TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

So,

I personally dont have a problem with the at-ride lockers. I usually spend my whole ride holding my pockets shut worrying about my cell phone flying out, so yeah; the address book is worth the extra buck, ya know?

Now being mandatory, can a park employee let us know if they have had problems with this? For example, a guest is turned away from riding at the actual platform. Are they given the opportunity to exit and lock, and come back up, or is the problem approached at the head of the line? It just seems to me, that having been visiting SFMM my whole life, Ive seen my share of attitude from other guests.

Ok and lastly, I dont work at a park or anything and I know the lockers are contracted out, but would the idea of a "Prepaid Locker Card" work? Like, at the locker buildings at the front of the park, there could be a sign detailing the situation with the lockers around the park and offering a, say, $5 card or password that grants access to all lockers around the park? I know it can backfire with the time limits, etc., but it seems like a good idea. Am I wrong?

Chris.

As far as the Locker Policy, I knew this day was coming because they were testing this policy at Westcoast Bash. On Scream, I was told to put my camera bag in a locker when I got to the station.

Meh, If I survived Cedar Point and BGA, I can get used to this policy at SFMM.

I just now have to remember to wear cargo shorts whenever I go to SFMM.

I totally get why they have the locker policy. I just don't like the idea that because of it, someone is forced to fork out an extra $5 for a day of locker rental at each of the described rides. I would love to see a lot of signage as well as employees mentioning this policy upon entering the park. When someone goes through my bag as I go through the metal detector would be a great opportunity to mention this fact and that there are all day lockers in the entrance plaza.

Just my 2 cents.

I've got little sympathy when it comes to the complaint about the lockers. I haven't used lockers at an amusement park in years, because I don't bring in more than I can carry on the rides. If its hot out I don't wear a jacket, and when the evening rolls in and it gets cold I make a trip out to the car so I don't have to pay to have it held. A well planned day and a trip or two to the car can really save you a couple bucks if you're really on a budget.

However, even if it came down to a situation where I needed one, $1 for a locker is not an unfair price. It costs money to maintain lockers (like Jahan said there's employees specifically for the lockers in case there are problems), and you really can't expect them to hold your stuff for free.

If a family is already spending money to get in and buy food, another $5 for using lockers (when chances are someone in the family isn't going to ride and could hold the things anyway) isn't a make or brake deal on the trip. Hell, a funnel cake costs $6.75 without topping!

So I guess what I'm saying is be glad you have a place to keep your valuables safe for a buck, and be glad they aren't charging you 2 or 3 dollars, which is what they could charge if they really wanted to (Which is what I would do if I were Tim just to see the uproar on these boards).

I liked the policy they use on the Hollywood Dream coaster at Universal in Japan. You put 100 yen in the locker, and after your ride is over, they refund your money if you pick up your stuff promptly.

I usually don't carry anything but a camera in a fanny pack anyway, so the locker policy isn't a big concern for me.

What is most shocking to me is how much people are freaking out about having to spend an entire dollar on a locker. Seriously, it's a dollar. I personally think this is a good idea, I've seen many times where an entire train will be held up because one person has to put there 10 foot tall, 150 pound stuffed Sylvester on the other side of the station. Whenever I go to a park now I typically just stop in the front of the park and get an all day locker for my stuff. Back when I used to live by SFMM, and subsequently visit the park more often, I never took anything that didn't fit safely in my pockets.

This whole locker debate is starting to remind me of the little old lady in the Supermarket who argues that her metamucil costs $3.90 as opposed to the $3.99 that it was rung up at. Half the time I'm tempted to simply give the women a dime and move on with our lives. I'd offer the same here, but I tend to think 3/4th's of you would take my dollar.

^ When my wife worked at Thrifty Drug years ago, she told me of stories of people who'd find the same item a nickel cheaper across town. They'd return the item and go get it at the other place, basically spending a buck or two in gas to save five cents!

I do like what Universal does---a free locker for 90 minutes. But, as many of you have said, I only bring the bare essentials with me to a park, and if I do any souvenir shopping, it's on the way out for the day. Some parks will hold your souvenirs for you; be sure to ask.

Eric

^That's such a bad capacity. Its really a miracle MM got it up and running enough so that the higher ups at the park didn't want it gone. When they were taking them out at the other parks, I really thought it might be a goner.

Does anyone know if the parts for Riddlers have arrived?

I would love to see a lot of signage as well as employees mentioning this policy upon entering the park. When someone goes through my bag as I go through the metal detector would be a great opportunity to mention this fact and that there are all day lockers in the entrance plaza.

It would make sense to make this a standard courtesy.

As far as the policy. I have no problem with it as I'll no longer bring anything extra into a SF park and only shop on the way out.

Outside of families with small children or people with medical needs there is nothing ones "needs" to bring into the park.

I know some might find this hard to believe but cell phones, MP3 players, and electronic games are not necessities. Society got along nicely without them for a long time. People visting amusement parks got along without them for decades.

Outside of families with small children or people with medical needs there is nothing ones "needs" to bring into the park.

And think about the traveling we have done with Kristen, the amount of stuff we bring to a park and yet we have never used a ride locker.

--Robb

Having been a SFMM regular, growing up in the days when a Twicket was actually a good deal, I always made a habit of carrying around a nalgene (or a backpack with two for my group) full of water to help recover from the absolute blast furnace Valencia can be in the middle of the summer. I can not tell you how many times that saved someone who was fading fast.

I am immediately opposed to a policy that make it more difficult (or unnecessarily costly) to stay hydrated in that environment. It is shortsighted at best, and I truly find it difficult to believe that there were no other options than to charge for lockers to solve this 'problem' as so many other theme parks have their own solutions.

