TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I don't have any pics or video of the inside of the tunnel. Next time I go to the park I'll try and get some pics of the other side of the tunnel, but it's basically just a tunnel. Probably a little longer than the Revolution tunnel, and most certainly wider. If I remember correctly it was basically long enough to fit one of the trains and not much more. So however long the trains were, that's pretty much the length of the tunnel, give or take a few feet.

IMO, the chances of them using the tunnel probably aren't that great since they only removed probably 50 feet of the track on the back-side of the mountain. Any further than that you are getting back close to Gold Rusher.

This is where they stopped removing track, this is near the old entrance to the tunnel station (as seen Saturday). The light posts you see on the middle right of the picture are in the entry plaza to Superman, to give you some kind of perspective of how far it is from there. (Obviously this is probably 15-20 feet lower than where Superman's entry plaza is).

Track.jpg.045689226222014f615916017e706e1f.jpg

^ It was mentioned on Screamscape that it most likely won't be B&M. But.....you never know...

Didn't Tim also mention this at the Q&A? I know he did mention that it was his favorite coaster company. I'm pretty sure he denied the 2013 project as a B&M though...

A boom is the arm of a crane. By boom, he meant crane.

I was at the Mountain today too. Yes, there were 2 guys on the lift working on the Superman structure just above the lowest set of red aviation lights on the tower. They were pounding, grinding and welding today. They were working several flights about the reach of the power lift / crane. Something is starting...

When I was at Magic Mountain on Saturday, I noticed that the monrail track was no longer going through the tunnel that goes through the mountain. Maybe the tunnel will be used for the 2013/2014 project.

You mean this tunnel?

The Tunnel basically goes under the Laughing Dragon as shown in red. The "Tunnel Station" Metro queue can still be seen walking down the back-side of the hill from Superman to Gold Rusher. About 1/2 way down.

One other thing I noticed at Magic Mountain today. If you look to the left of the tunnel "on the backside hill from Superman" several large trees have been removed too. The placement of these removed trees (stumps still visible) are in an odd location. Not sure what this is about, but also part of this project.

A boom is the arm of a crane. By boom, he meant crane.

I was at the Mountain today too. Yes, there were 2 guys on the lift working on the Superman structure just above the lowest set of red aviation lights on the tower. They were pounding, grinding and welding today. They were working several flights about the reach of the power lift / crane. Something is starting...

That was probably them moving the stairs over 8 inches to accomodate LL:DOD.

Speaking of Intamins... Here's the footage I took of Green Lantern yesterday! Enjoy!

Speaking of Green Lantern...what is the point of the ride? I finally got the credit, and didn't get a single flip! Which made the ride uncomfortable, as it is clearly designed to flip over the turns. Definitely near my bottom 10 coasters.

Speaking of Intamins... Here's the footage I took of Green Lantern yesterday! Enjoy!

Speaking of Green Lantern...what is the point of the ride? I finally got the credit, and didn't get a single flip! Which made the ride uncomfortable, as it is clearly designed to flip over the turns. Definitely near my bottom 10 coasters.

Well, according to Tim Burkhart, "You don't want it to flip that much!" I dunno, I rode Insane at Grona Lund when it flipped 6 to 8 times during the ride and it's easily one of my top 20 steel coasters in the world. I rode Green Lantern and it didn't flip at all, and I found it boring, uncomfortable, and kinda pointless.

The ride isn't called a "Zac Spin" because it's not supposed to spin. The only "spin" I see here is how the park keeps trying to convince everyone how it's not supposed to spin very much.

--Robb "Some rides just shouldn't be in America..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

I got stuck last month hanging down with my goods being crushed for about 10 minutes on GL. Personally I don't care to ever ride it again. If it's designed to spin, it should spin. One 7/8 flip is not good enough for me. Even unbalanced was only able to get it to spin once, and on my only ride Saturday it did not spin. Slow loading, mid course stop, little to no flipping, just not a fun ride.

I would imagine that since it's had great success, SF will install them at every park.

