, in reality, doesn't really shorten your wait times any more than the gold pass, it's about the same. So the platinum is really only worth the money if you want double-rides (which are only allowed on some rides) or if you want to reserve rides on YOLO.

Single Rider lines are your best friend when you're flying solo. The most beneficial are Green Lantern, Riddlers, and Lex Luthor. Viper and Revolution also have them, but it's rare that you'll actually need them there. Riddlers is the one thats pretty hard to find. I'll PM you some directions to find the different Single Rider lines.

Your plan is basically the one I use. If it is busy enough for a flash pass, wait until after you've ridden YOLO (and X2 if its line isnt long yet) to get the flash pass since they arent included on it (Unless you pay $10 or $15 per ride, requires gold for X2 and platinum for YOLO)