TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

That does sound like a very low capacity system if they are dispatching every 40 seconds. I believe the turntables are not the reason why the capacity is low, Disney rides are designed to eat the lines and they will buy those Chiapas turntables from Intamin if they need it. As someone stated before, they did not do soft opening and it sounds like CM needs more training. Just give it a few weeks until the crew is ready.

Just rode Frozen today.

Some observations regarding capacity:

The boats have 4 rows. The MOST people I saw per row was three adults. I suppose you could have 2 adults and 2 children, but that is rare.

The boat I rode in had only 6 people in it. 2 in the 1st 2 rows and 1 in the last 2 rows. This is a BIG reason why the lines are so long. The cast members need to fill every single boat as full as possible. They just loaded people and never bothered to ask for groups of 2 or single riders. If they really want to increase capacity, they need to fill the boats.

Single rider line. It works for Test Track and Radiator Springs Racers. It could work for Frozen too.

You're the first person I've seen report that and in every picture and video I've seen of the ride the boats were all full. So I think your situation may not be the norm.

I have sat four to a row all the time on Maelstrom so I can't imagine that wouldn't be the same for Frozen.

Early morning hours? Staying off properity this go around.....but:

- showed up at 8am for a 9am opening for the GP

- walked up with the crowd to see what I can find out about (possibly) talking my way in for the early opening for WDW hotel guests

- I was asked, "which hotel are you staying?" and replied "Swan"

- with that, I got a "thank you" and was allowed into the park?

Is that common? Isn't there some sort of verification process?

- walked up with the crowd to see what I can find out about (possibly) talking my way in for the early opening for WDW hotel guests

Wow, really??? You did this??? What an asshole. The verification process is that they are actually putting some trust in people not to crash the morning EMH sessions. It's people like you that will make it so they have to put more rules and restrictions into place at the parks.

Oh, and you're banned from our forum.

^That really is a dick move. You would think that would be programmed into the magic band data, but still...wow. Dick move.

Just rode Frozen today.

The boats have 4 rows. The MOST people I saw per row was three adults. I suppose you could have 2 adults and 2 children, but that is rare.

The boat I rode in had only 6 people in it. 2 in the 1st 2 rows and 1 in the last 2 rows. This is a BIG reason why the lines are so long. The cast members need to fill every single boat as full as possible. They just loaded people and never bothered to ask for groups of 2 or single riders. If they really want to increase capacity, they need to fill the boats.

Single rider line. It works for Test Track and Radiator Springs Racers. It could work for Frozen too.

I don't think I've ever seen a ride be "firing on all cylinders" so early into its life. Hard to judge anything about an operation with such a small sample size where things ALWAYS improve. Like Robb said, the videos and photos I saw had full boats too, so it sounds like the normal ebbs and flows of opening a new attraction to me...

^That really is a dick move. You would think that would be programmed into the magic band data, but still...wow. Dick move.

You normally do have to scan your magic band to get into a morning EMH. It could very well have been that the system was down and they were having to go off the "honor system" that morning. It doesn't happen very often, but I've seen it before.

Either way, yep, that's a total dick move and this person took advantage of the system. Not someone we want on our forums or representing us at parks.

Just rode Frozen today.

You're the first person I've seen report that and in every picture and video I've seen of the ride the boats were all full. So I think your situation may not be the norm.

I have sat four to a row all the time on Maelstrom so I can't imagine that wouldn't be the same for Frozen.

My ride its first week was similar to John's- they gave me an entire row to myself!

Howeve this morning my sister says they are grouping like crazy- her standby wait at 11 AM was just 20 minutes (posted 60)! Maybe they had to get the employees back up to speed . Regardless, sounds like it's all good now!

Just rode Frozen today.

My ride its first week was similar to John's- they gave me an entire row to myself!

Howeve this morning my sister says they are grouping like crazy- her standby wait at 11 AM was just 20 minutes (posted 60)! Maybe they had to get the employees back up to speed . Regardless, sounds like it's all good now!

