TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I hope they don't pass their deadline. And if they do, I hope it's not like Tatsu's delay.

And even with the delay, Tatsu opened in mid-May...haha the good ol' days when Six Flags tried opening rides before the summer rush.

Just got back from the mountain, seemed reasonably busy with hour-plus waits on most coasters by the afternoon. Got on the first X2 train of the day without too much hassle, my brother isn't a big coaster fan and didn't know about the rotating seats, so he got a decent surprise when we started flipping! Liked this more than I was expecting, rode in the back row and the ride was fairly smooth.

We grabbed a gold Flash pass for the rest of the day, useful too since Riddler was posting a 2.5 hour wait at one point. The usefulness of the pass definitely varies from ride to ride, straight onto Ninja but a 25 minute station wait for Scream.

For whatever reason Scream and Colossus were only running one train. After seeing SFGAdv run three trains on an empty Bizarro on Tuesday this was annoying. Didn't help that Scream's ride ops spent a lot of time chatting before they would dispatch each train.

Tatsu, Riddler, X2, Apocalypse and Goliath are definite winners. Green Lantern was great, our car was very unbalanced so we got a very forceful ride. Batman is good but for some reason it didn't thrill me the same way as it's East coast counterpart did.

Ride op on Viper was hyping the 7 'loops' on the ride. Someone needs to teach her the difference between an inversion and a loop.

Revolution = ouch. Lapbars AND OTSRs? Don't see that often.

Superman is awesome but (I might be biased here) doesn't feel as fast as Dreamworld's Tower of Terror.

After visiting 20-odd parks in the last month and a half, one thing I really like about SFMM is that it has some fairly unique coasters - X2, Green Lantern and Superman are great diversions from the usual Intamin/B&M invert/standup/floorless/hyper models that are everywhere.

No way Full Throttle is opening in two weeks. Plaza area is still mostly dirt and there's no sign of a station building.

Overall I liked SFMM but it's definitely a park that needs some attention to detail in operations and general upkeep. The intertwining coasters around the 'mountain' are really cool, and that area of the park is much more inviting than the concrete mess elsewhere. Will definitely be back at some point, interested to see what else this park will bring in the future.

Ride op on Viper was hyping the 7 'loops' on the ride. Someone needs to teach her the difference between an inversion and a loop

Quite frankly, the "GP" sees all inversions as loops, so it's probably better she described it that way.

I predect they'll get the ride open on the 22nd, but the area itsself will remain unfinished and look like crap.

No way YOLOcoaster is opening in two weeks. Plaza area is still mostly dirt and there's no sign of a station building.

there is no "station" in the traditional sense I think. If you look at the promo video its a canopy over the top of the station and not a building

If you look at the supports around the station they look like something that would be used for a canopy

Edited by bostonlva

Just got back from the mountain, seemed reasonably busy with hour-plus waits on most coasters by the afternoon. Got on the first X2 train of the day without too much hassle, my brother isn't a big coaster fan and didn't know about the rotating seats, so he got a decent surprise when we started flipping! Liked this more than I was expecting, rode in the back row and the ride was fairly smooth.
That is awesome, I wish I could have seen his face on the first drop!
We grabbed a gold Flash pass for the rest of the day, useful too since Riddler was posting a 2.5 hour wait at one point.
Good god, 2.5 hrs on Riddler? Even during its worst time I dont remember seeing a line that long. Thats when you definitely take advantage of the single rider line and cut that wait time to nothing!
For whatever reason Scream and Colossus were only running one train. After seeing SFGAdv run three trains on an empty Bizarro on Tuesday this was annoying. Didn't help that Scream's ride ops spent a lot of time chatting before they would dispatch each train.
Scream's other train has been in rehab for a while, Colossus no idea..doubt they'd be starting rehab on it now. The chatting thing is a problem at SFMM, it creates the SFMM-patented one train stack, where you sit on the brake run waiting to enter the station just because the ride op isnt paying attention.
Batman is good but for some reason it didn't thrill me the same way as it's East coast counterpart did.
Did you try the back row? The front row is tempting for the view, but the back is significantly more forceful. In my experience there's more difference in intensity between the front and back row on this coaster than any other I've tried (I've yet to have a back row ride on Flight Deck at CGA..to be remedied soon)
Revolution = ouch. Lapbars AND OTSRs? Don't see that often.
Yeah it originally only had the lap bars and the OTSRs were added in the 90s for some unknown reason (probably some stupid California law)...theyre a sometimes hot topic of discussion, there's petitions out there to remove them. Revolution requires a rather unique method of defensive riding to ride pain free and it took me a while to figure it out.