I, for one, will do what I have seen others do. Break my party up. After the riders are done they will run back to the line, retrieve the item from the folks in line, double over the train again to the exit. As this method gains popularity we'll see how much faster the dispatch really is when compared to the shelves near the exit.

What is most shocking to me is how much people are freaking out about having to spend an entire dollar on a locker. Seriously, it's a dollar.

That's the thing though, it's not a dollar. It's a dollar per ride. If I could spend a dollar or even 5 at the front gate and get a 'locker pass' I can use all day I wouldn't have a problem. I don't know about the rest of you, but I tend to be very efficient when I hit a theme park and get between 12 and 15 (depending on lines) rides a day. And yes, by that I mean the major coasters... that's all I ride. That dollar adds up fast.

If they're willing to spend the money at each of these parks to have an attendant at the lockers, what's the difference from having that attendant man the cubbies or shelves at the ride exit? SF claims they don't want to add more responsibilities to the ride ops (for good reason) but they've gone and spent the money on an op who has only one purpose: You putting your stuff in a locker.

I have 0 problem with the lockers at rides. I just don't see why we should be charged for them like this. I find it silly that I'm going to have to go to SFMM with a pocket full of $1s like I'm going to a strip club to ride the coasters.

SF claims they don't want to add more responsibilities to the ride ops (for good reason) but they've gone and spent the money on an op who has only one purpose: You putting your stuff in a locker.

What I don't understand is why this is a big deal. Other big parks, like Busch Gardens, Sea World, and Cedar Point have been doing this for *YEARS*

Why is it suddenly an issue when Six Flags starts doing it?

And I don't understand the complaint about the price. Think about the average spend if you were at a park for a full day. Between parking, admission, food, drinks, snacks, and games. Wouldn't the locker rental be the CHEAPEST item of your day? Granted it's additional money, but if you're going to complain about the price of something, how about complaining about the price of food or drinks, not the lockers.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the prices. If I'm going to a theme park, a movie, a sporting event, a concert, etc, I'd be kidding myself if I thought I'd be paying the same price for stuff at those venues as I would in my local grocery store or restaurant.

--Robb

The last 10 pages is just some silly back and forth. If you dont want to spent an extra $1 to secure your items than dont go to an amusement park. Go to the movies for crying out loud.

I think everyone made there point, can't we just move on from here and talk about Magic Mountain Updates(remember? topic name) before going thru another 10 pages of the same?

I have 0 problem with the lockers at rides. I just don't see why we should be charged for them like this. I find it silly that I'm going to have to go to SFMM with a pocket full of $1s like I'm going to a strip club to ride the coasters.

So, if the lockers were handled by strippers, that would be OK?

I agree with Robb. It's common knowledge that everything at amusement parks costs much more than anywhere else (for the most part). If someone can't afford to go to one or just doesn't want to spend the money, then don't go! I, myself rely on water fountains all day to keep hydrated and only eat actual meals once or twice. Obviously that method won't work for everyone, especially those with children, but it saves me a lot of money, space, and trouble trying to find a place to put things while I ride. Smart planning and coordinating before a day at a park can save you tons.

Having been a SFMM regular, growing up in the days when a Twicket was actually a good deal, I always made a habit of carrying around a nalgene (or a backpack with two for my group) full of water to help recover from the absolute blast furnace Valencia can be in the middle of the summer. I can not tell you how many times that saved someone who was fading fast.

I am immediately opposed to a policy that make it more difficult (or unnecessarily costly) to stay hydrated in that environment. It is shortsighted at best, and I truly find it difficult to believe that there were no other options than to charge for lockers to solve this 'problem' as so many other theme parks have their own solutions.

I, for one, will do what I have seen others do. Break my party up. After the riders are done they will run back to the line, retrieve the item from the folks in line, double over the train again to the exit. As this method gains popularity we'll see how much faster the dispatch really is when compared to the shelves near the exit.

I'm not sure if you fully understand--the policy isn't "You MUST put your stuff in a locker." It's that you can NOT bring your loose articles up into the station. If you don't want to put your crap in a locker, by all means, that's your decision. But you will not be allowed to even bring the said backpack into the station.

If you refuse to comply, you will be kicked out of line. A method that I seriously doubt will gain popularity.

-Jahan

There are waterfountains all over the park and you can always ask any store that sells drinks for a cup of ice and fill it up with water from the fountains . Dont need to carry a backpack just for water that btw will get awfully warm the longer the day progresses and what good will it do you than?

Ok Jahan has clarified the policy and no one is FORCED to use the lockers... I had seen that the thread had jumped quite a few pages and thought to myself "cool, sumthin new at SFMM is firing up the boards!" then I had a flashback of this whole locker discusion from a while back as I read through the pages. Now lets all move on to the more interesting topics of SFMM, any new word on what to expect from X2 when it opens as far as the audio and visual experience?

Oh and for all of those people that wanted to see video of X2 test runs, the X2 update page has a good video of a few test runs on it...heres the link: http://www.sixflags.com/magicMountain/rides/X2transformation.aspx

Oh and for all of those people that wanted to see video of X2 test runs, the X2 update page has a good video of a few test runs on it...heres the link:

http://www.sixflags.com/magicMountain/rides/X2transformation.aspx

Wow, I gotta be honest, for the "official website" that video was pretty bad. First off, nothing happened for the first 45 seconds of the video. Then how is it that the videographer stood there for so long filming the train going up the lift, but didn't manage to get the train going down the drop? On top of all that it's REALLY shakey. Especially the shot of the train going up the lift on the 2nd run. I think I've seen handheld POV videos that aren't that shakey!

I know I'm hyper critical because I also shoot video, but to me that video looked like something an amateur on YouTube would shoot, not something for an "official" site.

I could shoot something 10 times the quality and give it to them for FREE!

--Robb