That's great to hear. I mean, anyone who has worked around a theme park knows there are growing pains when getting a new ride open. I don't understand people who rush out to ride something new and then bitch and moan about issues early on in a ride's life when they should know better. As an example, this is a the reason why we chose to head out to Shanghai Disney in December instead of going for opening. Let them work out all the kinks and other issues that you know they are going to have, and I'd rather go when I'll have a better experience thanks to them having time to figure out their operations.

In short, when a ride opens, give them a break, complaining early on only makes you look like an ignorant theme park fan.

/my two cents.

Edited by robbalvey

A few days ago, we were invited out to attend a preview event for the 2016 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival. This is the 21st year for the Festival and Disney is making this year’s event bigger and better than ever. The 62 day long Festival starts on September 14 (That’s less than 80 days away if you’re counting!) and will run through November 14. To keep things fresh, about 47% of this year’s menu items are new or reimagined. New marketplaces include Chocolate Studio, Wine & Dine Studio, Hops and Barley, The Chew Collective, Islands of the Caribbean, and one more to be announced.

New this year are special experiences that go beyond the borders of Epcot. Disney Resort experiences will take place at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, the Yachtsman Steakhouse at Disney’s Yacht Club Resort, and at Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort. And for the first time, the festival will feature a special “Taste of Disney Springs” themed Party of the Senses on October 8. The daytime television show “The Chew” will also be returning to film a week’s worth of episodes. Event bookings open to the general public on July 21.

Now that we got all of the details out of the way, let’s take a look at some of the food.

IMG_2858.thumb.jpg.015de8c3fe1964603289cd31c288430e.jpg

We're back at Epcot - and even though its the middle of summer, one of our favorite times of the year is just around the corner.

IMG_2874.thumb.jpg.e19e53ce4dcf473ea3349e0f21dba467.jpg

The 21st Epcot International Food & Wine Festival - September 14 - November 14, 2016.

IMG_2894.thumb.jpg.503540eee771505b560b7b84fd48e33d.jpg

Korean-style BBQ Beef with Steamed Rice & Cucumber Kimchi - one of my favorite dishes.

IMG_2881.thumb.jpg.32552ea055343ee579165124e6dc14fc.jpg

PJ serves up some of the Korean BBQ.

IMG_2872.thumb.jpg.73e9fe00a3d07ea35ad19761c5c030fc.jpg

Grilled Beef Skewer with Romaine, Apricots & Feta Cheese - new this year at The Chew Collective marketplace.

IMG_2882.thumb.jpg.e5cd3991ee9a045513d9d8fc471f9c7d.jpg

Now that's a lobster roll! A New England Lobster Roll from the new Hops & Barley marketplace.

IMG_2892.thumb.jpg.8222b3777d2ee1581aa8e07670ace816.jpg

Hazel serves up the Pork Tenderloin with Cannellini Bean Ragout & Zinfandel Reduction at the new Wine & Dine Studio marketplace.

IMG_2880.thumb.jpg.05174aa32193e541f125e5e0f5d1299c.jpg

Bimini Twist IPA from St. Pete brewer, 3 Daughters Brewing was delicious.

IMG_2869.thumb.jpg.b2acb48e55f749606296f8fa7ce013cc.jpg

How about some dessert? This is the Liquid Nitro Chocolate-Almond Truffle with Warm Whiskey-Caramel Sauce from the new Chocolate Studio Marketplace.

IMG_2876.thumb.jpg.e1eb87551eb758cec745aff93c49a8ad.jpg

And here is that truffle - fresh out of the liquid nitro.

IMG_2887.thumb.jpg.71deabe96f0c7c11e38c831684b7313b.jpg

Another delicious item from The Chew Collective marketplace - Peanut Butter and White Chocolate Mousse with a Caramel Drizzle.

IMG_2891.thumb.jpg.8cc02c93987a4c66a0a97dd9cf443d9e.jpg

This is the Peanut Butter & White Chocolate Mousse with the Greek Yogurt Vanilla Cake Soaked in Ouzo with Yogurt Whipped Cream and Pistachios - a brand new item from the Greece Marketplace.

