Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

P. 674 - Joker Media Day
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

The Joker Media Day at Six Flags New England

Postby Sluggo77 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:08 pm

Six Flags New England invited TPR to The Joker 4D Free Fly Coaster media day. When we arrived the weather wasn't great but that didn't stop a good crowd from attending. The park really does a great job with these events and this was no exception. They started off with Park President John Winkler thanking everyone for coming and talking about the new additions for this year.

Not only did the park add The Joker but also new trains on Mind Eraser and an entire new season with Holiday in the Park premiering this year which will start the day after Thanksgiving. One interesting point he stressed was that this was the largest capital investment the park has made since 2000 when it was branded as a Six Flags park. I found that pretty impressive with all of the additions in recent years.

After that he turned it over to the park's awesome Communications Manager, Jen McGrath, and they invited several comedians up to do 1 minute stand up routines. They had judges from Gotham representing Bruce Wayne. After that the Joker crashed the party took the comedians away to make them be the first riders on his coaster and then blew up confetti on everyone. It was definitely an entertaining event.

OK on to the Joker. Having already been on Great Adventure's version I knew what to expect but was still excited to try it out. Although they are the same layout with a similar look I have to say I like SFNE's version better which includes the coaster and the look of the queue. The only suggestion to make it even better would be to tune it so it spins more. I had between 2 or 3 spins on the rides that I took on the green side and was told that the purple side was spinning less. I really hope they give it a shot because I think it would make it even more popular.

This 4D Free Fly coaster concept is a disorientating experience. Every ride really is different which makes it very unique. The placement in the park is great and it's a fun solid addition that will definitely draw crowds for many years to come. A huge thank you to the entire Six Flags New England team for hosting this event and to Robb and TPR for having us cover it!

Here's our onride video from the media event:

Here's some pics from the day.
01.JPG
Welcome to Agawam for The Joker's Media Day. Sky Screamer is really in the clouds today!
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG
Heading in to Six Flags New England
06.JPG
Yup that's why we are here.
07.JPG
Even with the bad weather all of these people too.
08.JPG
The joksters, judges & Jen.
09.JPG
Then this guy crashed the party and I ran into problems with him later.
10.JPG
Let's check out the queue.
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
I like how they are starting to add theming to the maintenance building. SFNE has been adding a lot of little touches like this with each of their newer additions.
14.JPG
15.JPG
Here's some of the Carnival of Criminals.
16.JPG
17.JPG
18.JPG
19.JPG
Look no line :)
20.JPG
Facts
21.JPG
22.JPG
Ease loading with these trains.
23.JPG
Here's some shots of The Joker in action.
24.JPG
25.JPG
26.JPG
27.JPG
28.JPG
29.JPG
30.JPG
31.JPG
32.JPG
33.JPG
34.JPG
FunHouse Gifts is the new gift shop addition. The Dark Knight himself is checking it out!
35.JPG
The location just makes this coaster dominate the area. It looks great in the park. Thanks for checking this trip report out!
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:37 pm.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Re: Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Postby Chasehat » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:56 pm

Pear wrote:It was strange how much ejector I got on Superman this year. It's definitely better than last year, but the restraints still ruin the ride experience for me.

I agree the restraints are absolutely terrible but the ride to me is so good I can't get all worked up over how bad the lap bars are. Id still love it if SFNE got lap bars for Superman that are exactly like Toro's.
Top 10 coasters
1. El Toro 2. Superman the Ride 3. Boulder Dash 4. Wicked Cyclone 5. Nitro
6. Fury 325 7. Afterburn 8. Intimidator 9. Kingda Ka 10. Phobia

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Sportsdude360 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:04 pm

^^ :b Nice Joker pics!!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:10 pm

Great trip report from Media Day! I agree the green side is better though the one flip I got on the purple side was superior since it occurred during the large raven turn.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, El Toro, Voyage, Cornball Express
Top 5 Steel- Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, New Texas Giant, Millennium Force
Top 5 Parks- Disneyland, Knoebels, Cedar Point, Magic Kingdom, Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby Sluggo77 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:23 pm

Sportsdude360 wrote:^^ :b Nice Joker pics!!

