TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Some above asked as if you are liable if a tree in your garden falls on some others car? I do not know for the US but in Germany you are! It is your tree and you have to make sure - by for example having the tree checked regulary by a gardener - your tree will not hurt others or their property. I know this because I formerly worked as a civil servant for a city and we had our own gardeners employed doing these checks on all trees on public ground.

In the US, yes you are responsible if your tree falls on another's car due to negligence, but this is usually settled by insurance companies. The homeowner's liability insurance usually covers any damages. Also, if it occurs during a natural disaster, all liabilities are waived as an "act of God." So if your tree comes down during an ice storm, it's not your fault, as it couldn't have been prevented.

I am not a lawyer but have have had this situation occur with family members. If your tree falls onto other property you are only responsible up to your property line, your neighbor has to clear his property himself. This includes any property damage. That's what insurance is for.

Trees can look perfectly healthy but have damaged root systems and then topple over in the right conditions. Unless you clear cut all the trees there is now way to "make sure this never happens again". S%^# happens. Eventually some giant sinkhole will open up and swallow a coaster.

Hmmm. Maybe we can pitch a new movie to SYFY. Coasternado.

The good news is Six Flags guests do not have to worry about this happening on Scream...

#notreestobeseen Parking Lot Y0L0 $wag

LOL post of the week.

^^I don't think clearing all the trees is the answer. Let's try to leave whatever charm, shade, and natural beauty the park still has in place please! There are plenty of coasters and rides that go 'through the trees' and are just fine.

Absolutely agree. Just maybe need a little more attention on the morning inspection to potential hazards.

For all we know the tree could have been rotten? Natural causes could have made this tree fall. I don't think removing all the trees would be the answer. They might just trim branches here and there... Assuming they aren't rotted.

There was a photo posted of the tree a few pages back, it didn't look rotten at all.

To create a short tangent from the tree business... I'm 99% sure this is the case, but when they say Colossus's last day is August 16, that means it'll be open on that Saturday and then close for good at the end of the park day, right?

To create a short tangent from the tree business... I'm 99% sure this is the case, but when they say Colossus's last day is August 16, that means it'll be open on that Saturday and then close for good at the end of the park day, right?

Correct.

Correct.

For all we know the tree could have been rotten? Natural causes could have made this tree fall. I don't think removing all the trees would be the answer. They might just trim branches here and there... Assuming they aren't rotted.

There was a photo posted of the tree a few pages back, it didn't look rotten at all.

Someone mentioned that there was an Earthquake earlier. That could have caused damage to the tree's branch.. Who knows for sure.

There was a 3.5 a week prior that was located over 50 miles away. I highly doubt that has anything to do with the tree. If I were to take an internet stab at it, I'd say that changed ground conditions due to the drought would be more accurate.

More than likely, it's just a case of 'If a tree falls in the woods can a Ninja avoid it?' heyoo....

I'm guessing a few riders may have required a change of underwear after that particular ride on Ninja! Glad no one was seriously hurt. I really hope the coaster can be repaired and opens back up soon.

Via Yelp:

7/7/2014

On the ride ninja today at six flags. my son got hit by a branch so after we got off we told them. They just told us sorry for your inconvenience. 30 minutes later as we get to guest relations notice helicopters flying over the park. Because a tree branch broke off and derailed ninja the ride. Even though we advise them that there is a branch they Ride running. After seeing the medical team and my sons chest is Bruised they still would not reimburse us for our trip of the day and then just give us complementary tickets to come back. I am not happy and I am going to pursue this further

If they would have stopped the ride and check it out when we advise them that happened it would've stopped this catastrophe I can't believe the stupidity and disregard that the workers have for there customers. They are there to protect us and keep us safe. I am so disappointed in my experience today. Oh yeah and it was my kids seventh birthday celebration that's why we're at Six Flags what a happy birthday.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/six-flags-magic-mountain-valencia-3

This was apparently reported to MM staff before the rest of the tree fell onto the track...

That's terrible but really what is the park supposed to do... stop a ride every time somebody complains like this? Sure in this case it may have prevented this but if they stopped a ride every time a guest complained about something, made up or not, rides would never run. As far as the rest of her complaint I don't know.

That's terrible but really what is the park supposed to do... stop a ride every time somebody complains like this? Sure in this case it may have prevented this but if they stopped a ride every time a guest complained about something, made up or not, rides would never run. As far as the rest of her complaint I don't know.

Yes. If a guest comes back from a ride injured (beyond things like head banging) you should (IMO) stop operation to find out why.