IMG_2870.thumb.jpg.821305b485b7cf18f54bf55607d03901.jpg

But my favorite dessert was the Quesito from the new Islands of the Caribbean marketplace. The Quesito is Puff Pastry with Sweetened Cream Cheese and Guava Sauce. It was fantastic!

IMG_2865.thumb.jpg.fe1fdf9dd4fab45b783dcda77797e62e.jpg

Thank you to Epcot for hosting us today. The Food and Wine Festival is one of our favorite events every year and we can't wait to get out there again this year. The Festival starts September 14, so mark your calendar and come hungry.

^ Great for all the food offerings this year! Toooo many to chews from (ha).

And BTW - Looking GREAT there, Jack! Good to see you in the TR, too!

(I got your Maelstrom print - it's just beautiful, truth!)

Wow, really??? You did this??? What an a$$hole. The verification process is that they are actually putting some trust in people not to crash the morning EMH sessions. It's people like you that will make it so they have to put more rules and restrictions into place at the parks.

This happens WAYYYY more than youd think. Having used to be a CM at the gates we experienced this quite often, and would usually just let the party inside instead or creating a scene and arguing. Never really saw it as a big deal.

^Yeah, in the park for the extra magic hours after park had closed it happened a lot as well. Back when you had to show a room key there were a lot of people who would show keys to off property hotels and the "Disney Good Neighbor Hotels" or whatever they're called now. If it was just a few minutes after the regular park hours ended and there wasn't a line at the attraction seems like we usually did the same thing to avoid creating a scene and holding up other guest from getting in line but if the same party tried repeatedly we had to turn them away.

Just from casually checking the posted wait from time to time it seems like the Frozen Ever After has been fairly manageable, usually posted under 2 hours at least with people reporting the actual wait is generally around/under an hour or so. As insanely popular as Frozen is Epcot is still a park that I think a lot of "families" avoid for whatever reason. I can't tell you how many people I talk to that skip it altogether on their family vacations or plan to attend but instead use that day for an extra day at magic Kingdom or whatever. Maybe the Frozen ride will change that, or maybe that dynamic remains and the demand for that attraction level offs over time.

Edited by Hilltopper39

Wow, really??? You did this??? What an a$$hole. The verification process is that they are actually putting some trust in people not to crash the morning EMH sessions. It's people like you that will make it so they have to put more rules and restrictions into place at the parks.

This happens WAYYYY more than youd think. Having used to be a CM at the gates we experienced this quite often, and would usually just let the party inside instead or creating a scene and arguing. Never really saw it as a big deal.

Back when you had to show a room key there were a lot of people who would show keys to off property hotels and the "Disney Good Neighbor Hotels" or whatever they're called now. If it was just a few minutes after the regular park hours ended and there wasn't a line at the attraction seems like we usually did the same thing to avoid creating a scene and holding up other guest from getting in line but if the same party tried repeatedly we had to turn them away. there wasn't a line at the attraction seems like we usually did the same thing to avoid creating a scene and holding up other guest from getting in line but if the same party tried repeatedly we had to turn them away.

Seems a bit unfair on the people who have probably spent years saving for that once in a lifetime trip in a Disney hotel including the perks of early entry especially by rewarding people who are intentionally breaking the rules.

My wife and I always talk about doing Florida but we don't think we could afford Disney hotels for our family and that puts us off a little since we feel with the only 2 weeks we get off being the busiest in the calendar year, so on top of huge queues, prices will be highest for hotels and airplane etc... fastpass+ and early reservation (for example be our guest) is something we would definitely need. If we ever do reach that point where we could do a Disney hotel for those perks and i'm talking 10 years of putting every little bit away it'd be really, really disheartening to see anyone walking in after all that saving "to avoid a scene."

