TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I guess the overall opinion is that Magic Mountain is only supposed to make extreme rides which is crazy. This is still a Six Flags park and regardless it gets more large scale attractions than any other Six Flags park. Not to mention hid is the only park getting a new coaster unless you count Rattlers refurb as a new coaster. Just look at SFstl getting a 23 year old boomerang. Let's not knock the backward launch, until we ride it.

I'm stoked for this ride. Launch coasters always give me that nervous, anxious feeling when you just sit there at the start, as oppose to the slow traditional climb. I think the tunnel is gonna bring an awesome sensation being pulled back then forwards at a high speed, and then up and over that top hat. I wonder how abrupt those brakes are going to be at the end. I've never seen a coaster come off a steep hill and then end like that! The snake dive looks wicked also.

Wait a minute, I think I get where six flags is going with the backwords launch, since they're gonna have the tunnel full of fog, that may mean that you cant see anything but endless fog ahead when you stop, and launching backwards will give you that disorienting feel. But this probably won't hold true and if so, who knows how long Magic Mountain will have the fog up.

I like the idea of the backward launch. Should give a pretty amazing sensation then launching forward out of the tunnel.

I don't pay much mind to early complaints about a coaster. People complained about Skyrush until the ride started construction. To me this looks like the most re-rideable coaster added to this park in forever.

I understand what you said, but parks occasionally have spare trains that can be switched in when one has to be taken out for maintenance. You said that it was running two trains, not necessarily that that's all they would purchase, though I understand what you're saying. I just wanted to clarify, that's all. It's a year-round park, you would think they'd take initiative to keep up guest throughput year-round. But oh well.

Magic Mountain hasn't purchased an extra train for a ride since Viper. The "extra" trains they have ended up with were simply the result of the fact they can't run the rides they have to their intended capacity.

The pump houses are still there though so there may be some kind of water but I doubt the coaster will use it as a "Feature".

The pumps are so heavy, they will need a crane to be removed. Probably why they haven't been touched yet.

As for the ride? It's a credit to me. Hopefully it is exciting, but it certainly doesn't make me go "holy crap! I need to ride this NOW!".

Edited by Jew

I'm mostly concerned about capacity. This is easily the biggest, most visible coaster the park has built since Tatsu, and besides that, X2. I remember the days of 6-7 hour lines for X, and the lines for Tatsu have been pretty awful lately as well.

I think it's great they've built something unique and different, I just hope I'm wrong when I say that I think this ride could be as big of a capacity nightmare as X was when it first opened.

--Robb

I'm hoping for the best in terms of capacity as well. I always try to give them the benefit of the doubt of being able to maintain great capacity with a new ride just because I'm always optimistic but sadly that hasn't been the case for some time now.. I'll keep my fingers crossed but I won't be holding my breath!

I understand what you said, but parks occasionally have spare trains that can be switched in when one has to be taken out for maintenance. You said that it was running two trains, not necessarily that that's all they would purchase, though I understand what you're saying. I just wanted to clarify, that's all. It's a year-round park, you would think they'd take initiative to keep up guest throughput year-round. But oh well.

Magic Mountain hasn't purchased an extra train for a ride since Viper. The "extra" trains they have ended up with were simply the result of the fact they can't run the rides they have to their intended capacity.

As for the ride? It's a credit to me. Hopefully it is exciting, but it certainly doesn't make me go "holy crap! I need to ride this NOW!".

I think this ride could have been that if they had done something crazy craptacular in addition to the top hot and not just have it end like Kingda Ka. Like others had said.... given us a helix, have it play around the woods a little bit. Who knows. Overall the ride still looks fun, but could have been better.

Not trying to blow it up already but isnt Storm Runner the fastest looping coaster? 72MPH....Unless by looping they mean LOOP only not other elements. Anyway, great addition to SFMM. Just wish i didnt live 2,500 miles away
I believe that's what they meant to convey - that you will be travelling through this particular loop at a higher altitude and faster speed than any singular loop in another coaster, not that this looping coaster is faster and taller than any other looping coaster.

"The GP will eat it up" is the "She has a good personality" of the roller coaster world.

In that case, its a good thing coaster enthusiasts make up a very small portion of who actually goes to theme parks. Personally, I think its a great addition. I'm pretty sure all the same people who are saying this coaster looks "lame" are the same ones who said that about SUF at SFDK when it was announced, and that ride turned out to be pretty awesome.

The coaster enthusiast community will never be completely satisfied with new attractions. SFMM could have built a 600 foot coaster this year and people would still probably complain. I'll wait to ride it before I pass any judgement.

If this had gone to any other park, people wouldn't be as disappointed....

The comments so far, to me at least, haven't been whiny but have instead expressed legitimate concerns. To your point above, you're right -- this would be a standout ride in other parks. But you have to keep in mind that SFMM has a history of mediocrity and missed opportunities. For many, this seemed like the first chance in a while to do something special by capitalizing on the prime real estate created by removing the log ride. And, while I'm sure the ride will be fun, it hardly seems special. Other parks, often much smaller and less-thrill oriented, are getting considerably more thrilling rides added to their collection that focus more on total design rather than the stitching together of a couple of Biggest!!!-Fastest!!!-Tallest!!! elements (that, more often than not, are snooze-worthy) while SFMM seems to continue down the same bombastic path -- which is probably, from a business perspective, a wise move. I don't think anyone here is saying it'll suck by any stretch, but it seems fairly obvious to most that it's a fraction of what it could have potentially been.