Canobie Coaster wrote:Great trip report from Media Day! I agree the green side is better though the one flip I got on the purple side was superior since it occurred during the large raven turn.

Thanks to the both of you. Even though the weather wasn't very cooperative it was still a lot of fun to do. Glad you liked the pics and report!

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Waltrane » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:27 pm

Very nice! I get to try out SFGA's version tomorrow!
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/d07a25bf830f44bab60863e8d0fa0958.jpg[/img][/url]

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby sfriday1998 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:55 am

Chasehat wrote:Awesome day at the park today crowds where fairly light and the weather for the most part was nice except for a 15 minute downpour midway through the day.

Superman (x9)- THE WORLD'S GREATEST STEEL COASTER WAS IN TOP FORM TODAY =). The Man of Steel was giving out crazy ejector on every ride today in both the front and back seats and it's running relatively rattle free for the most part. I had the misfortune to ride it during the 15 minute downpour and it felt like I was taking in sustained machine gun fire. Hopped back around and rode it after the rain had stopped and the track was a bit slick and holy shit was it hauling some A$$.

Joker (x2). Purple side still sucks it doesn't flip at all but got 3 on the green side. Just not the biggest fan of this ride and isn't really something I'd wait more than 10 minutes for

Wicked Cyclone-(x3). 2 of my rides felt kind of sluggish but the last one I took later in the day felt really fast. Superman is still the king of SFNE imo but WindexCyanide is still an amazing coaster that makes SFNEs top 2 one of the best in the country.

Batman (x2). Running pretty well.... A little rattle but still a nice floor less coaster with some forces unseen on most B&Ms from the 21st century.

Tea Cups- LOL, I hate riding these but my friends always want to ride them so I just do it anyway.

All in all a pretty good day of riding. Ops were pretty solid across the board and SFNE has made huge improvements there this season. Of course always some usual six flags silliness (slow food services, stapling on Superman, etc.) But I get to ride two of my favorite coasters so I can look past most small issues.

Hey! I was there at the same time you were! Only got one ride in on Joker - purple side.
Current coaster count: 72
Top flats: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, New England Sky Screamer, Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission BREAKOUT
Top 10 coasters: Superman TR, Wicked Cyclone, Nitro, El Toro, Top Thrill Dragster, Tatsu, Millennium Force, X2, Revenge of the Mummy (USH), Boulder Dash
:airtime:

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby sfriday1998 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:55 am

Sorry for double post, but this is a mini-TR w/o photos, so here we go.

Headed to the park yesterday for senior week for about 5 hours, give or take. Hung out with a friend of mine who is also into the big thrills. We got to the park in a convoy of eight buses (big school) at about 12:30. Headed straight in via tram and got in line. I used a group ticket to get in instead of my season pass - that's important to remember.

So, we headed straight to Joker for the first ride. Let me just say, the entrance is hard to find. You have to know to circle the tea cups AND crime wave to find the entrance. I will say, though, it's fitting that it's directly across from Batman's entrance. Nice TV sets in the indoor area. Apparently, SFNE has a new policy where you can't take bags on major rides and you have to get a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo for a lot of them. This SUCKS. Lucky for me, however, I carry an Epi-Pen for food allergies, so I had a medical sticker on my bag and was able to place in in a BIN on the PLATFORM. I think bins could work since none of these attractions have to get out super fast, people!

Okay, end rant, cue funny story. The Joker line was almost a walk-on due to light crowds and double loading in the station. We were assigned to the green side and just about next in line to ride. Bianca (my friend) and I were waiting for the second train. Over on the first train, three Franklin (my town and HS) kids were unloading from their ride, but one's harness wouldn't open. Literally, he had unfastened the belt holding the harness down, but it wouldn't lift up. Some other kid on the second train had the same problem. They were stuck sitting there for TWENTY MINUTES. Tommy, who had just ridden the ride, and me, were snapping photos of the Franklin kid stuck on the train, giving the cameras the finger. It was actually pretty funny. Finally, they got the second kid out, but it took another full ten minutes to get the Franklin kid out, after which he walked with his legs spread apart really far because, and I quote, "The Joker has claimed two new victims: my right and left nut"

