TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2228 - Wonder Woman Flight of Courage REAL POV!

I've sort of let the announcement simmer in my head before I opened my mouth. The only thing I'm truly disappointed about is I feel like they just flat out forgot they have to make a second half of the ride. Top hat, drop, then it's over? Alright.

I think this rides ending is going to start the Leviathan brake run discussion all over again.

Cedar Fair is son done for!

What does that even mean?

He's clearly referring to the fact that the addition of Full Throttle with cement Magic Mountain's lead over Cedar Point as the ultimate coaster park. See, Cedar Point can only remain a successful park as long as it is able to keep its coaster count roughly equal with Magic Mountain. We coaster enthusiasts live by the principal "Quantity Over Quality." The war between Cedar Point and Magic Mountain is an INCREDIBLY important issue to us. Why do you think Magic Mountain keeps removing non-coaster rides and adding new coasters with short layouts? Because they are trying to cram in as many of those things into the park as they possibly can!

So yes, Cedar Fair is without a doubt "son done for." I couldn't put it any better myself.

Edited by smallish

oh my gosh people I was just on their FB page and was reading all the comments on the FT post and some guy named julian commented

"hey SFMM almost a year ago before drop of doom was even announced, i talked to a person in a white six flags shirt dress attire. i cant remember his name but he told me about drop of doom. either way he also mention 3 coasters.im assuming this one is one of them... leading me to believe that there are still 2 more. i asked him if he could tell me how they would look like and he said. Which ride would you have here, i said Kingda ka replica. he then smiled and nodded at me but didnt say yes or no... are you guys going ot have a kingda ka replieca in the left side of the entrance cause ive also noticed you guys are flattening the terrain?"

rumor or not I almost had a stroke when i read this.

I would really like to offer everyone some Cheese to go along with all this Whine....

Seriously, I understand that people are a little annoyed that the ride didn't meet all their hopes and dreams, but it's still a large scale addition. If this had gone to any other park, people wouldn't be as disappointed....

Has anyone ever told you that your posts really are completely obnoxious? And most of them don't even make sense.

--Robb "Someone needed to say it..." Alvey

My post makes sense. People are upset because the ride didn't meet their extremely high expectations. That doesn't mean I'm obnoxious for pointing out that people should be at least a little happy that SFMM is getting a new ride. I didn't realize having a different opinion was so frowned upon. Why am I such a target for you? All I was saying was that people should look on the bright side a little more...

The cheese and whine comment was the obnoxious part...totally ruins whatever validity the rest of your post had.

Okay, thank you for elaborating on the point. I've changed the post to reflect your civil comments regarding what you found obnoxious. That wasn't my intention. I would have gladly changed it earlier had it been pointed out.

He's clearly referring to the fact that the addition of Full Throttle with cement Magic Mountain's lead over Cedar Point as the ultimate coaster park. See, Cedar Point can only remain a successful park as long as it is able to keep its coaster count roughly equal with Magic Mountain. We coaster enthusiasts live by the principal "Quantity Over Quality." The war between Cedar Point and Magic Mountain is an INCREDIBLY important issue to us. Why do you think Magic Mountain keeps removing non-coaster rides and adding new coasters with short layouts? Because they are trying to cram in as many of those things into the park as they possibly can!

So yes, Cedar Fair is without a doubt "son done for." I couldn't put it any better myself.

I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not but Cedar Point can still remain a very sucessful park without having to keep up with SFMM coaster count. Remember they do not compete in the same region so the coaster war count is more for bragging rights and their sucessfulness does not hinge on the fact if they can keep up with SFMM coaster count. And no, Cedar Point is in no way "son done for!"

I'm trying to figure out what I think of this coaster. I mean, it looks like a very solid addition, but I'm just not excited about it. I guess it is hard to be excited with all the other great coasters being built in the US this year.

The only thing I can't wrap my head around is the backwards launch. I think it will kill the momentum of the ride experience. I'd rather see a rolling launch, but that is just me. However, when I saw the backwards launch in the video I literally LOL'd because it reminded me of the Gatekeeper video.

I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not but Cedar Point can still remain a very sucessful park without having to keep up with SFMM coaster count. Remember they do not compete in the same region so the coaster war count is more for bragging rights and their sucessfulness does not hinge on the fact if they can keep up with SFMM coaster count. And no, Cedar Point is in no way "son done for!"

You couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic? I thought that was the most beautiful piece of sarcasm I've read in quite some time.

Hot damn, I know I may have pretty low standards for a coaster fan, but has to be the most downright majestic coaster I've seen in years; the cross-over top hat and loop alone is insanely photogenic, and it looks downright intense going up into the transition. I don't care if people are saying it's short, this is probably the most impressed I've been with a coaster like this in a long time.

You couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic? I thought that was the most beautiful piece of sarcasm I've read in quite some time.

I don't know "smallish" normal type of writing so honestly I couldn't tell.

Count me in on the boat that thinks this is gonna be an awesome addition to the park. The ride itself looks pretty intense and outside of the weird backwards launch, the brakes being after the largest element on the ride, and the odd logo I'm pretty sure everyone is gonna love this when it opens to the public next summer.

When those things are the only thing about the ride to really complain about, you've got a pretty cool ride.

^^I can think of several that have been built the last few years that are far more majestic and also have much more interesting paint jobs.

Well... yeah. Admittingly, that's the one thing that's turned me off about this ride, and that would be the black-on-off-white paint job. I do think that the coaster could have stood out more if it had been painted more vibrantly.

For all the good/fun parts of this ride, I don't really understand why the train needs to stop in the tunnel, launch back, and then launch forwards just to get over the loop. (I refuse to call this a "top hat" just because the video/PR did. It's not a top hat. Mr. Freeze, Xcelerator, TTD, Kingda Ka all have top hats. A camelback over a loop is not a top hat.)

Would it not have made for more excitement/better ride/bigger airtime pop to launch the train through the tunnel building on the speed/momentum it had going into the tunnel? Stopping the train in the tunnel takes both time & energy, and I don't see the stop, go back, and second forward launch over a camelback (over the loop) and directly into brakes as enough of a payoff on the invested time/energy. Probably shouldn't mention what the additional time does to the ride's hourly capacity. Just seems like an odd design choice.

Edited by PeoplemoverMatt