Well, according to Tim Burkhart, "You don't want it to flip that much!" I dunno, I rode Insane at Grona Lund when it flipped 6 to 8 times during the ride and it's easily one of my top 20 steel coasters in the world. I rode Green Lantern and it didn't flip at all, and I found it boring, uncomfortable, and kinda pointless.

The ride isn't called a "Zac Spin" because it's not supposed to spin. The only "spin" I see here is how the park keeps trying to convince everyone how it's not supposed to spin very much.

--Robb "Some rides just shouldn't be in America..." Alvey

I was thinking the same thing when listening to the presentation by Tim and Neal at the West Coast Bash.

Tim really should have left on a few of those weights he strapped to the bottom of the train for Media Day. It sounded like thats what the ride needed to really spin well.

Yeah we noticed to that the ride didn't spin as much as it did when we rode it back in August. And we got some pretty unbalanced cars a few times. Not sure why, and not sure I care. At this point, I won't ride it again either.

I loved the ride last summer, was bored to tears by it on Saturday. All I can say is, onward to 2013!

Well, they have modified the cars in the last few weeks. Now the green shield that used to not be filled in like a circle now is. That is why they had one running empty on Saturday. Compare some pictures of the cars at the opening of the ride to the cars on Saturday. The shields are different.

Wow... I haven't even been on Green Lantern and I hate it, I mean what is the point of it? It looks so boring and those shields are hideous now. This feels like the typical Six Flags BS that we all wish would just go away!

This is exactly the reason I haven't bothered visiting MM for the past 4 years. It just isn't worth it.

Sad to hear all this bad news about Green Lantern. I know this sounds harsh, but I almost want to hope the general public doesn't like it either, so the chain isn't inspired to install more butchered versions. Then again, when it's partly a matter of comparison to the foreign ZacSpins, that might not be likely. It still gets long lines, right?

On the other hand, I'm still clinging to a faint hope I might manage to like this. Even if it doesn't flip, perhaps it will have some sort of appeal to my sometimes quirky tastes. I certainly like the sound of the better-run ones.

The first time I rode Green Lantern, I was a little disappointed that it only flipped once and that it stopped on the midcourse brake. However, I decided like many coasters that it deserves more than one ride before I dismiss it. On all three of my visits since then, I have rode it once per visit, and while it no longer stops on the midcourse, it still only has one flip plus some rocking. I've gotten to the point where I don't think I'm likely to get a better ride, and so I am unwilling to wait longer than fifteen minutes for it anymore.

Unlike some people, I don't want the ride to be crazy with continuous flipping during the entire ride. However, if I remember correctly the ride did three flips in the promotional video, and I would like the real ride to average three flips as well. That seems like a good number to satisfy everyone without being too much for the average guest (as I'm sure the ride could be quite intense with too many). Until this happens, if it ever does, Green Lantern will remain a C-level ride for me: Not bad, but not worth a significant wait either.

The first time I rode Green Lantern, I was a little disappointed that it only flipped once and that it stopped on the midcourse brake. However, I decided like many coasters that it deserves more than one ride before I dismiss it. On all three of my visits since then, I have rode it once per visit, and while it no longer stops on the midcourse, it still only has one flip plus some rocking. I've gotten to the point where I don't think I'm likely to get a better ride, and so I am unwilling to wait longer than fifteen minutes for it anymore.

Unlike some people, I don't want the ride to be crazy with continuous flipping during the entire ride. However, if I remember correctly the ride did three flips in the promotional video, and I would like the real ride to average three flips as well. That seems like a good number to satisfy everyone without being too much for the average guest (as I'm sure the ride could be quite intense with too many). Until this happens, if it ever does, Green Lantern will remain a C-level ride for me: Not bad, but not worth a significant wait either.

I haven't had the opportunity to ride Insane but I have been on GL and you know, I have to totally agree with every word in your post and it makes perfect sense. While it doesn't have to be totally crazy with flipping, although that would be really cool, an average of three flips sounds completely fair.