I mean, I know there will always be people who break the rules intentionally and be horrible if you call them out on it (look at my last Everland TR) but it seems a big difference between people cutting in line and smoking anywhere compared to going into what is essentially almost a private event. You wouldn't be allowed in the fast pass line without a ticket and I doubt a group would be allowed on if they used the single rider line even if you caused a scene in public so I'm not sure why this is different.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn it into such a lengthy rant.

Edited by Garet

there wasn't a line at the attraction seems like we usually did the same thing to avoid creating a scene and holding up other guest from getting in line but if the same party tried repeatedly we had to turn them away.

Seems a bit unfair on the people who have probably spent years saving for that once in a lifetime trip in a Disney hotel including the perks of early entry especially by rewarding people who are intentionally breaking the rules.

My wife and I always talk about doing Florida but we don't think we could afford Disney hotels for our family and that puts us off a little since we feel with the only 2 weeks we get off being the busiest in the calendar year, so on top of huge queues, prices will be highest for hotels and airplane etc... fastpass+ and early reservation (for example be our guest) is something we would definitely need. If we ever do reach that point where we could do a Disney hotel for those perks and i'm talking 10 years of putting every little bit away it'd be really, really disheartening to see anyone walking in after all that saving "to avoid a scene."

I mean, I know there will always be people who break the rules intentionally and be horrible if you call them out on it (look at my last Everland TR) but it seems a big difference between people cutting in line and smoking anywhere compared to going into what is essentially almost a private event. You wouldn't be allowed in the fast pass line without a ticket and I doubt a group would be allowed on if they used the single rider line even if you caused a scene in public so I'm not sure why this is different.

Don't let not being able to afford a Disney property be the reason to keep you away from the parks. You can find VERY reasonable hotels in the Orlando and if you have a larger family I suggest VRBO or Air BNB in Orlando. You can also save money skipping the meals plans, the food is very meh and the cattle herding style of some of the restaurants is off-putting. Airfare will be your biggest expense!

there wasn't a line at the attraction seems like we usually did the same thing to avoid creating a scene and holding up other guest from getting in line but if the same party tried repeatedly we had to turn them away.

I'm not saying it was "right" but again if the park closed at 6pm and someone tried to get in line at 6:02 when the ride was a walk on It wasn't that big of a deal to let them in line for one more ride then turn them away after that. And at that time more often than not people were honestly unaware of the EMH more so than intentionally trying to break the rules. It wasn't like hundreds of people trying to intentionally break the rules, it was like a family trying to get in line before the que closed that missed it by a few minutes, that's the situation where it was easier to "avoid a scene", everyone gets one more ride since there wasn't a line to begin with, everyone has a good day.

^ Sorry my post was more aimed at the letting people in for early entry and people you talked about who would intentionally show keys they know don't entitle them to rides than people who've just missed the cut off. Accidentally cut the wrong bit out of the quote will change it now.

^^ Good to know, our son is 50 days old so we have plenty of time to start saving. HKDL will probably be his first since it's my wife's favorite for families. We both love TDS but we'll wait until he's a bit older for that. HKDL always seems to be the easiest for us when we've visited, outside of Autopia and the parachutes we've never had to wait more than 15 mins for a ride or to meet and greet a character so we think it'd be ideal for a young toddler in a few years.

Don't let not being able to afford a Disney property be the reason to keep you away from the parks. You can find VERY reasonable hotels in the Orlando and if you have a larger family I suggest VRBO or Air BNB in Orlando. You can also save money skipping the meals plans, the food is very meh and the cattle herding style of some of the restaurants is off-putting. Airfare will be your biggest expense!

I was gonna suggest the Hilton in Disney Springs -- it's where we stay when we go.

tho not "Disney Branded" it IS considered a Disney Hotel, and you get all the perks of it: Disney Store in the lobby, purchases made in the park shipped to your hotel for you, extra magic hours, character breakfast, etc. . (in addition to the free shuttle to/from the parks).

and the cost really is much less than a Disney Branded hotel, although it's up there for a typical Hilton.

still reasonable tho