TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gröna Lund Discussion Thread

I'm suspecting that we may see a future relocation of either the 2nd gen drop tower or the S&S tower or maybe even both.

Skara is in need of a new major attraction, and Parks and Resorts have communicated that they will need to make a major investment there soon. Also Kolmården will probably need more rides to entertain all the new visitors that Wildfire will bring in, but it's hard to see them get a permission for a tower ride within the next few years. Maybe even Furuvik could be considered.

Is there any park that have relocated a 2nd gen Intamin drop tower?

Yes, Superman: Tower of Power at Six Flags St. Louis was relocated from Six Flags AstroWorld after the park closed in 2005. It seems to be the only Intamin Drop Tower that I'm aware of that has been relocated. It'll be neat to see what happens to either the S&S power tower or the Intamin drop tower.

I'm suspecting that we may see a future relocation of either the 2nd gen drop tower or the S&S tower or maybe even both.

Skara is in need of a new major attraction, and Parks and Resorts have communicated that they will need to make a major investment there soon. Also Kolmården will probably need more rides to entertain all the new visitors that Wildfire will bring in, but it's hard to see them get a permission for a tower ride within the next few years. Maybe even Furuvik could be considered.

Not that it should matter that much, but isn't the actual tower of Fritt Fall really old? As far as I remember it's a converted observation tower that opened in 1966.

And a bit unrelated, Parks & Resorts stated that Furuvik will be getting a new ride for 2017 as early as April. They will reveal what it is during this summer.

Yes, Superman: Tower of Power at Six Flags St. Louis was relocated from Six Flags AstroWorld after the park closed in 2005. It seems to be the only Intamin Drop Tower that I'm aware of that has been relocated. It'll be neat to see what happens to either the S&S power tower or the Intamin drop tower.

Pitt Fall @ Kennywood? Don't know if it has been rebuilt elsewhere or not, this is the only information available on wikipedia.

In June 2011, it was put for sale and was bought in early September to an undisclosed buyer.

But yes, I would not be surprised if this were to be followed by the removal of one of the other towers (obviously not the StarFlyer).

I managed to stumble upon this article by SVT (Swedish public broadcasting company)

It's in Swedish, but what it says is basically that Gröna Lund has applied with a new plan to develop the parking lot and that it will be discussed in the city planning board of Stockholm now.

The plan is to have 2-3 stories tall buildings in classical style around the perimeter with a parking garage underground. Inside of the buildings there will be rides etc. The process of planning everything, including letting everyone have an opinion on the plans is supposed to take about two years. Gröna Lund hopes that the new area will open at around 2020-2021.

I managed to stumble upon this article by SVT (Swedish public broadcasting company)

It's in Swedish, but what it says is basically that Gröna Lund has applied with a new plan to develop the parking lot and that it will be discussed in the city planning board of Stockholm now.

The plan is to have 2-3 stories tall buildings in classical style around the perimeter with a parking garage underground. Inside of the buildings there will be rides etc. The process of planning everything, including letting everyone have an opinion on the plans is supposed to take about two years. Gröna Lund hopes that the new area will open at around 2020-2021.

That is ridiculously great news!!

Hopefully, Robb will be able to share news about this when he returns from Europe. Mattias and Johan have always been great at utilizing Robb and TPR to promote their plans.

• 2 months later...

This is kind of a short notice but I'll be at Gröna Lund tomorrow and at Kolmården on Sunday. I'm traveling solo so if anyone wants to meet up, I'm all up for it!

Any tips are welcome as well, especially about where to eat, as it tends to be a bit of a gamble when eating in a foreign park.

This is kind of a short notice but I'll be at Gröna Lund tomorrow and at Kolmården on Sunday. I'm traveling solo so if anyone wants to meet up, I'm all up for it!

Any tips are welcome as well, especially about where to eat, as it tends to be a bit of a gamble when eating in a foreign park.

Aw fellow Finn! I would be there literally the weekened after!

• 1 month later...

^ That looks amazing. The width there, between the buildings, is totally nuts.

Hand it to Grona Lund. They are the Blackpool of Sweden, in my mind.

And that's a very good thought.

• 2 months later...

Ikaros have lost it's building permit, in a very similar manner as Wildfire. It seems to really be raining crap on Parks and Resorts at the moment.

I do not take this to serious though. The Land and Environment court rejected the previous permit due to them finding the noise studies to not be satisfactory. Gröna Lund have now appealed it to the Land and Environment high court (last level).

I do believe they will get the permit very soon, there is no way that Ikaros can make more sound than any attraction they already have, which seems to be what is claimed in the appeal. The court however reject the neighbors will to stop the attraction, they just need a more detailed noise study.

This should be more of a quick fix as compared to the mess going on with Wildfire.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great news in Sweden today. Gröna Lund has filed plans to build a 700meter long inverted B&M for the season 2020.

The coaster is said to be inspired by Dragon challenge at Universal Orlando.

It will be built near the water, close to where the bumper cars are. It will go all the way over to Jetline. Construction will behov in 2018.

Other news: in 2019, there will be a temporary ride, just for that season. No more clues, but the Mirror hall (or what to call it, Skrattkammaren in Swedish) and some games will go away, st least for a while.

Construction of Ikaros is continuing forward, even though the building permit is still not 100% approved.

I will see if the news comes online today and post later.

See you in Stockholm!

Edit: Full story (in Swedish) here: http://www.dn.se/arkiv/stockholm/gronans-nya-akattraktion-en-hisnande-upplevelse/

Facts according to the article: 111,5 feet high (34 meters), 2297 feet long (700 meters), ride time 2 minutes, top speed 62 mph (100 km/h)

IMG_5228.thumb.JPG.c271eb449ade9d62a51ad6c023e5fdab.JPG

WOW!!!

That looks like a great ride! I like the layout, and the interactions with the surrounding buildings should provide an awesome experience! Let's hope it becomes a reality!

For those who are not familiar with Gröna Lund I added a picture of the area as it currently looks. And some people claim that certain parks don't have space to build new coasters....

1171292214_GrnaLund.thumb.jpg.18943a22c4ced0b91a472caaf063b364.jpg

Looks like it'll feature an underground station, so I guess we'll see a lot of digging in 2018 which might be why they'll somehow hide the construction area with this temporary attraction in 2019.

So now with this B&M inverter they have relocated the tall and noisy attractions from the old expansion plans to fit within the existing park where the zoning plan already allow for such attractions.

As for the new expansion plans it's schedule that the public consultation will take part in the first quarter of 2017. I wonder what kind of park this new area will be, perhaps it'll be the new calmer Tyrolen area? Also with the expansion there'll be new office space, workshops and staff rooms so I wonder what'll happen to the current building where such facilities are located today. I also think it's nice that they'll continue to improve on the boardwalk and expand it further up along the seaside of the park with this new B&M coaster. That's what I liked most about the Twister, I don't see it ruined the old atmosphere but it added something else, a classic boardwalk area.

I'm sure it'll be cool, but I feel like you can only put so many track-based attractions above guests' heads before the park as a whole becomes overwhelming.

Also, is that another Junior Immelmann?