TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Do you talk to strangers in line with you?

I am going to two amusement parks this weekend, alone.

Being alone in a park is a first for me, the idea of being there from open to close without company is a little unnerving because I'm a talker and I like to socialize.

So, I am trying to find out:

Are there are others that have gone to a park alone? If so, how did you adjust to not having a person/people to constantly talk to, as you wait 2 - 3 hours for a roller coaster.

For those that do not go alone, do you actually talk to the people in line, around you?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it depends on the people there, doesn't it? I've had some very nice chats in line at BGE. Sometimes. people will think you're nuts for talking to them.

Normally I do not talk to strangers in line, unless they talk to me first. (and even then, unless its a good toolless conversation will I actually continue to talk to them). I will listen in on others conversations, especially if I'm by myself (or not paying attention to the conversation my peers are having). Its always amusing to listen to what people have to say about certain parks, rides, etc.

I'll talk to anyone in line who wants to talk to me, because I am a foireigner from an exotic location (Australia) there's usually plenty they are interested in talking about. Most of the time I wind up talking to attractive girls, one even went straight out and the first thing she said, "are you one of those coaster freaks?" Of course I said no, and I wound up spending the rest of the day with her at the park, and she was staying at the same place so we went back there too. I always have such a great time at Cedar Point.

Why go alone when you can meet some TPR's there??

Where you going?

I am with Larry and Derek, I will talk to the women or listen to how others think and talk about "how great" this coaster is.

Peace, Big Mike

I chat with ride ops sometimes. Never with the other idiots around me in line. I'm not very friendly, can you tell? hehe

Do you at least have intelligent conversations with them? It drives me crazy when people are all - "So, do you get to ride everything for free here?" as if they had to pay some kind of fee when they got in line or something.

I rarely talk to other people while waiting - but I have.

Usually if they look like they won't stab me.

In line for Millennium Force, the people in front of us lived in Arizona, where we use to live. But get this, they only live 2 blocks from where we lived, and their son went to school with me in K-3rd.

Small world, eh?

I have only been to Dorney alone and luckily because of the non existant lines, there really isn't a time when I have had the chance to talk with people in lines. I also like to listen in on conversations like the group that was waiting in the station for Thunderhawk and one of the friends insisted they were in line for Steel Force

Well, it depends on the people there, doesn't it? I've had some very nice chats in line at BGE. Sometimes. people will think you're nuts for talking to them.

When I worked for BGE (ride ops/management/maintenance), I actually made an effort to talk to the guests. It was a good way to find out what they were thinking in terms of ride (likes/dislikes) and other ways that may invite comments in improving a service(s) for the guests.

Most of them (guests) are really friendly and its amazing how much you find out about a family even if they traveled half-way across the US! I actually keep in touch with many of them (even hit me up on tips for coming to Hawaii..lol). Sadly, I do not see this anymore at BGE (especially last 5+ visits) and wonder what has happened to their customer service (in general). Just my opinion/thought, but it appears no one wants to even be at work. My how times have changed at the "Old Country". Alot of foreign workers there too, (but some are quite friendly).

No, especially not coaster enthusiasts. With normal people.. I don't want to sound like the loser who was trying to convince us that El Toro WOULD be our favorite ride while in line for the gate on Tuesday. He made himself look like a fool, an uber-dork, and someone who really is a 40 year old virgin. In the words of Carlos Mencia, the dude needs to kill himself. That's also why I dont talk to coaster enthusiasts.. I dont like a lot of them. Otherwise, I will strike up a conversation on occasion, though generally I am a very shy or reserved person until I get to know a person. Then, of course, there are linecutters who provide some *interesting* conversations at times

Well, you never know who you might meet. I checked out DarKastle at BGE on opening day (longest line ever) and had a great time with this nice young couple from Florida, one of whom had done design concepts for the ride. (I'm terrible with names, but the guy was named Joe--a sheepish hello from Chuck if you're out there, folks.) Anyway, as we entered the loading station, the designer excitedly pointed at two rather ornate windows and shouted, "That's mine! That's one of my concepts!" This was the first time she had seen the whole ride put together.

I go to my home park alone most of the time. I don't talk to people most of the time. I like to listen to what there are saying about the park/rides also. I have heard some funny things while waiting in line for rides. However, if someone talks to me I will respond.

Awww I love to talk to people because the whole fact that I always make them laugh.

Like at SFDL waiting in line for S: ROS there was this guy alone behind me and there was this kid who was wearing an orange shirt and the op yelled at him to ask if he wanted to go in an empty seat and the kid looked at himself so I looked at the guy behind me and said did you ever relise that when people yell to someone else like "HEY ORANGE SHIRT" the person always look down at their shirt and then points to themself. The guy started laughing and he was yelling "so true so true". At the time it was just hilarious, so we started talking about different times when it happens.

I could talk to anyone probaly because of skilifts because since I go skiing alot you always meet new people on ski lifts.

No, especially not coaster enthusiasts. With normal people.. I don't want to sound like the loser who was trying to convince us that El Toro WOULD be our favorite ride while in line for the gate on Tuesday. He made himself look like a fool, an uber-dork, and someone who really is a 40 year old virgin. In the words of Carlos Mencia, the dude needs to kill himself. That's also why I dont talk to coaster enthusiasts.. I dont like a lot of them. Otherwise, I will strike up a conversation on occasion, though generally I am a very shy or reserved person until I get to know a person. Then, of course, there are linecutters who provide some *interesting* conversations at times

Well you only got 20 more years.

I don't really talk to other people in line. I usually just laugh at the people who are trying to impress the other people they're with by rambling off totally incorrect information about the ride we're in line for!

(e.g. some kid in line for Raging Bull told his friends that it was the tallest roller coaster in the U.S. )

I've had several great conversations in line. I talked with two women from Fort Lauderdale in line for Sheikra, and it was a great time.

Also, I was in line for the tube bowls at SFHH-Chicago and talked with the group of four from Michigan that I ended up hanging out with the rest of the day. So a well-placed conversation can yield much.