The ride ended up being closed for 90min after that to transfer a faulty train off the track for maintenance. That was about 1:30ish. So, Bianca and I left the line, along with a Franklin group on the other side, and ended up riding Batman (8/10). Solid floorless coaster, great hangtime on the first loop, fun inversions, and I got a half-decent pose in for the camera, a first for me. After that, Bianca and I decided to do Mind Eraser with the new restraints. But, as we got in line, it started downpouring on us. We ended up leaving for shelter. Pretty sure everyone got drenched. They had to run a test train to make sure the track was still safe for people to ride on with all the water that got on it. After the rain stopped (~2:15ish), we hit up that place across from ME for lunch.

Second story. So, I'm on the dining plan, and was going to use my free lunch to get some food. However, the scanning system wasn't letting it happen. Why? Because I hadn't scanned my season pass at the gate, thereby registering that I was there. so, I had to walk from ME BACK TO THE FRONT GATE, scan my pass, and then walk ALL THE WAY BACK to get a Chicken Strips platter. Good chicken, though.

So, our time's about half up, and all we've ridden is Batman. By now, Joker's up and running early, so we hop back in line, get assigned to the purple side, and ride Joker (9/10) with two science teachers from the school (A physics teacher and a chemistry/forensics teacher) across from us in the train. Fun ride, FORCEFUL FLIPS. Seriously, I would get pinned to the seat occasionally. Kind of jerky for the first flip or two, but solid after. Don't know if I ever got a full flip on it, but that ride is solid, fun, and insane. Top three at the park for sure.

After Joker, I finally got the credit of Mind Eraser (4/10), followed by a bit of a cool down on Catwoman's Whip and GCGEFAA. Finally, we traversed the park for the last coaster of the day: Wicked Cyclone, back row. Solid 10/10. The ejector air is INSANE. You are yanked over everything, solid gs on the first drop, OMG what a ride. Totally recommend back for this ride. Rounded off the day with two rides on the Blizzard River rapids ride with my squad. We rode it together a while back and kind of had a reunion. Trust me, it's great.

Okay, last two stories, heard both of these just before the bus ride home. So, this one kid on Superman got hit by a phone. They were just cresting the first drop, when a phone flew out of somebody's pocket, passed through the gaps between the seats, and whacked this kid on the chest. He said it stung, and the guy whose phone it was ended up getting it back.

Finally, one of our group got arrested, sort of. One kid was filling up a bag from one of those penny candy machines, and this other kid was eating a couple gummies as they were coming out. He got spotted and taken to the security office. The candy he ate was worth about $2, but he was fined $50, got a mugshot taken, and was banned from the park for the year. Freaking hilarious!
Current coaster count: 72
Top flats: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, New England Sky Screamer, Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission BREAKOUT
Top 10 coasters: Superman TR, Wicked Cyclone, Nitro, El Toro, Top Thrill Dragster, Tatsu, Millennium Force, X2, Revenge of the Mummy (USH), Boulder Dash
:airtime:

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby PixelRush » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:58 pm

I got zero flips on Joker. Kinda disappointing but I'll give it a try my next visits.
And yes the Mind Eraser trains have kept me from demanding its removal. I rode it hands up with no problems! Apart from the wacky transitions and lateral shifts, I enjoy it! Just make it Harley Quinn and you have a full package :P
I have the rumblies, the rumblies that only AIRTIME can satisfy. :airtimer:
Top Steel: Maverick [Cedar Point] Top Wood: El Toro [Six Flags Great Adventure] Coaster Count: 74
My username is Zergei on the NLE Forum (to be NLC someday...)
Proud member of the Cult of Skank Mountain, where the airtime is to die for.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby BoulderDash » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:07 pm

Sounds like all of the S&S Free Spins around the world are closed. The SF app lists all of them closed and I heard Arashi is closed as well. Must be a recall from S&S, probably will be down for a while.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!