TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

A new Screamscape update had reported this:

2014-2015 - Colossus Refurbishment - (1/30/12) It’s a bit early to lock down this project, but I’m hearing that after The Rattler, Colossus may indeed be the next Six Flags coaster to get a major overhaul from Rocky Mountain Coasters. Look for this in either 2014 or 2015 and I’ll leave you with this little tidbit... if the rumors I’m hearing are true, the name Colossus may mean something to the world once again.

Any thoughts?

A new Screamscape update had reported this:
2014-2015 - Colossus Refurbishment - (1/30/12) It’s a bit early to lock down this project, but I’m hearing that after The Rattler, Colossus may indeed be the next Six Flags coaster to get a major overhaul from Rocky Mountain Coasters. Look for this in either 2014 or 2015 and I’ll leave you with this little tidbit... if the rumors I’m hearing are true, the name Colossus may mean something to the world once again.

Any thoughts?

I'm not a big with the idea of Colossus receiving this treatment. I mean if I want a fast and insane wooden coaster experience, I'd ride "Apcanator" (aka Apocalypse). On another note, however, I do see how the renovation could give this corner of the park more attention. Nonetheless, I really don't think Colossus needs the special Rocky Mountain treatment.

I think it would be nice if SFMM would delay Colossus until 2015 and get a non-coaster ride for 2014. They've got plenty of coasters, and I think they could definitely balance out their park if they got at least one non-coaster attraction between new coasters.

As for the retracking itself, if Colossus is only getting topper track I really don't think it needs it, but if they are going to make it a steel coaster it would probably become California's best airtime machine. Although I don't mind the ride as it is now, it is definitely one of the least popular coasters in the park and could benefit from an upgrade. However, I'm guessing that a simple reprofile to restore all the original hills would be cheaper and have nearly as much impact, and I'd prefer that the park keeps it a wood coaster (or adds a new woodie as their next coaster following the makeover, as a park the size of SFMM should have at least two woodies).

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it would be nice for the park to have a solid flat ride on the scale of MaXair or even SkyHawk.

Dont forget about Lex Luthor: DOD.

Well, yeah. I meant besides that.

I'm all for the retrack of Colossus. If they make the trains race again with ninety-degree turns, near-vertical drops, and several airtime hills like Texas Giant, I will have a new-found love for that ride. I think it's great the way it is, but giving it the Texas Giant treatment would make it way more exciting in my opinion.

EDIT: Colossus (as mentioned before) is one of the park's least attended attractions and it could mean something to the world, if it got the Iron Rail system.. I mean imagine seeing 90* turnovers, a 70* first drop, Huge airtime hills, and near vertical plummets on one of the world's (would-be) greatest racing wooden coasters? I'm all for it if SFMM does this, and it would be an all-time high if they did!

Edited by galindoverhere

How would they get *118 degree overbanked turns on Colossus without a complete rebuild??? They were able to do it easily on Ntag b/c it's only one track, on Colossus with the tracks so close together there would have to be some major re-engineering to get that to work.

I do think I would like Colossus changed that much if it is getting the Iron Horse treatment restoring it back to the original specs would be more then enough imo

The park tried to be family friendly. It didn't work. They found their niche as an 'xtreme' park and that's what they're going to continue as.

Ah, and when people said it wouldn't work and the park should concentrate on what they're good at---coasters---they were chastised because the park kept saying "families is where the money is." Even though it was practical to assume families would NOT be interested in driving their kids an hour to take a ride on the lamest kiddie train ride ever, with Disneyland right down the street.

Wrong again!

^In their defense, Disney doesn't have Thomas. I don't think you realize what a giant brand Thomas the Tank Engine is for little boys (and even some girls). SFMM just couldn't convince families that they were trying and had enough for kids. Trust me, I was in Gymboree and mom's groups when they were building and opening the Thomas stuff.

There are other parks in the world that use the Thomas license and it has turned their park around and given enormous profits. SFMM just couldn't make it work.

^Thomas Town was a fail, that is true. However, there is a fine line between being (little) kid friendly and being family friendly. Family friendly rides are rides like Splash Mountain or Jungle Cruise. SFMM should understand the difference between the two. Another problem I believe they have is the park's bad reputation from the early 2000's. I know many people who are still afraid to stay past sunset. The park hasn't really been that way in nearly 10 years, but the word of mouth keeps the reputation alive. Nevermind that the previous management spent millions on improvements; it's more about what used to be than what is now.

What the park needs most is probably a Blitz or an Aquatrax. However, what the park needs and what it's going to get are two different factors. It will be something extreme.

On second thought, it will probably be an Aquatrax.

What the park needs most is probably a Blitz or an Aquatrax. However, what the park needs and what it's going to get are two different factors. It will be something extreme.

On second thought, it will probably be an Aquatrax.

Not only would an Aquatrax solve any park's problems. An Aquatrax can also:

Cure Cancer

Fix the Economy

End War

No, not really. An Aqautrax won't do any of the above.

If this was on purpose, why now? Why not a time when the park is usually less crowded? Why not summer, when they can run three trains?

Six Flags has maintenance procedures; they just don't make any sense.

EDIT:

v I was just thinking the same thing.

Edited by MrSum1_55