With that said, regarding the weird reverse launch thing, I can't imagine it would be possible due to the fact that the tunnel will be operating as a block brake, but if the stop, reverse, and relaunch were all taken very quickly without much pause, it could certainly provide an interesting sensation. That second launch on Speed was very apparent and, if you didn't know it was there, it was fairly disconcerting. The tunnel launch on this might capitalize on something similar.

Edited by Rotura Violenta

Well - this is certainly not what I was expecting. That being said - it does look like a fun ride. My concerns kind of align with Robbs regarding the capacity...but last year's Superman addition gave a lot of people the same concerns and it seems like it hasn't been an issue there (I know - it is a much smaller park, but we can only wait to see.) For what it's worth - congratulations to SFMM and its fans for another addition to their lineup. SOMEDAY I plan on actually making it out there

This looks really fun. The Vertical Loop is nothing special though (rode one, rode them all). All those banked turns look fantastic , lot's of headchoppers, and the Dive Loop is nothing short of sexy. That looks like a really good transition, especially when darting right into a black hole (tunnel). I hope MM has some good effects in the tunnel, fog seems a bit bland, but will only add to the experience. The backwards launch dosen't seem like much of a thrill (S:TEFK) , however the back seat may tell a different story .That top hat seems to have that potential "AIR-TIME" everyone's been complaining about. The ride seems to end abrouptly though. Very good ride nonetheless.

PS.

It now seems as if MM is just building for bragging rights now......AND that video was full of False Advertising. It's just the worlds tallest vertical loop...

PPS. "YOLO!"

My "potential" favorite new 2013 coaster list so far...

1. GateKeeper

2. Outlaw Run

3. Iron Rattler

4. Gold Striker

5. Full Throttle....they could of done so much more with it. Pocky 2.

So I was looking more at the Season Pass deal ... It's pretty amazing. We are for sure going to get this even though our current passes are good until the end of the year. Probably head up to the park before HH closes and activate our new passes.

So as an example, if you are buying 4 or more passes and you get a pass now (say for Fright Fest) you will actually get the pass for 16 months. $64.99 for each pass or $5.89 per month for the next year for both parks with all the perks.

Free Upgrade to a Gold Pass, Free Hurricane Harbor and Free Parking!

To celebrate the launch of the new Gold Pass, we are offering a free upgrade to Gold (which includes a free Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Season Pass and a free Season Parking Pass at all Six Flags Theme Parks on every pass!) for everyone who buys four or more regular Thrill Passes and processes their ID's at the park by January 6, 2013.

New perks for the Gold Pass:

- Free Parking on every pass

- Free Parking at every Six Flags park

- Extra "Bring a Friend" days (these are in addition to the bring a friend days offered on the regular pass)

- VIP Early Entry to Magic Mountain (Begins in 2013)

- VIP Early Entry to Hurricane Harbor (Begins in 2013)

If you are buying less than 4 passes or after January 6th the Gold Pass will be $114.99 or $10.45 per month. Still a great deal.

I would really like to offer everyone some Cheese to go along with all this Whine....

Seriously, I understand that people are a little annoyed that the ride didn't meet all their hopes and dreams, but it's still a large scale addition. If this had gone to any other park, people wouldn't be as disappointed....

Has anyone ever told you that your posts really are completely obnoxious? And most of them don't even make sense.

--Robb "Someone needed to say it..." Alvey

My post makes sense. People are upset because the ride didn't meet their extremely high expectations. That doesn't mean I'm obnoxious for pointing out that people should be at least a little happy that SFMM is getting a new ride. I didn't realize having a different opinion was so frowned upon. Why am I such a target for you? All I was saying was that people should look on the bright side a little more...

Edited by SoCalCoasters

Supposedly this e-mail went out, I haven't gotten it yet. The last paragraph seems interesting. I guess that means High Sierra and Mooseburger will remain the same. Just everything before it will change.

Full Throttle is the missing link to our world-class collection. With a unique terrain-hugging track design blazing the mountainside by Valencia Falls, and typical of a SFMM coaster addition, Full Throttle will feature several never-been-done-before experiences. Here’s a few of the ride features that will make this coaster one of the best in the world:

– Full-circuit out-and-back launch coaster

– Record 160-foot tall loop where trains will race at speeds in excess of 70 mph not only through the inside … but also up and over the outside on a first-ever element called a top hat

– 3 separate launches including one backwards

– Two heart-pounding blasts through the 120-foot long tunnel that carves thru the mountain beneath Samurai Summit

But wait ….there’s more!

As we’ve successfully done the past couples of years with DC Universe & Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom, we will once again pool our capital money to create another WOW zone. This time we will be giving the front of the Park an overhaul of “Full Throttle” proportions from What the Fried and the WB Kids Club down to the bears at the beginning of High Sierra Territory. The experience we’re creating for our Guests will push the limits and deliver a complete sensory overload in an environment where inspiration meets exhilaration, filled with innovative surprises and hands-on interactions! Just after the Biggest Fright Fest Ever 2, a giant construction wall will barricade what just might be the biggest transformation the Park has experienced in decades, creating a true-to-brand first impression for our Guests…an impact synonymous with the kind of thrilling experiences only Six Flags can deliver.

Im kind of intrigued by this

Edited by bostonlva

It's definitely a good looking ride (as in aesthetically pleasing) and I love premiers new coaster styles, but this is a little ridiculous. They had SO MUCH SPACE, I wish they would've at least waited a year or two when they had more money to spend and made it longer and have better capacity. It seems like they're adding it just to add it. I'm looking forward to Iron Rattler much more than this.

I do kind of like though how the ride's sort of paying homage to revolution though.