I was also up at the Mountain today. Not much else to say than what was already said. Pretty crowded, but cleared out later in the afternoon. There were a lot of school groups and summer camps that were there and they pretty much all left around 5. Got to see some Full Throttle testing today. Got home and saw that opening date they mentioned. Very ambitious on their part! It definitely looked like they still had a lot of stuff to do. Oh well, YOLO!!!

Edited by Musketeer

^^Rode Batman in row 6, still gave a very good ride but just not quite as thrilling as the one I had at SFGAdv. Would have liked to try in different seats but we ran out of time.

We used Flash pass for Riddler but in hindsight single rider line would have been better. The station queue was a mess, and people seemed to have a lot of difficulty understanding how to get themselves into the restraints. A lot of people were trying to jump up into the seat rather than pulling it down to their height, not something I've seen happen on any of the other standups I've been on in the last few weeks!

Did take advantage of the single rider line for Lex Luthor - no wait!

Superman is awesome but (I might be biased here) doesn't feel as fast as Dreamworld's Tower of Terror.

I totally agree mate. Superman does go noticeably higher up the tower than ToT, but I can't help but think ToT feels faster. I would say it's the intense noise you get going through recently installed tunnel.

Any chance Six Flags will invite TPR or ClubTPR members to Media day like Cedar Point did for GateKeeper? I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best! I remember the good ole days with Tatsu Media Day Camp out (hint hint).

If it's designed like shown in 2:24 then that is AWESOME and I cant wait to ride this. The second time the backwards launch is shown at about 2:44 it doesnt go back as far, that wouldnt be nearly as fun. Wonder which is the intended behavior.

The height of the back launch looks the same in both- though it's really hard to judge since it's from two different camera angles.

I agree. I watched it a couple of times and I am pretty sure it's going to about the same spot in both clips. It just looks different from the camera angles.

I'm glad to see it looks like they are pulling together to actually get this ride open on time. I really hope they decide to do some much needed rehab to the park instead of buying ANOTHER small ride like they have been. I am noticing that all my friends seem to care about is the rides, I've never heard them comment on the state of the park. Maybe it's because I'm 16 in high school and teenagers don't pay attention to things like that.

Just got an Email from Six Flags:

Full Throttle Opens June 22!

Be the First to Ride Full Throttle!

Display images to see great pictures of the park!

• Midnight Rider tickets

• Early ride time for Gold & Season Pass Holders

• Opens to public on June 22

Everyone loves to be first. Full Throttle will open to the public on June 22, and we have scheduled some exclusive Season Pass Holder events, so you can live full throttle and soar through our all-new world-record coaster. You could also be part of the first ever Midnight Rider event!

Enjoy the daring launches and inversions of Full Throttle before anyone else. On the night of June 21, Midnight Riders will get the earliest ride time and beat the rush before it opens to the public at 10 a.m. on Saturday June 22. You can purchase Midnight Rider tickets for $50 each at sixflags.com. Purchased Midnight Rider tickets will also include a Full Throttle T-Shirt and a delicious meal from the new Loaded Dogs or High Octane Wings.

Gold Pass Holders can enjoy early morning exclusive ride time on Saturday, June 22 from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Click here to register for the private Gold Pass preview. All Season Pass Holders can enjoy exclusive ride time from 9:30 a.m. to10:30 a.m. from June 24 to 28, 2013. To enjoy the Full Throttle ride event, you must click here to register for the Season Pass preview. Capacity is limited on all exclusive Season Pass events and will be offered via registration only on a first come, first served basis.

Full Throttle features the world’s tallest coaster loop at 160 feet. You’ll launch from zero to 70 miles per hour in the first of three extreme launches, giving you enough acceleration to twist through the first inversion and navigate the inside of the world-record loop. You’ll curve around the steel track and enter an inverting dive loop that plunges into a dark tunnel. Your train will suddenly halt and launch backwards up to the highest point of the dive loop. You’ll pause for a brief second so you can stare face down at the nerve-racking drop below you. Then, you’ll release and magnetically launch a third time to race out of the tunnel, soar through a high-G turn, and race over a never-been-done-before “Top Hat” that traces up and outside the world record loop. As the Thrill Capital of the World, and with the public debut of Full Throttle on June 22, Six Flags Magic Mountain will boast more roller coasters than any other theme park in the world, with a grand total of 18!

If you don’t yet have a Season Pass, it’s not too late to buy one so you, too, can be one of the first to ride. Season Passes are available for $74.99 each when you buy four or more.

If you want ERT, check your email and sign up!