TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

I guess Universal thinks it's easier to kill someone else's project than to improve City Walk to compete (for example, as WDW is doing with Disney Springs)? There's also the question of what Universal has in mind for what used to be Wet 'n' Wild.

With that whole picture, I just don't see the County turning it down.

Neither do I, but Universal is a heavy hitter. I'd love to see some improvements on I-Drive.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it works out. The old phrase is a "rising tide raises all ships" seems to apply. Orlando have more bars/nightclubs/high end shopping & dining will only benefit everyone as it helps attract more convention business.

Skyplex just sent us a new "vision" video for the combo tower and it looks NUTS!!! Vertical LIM lift?!?!!? WTF!!!! AMAZING!!!

They said they will have another video next week with even more details specific to Skyplex!

Remember! To help this project out, click this link and submit an email! http://www.pixelsattheparks.com/skyplex/

Edited by robbalvey

I really hope this happens. I love Universal, but I don't agree with their decision to fight this. I-Drive has so much potential and the growth I see happening is so promising. The north part of I-Drive is so cheap looking and something iconic like that could do so much more for the area. As far as Universal hating, I only see Skyplex adding to their visitor numbers. That one attraction will make for more visitors in Orlando, thus more possible visitors to Universal. I'll be truly upset if they let this fall through the cracks.

I hope it works out. The old phrase is a "rising tide raises all ships" seems to apply. Orlando have more bars/nightclubs/high end shopping & dining will only benefit everyone as it helps attract more convention business.

Agreed. I really don't see how the Skyplex could hurt Universal too much. I can't see many people traveling to Florida for only one coaster... The only people who would travel to Orlando just for Skyplex would probably be enthusiasts, or people who wouldn't have time to visit universal (or any other big park).

Edited by canadianparkfan

Is this a render of the Orlando version, or of the general combo tower concept? Because it's way smaller that what he had, and we've lost half of the figures due to the slimmer design of the tower (zero-g rolls, outside banked top hat, external banked dive loops, etc.).

Is this a render of the Orlando version, or of the general combo tower concept? Because it's way smaller that what he had, and we've lost half of the figures due to the slimmer design of the tower (zero-g rolls, outside banked top hat, external banked dive loops, etc.).

It's a generalized version of the Polercoaster complex that US Thrill Rides was showing off at IAAPA. Skyplex's version will be much taller.

Skyplex just sent us a new "vision" video for the combo tower and it looks NUTS!!! Vertical LIM lift?!?!!? WTF!!!! AMAZING!!!

They said they will have another video next week with even more details specific to Skyplex!

^Apparently a company called "US Thrill Rides" right in Orlando designed the coaster. I hope that the project ultimately gets the green light. The coaster looks amazing and will give me a reason to get back to the area.

US Thrill Rides designed the tower. Ride Centerline (same people who design Rocky Mountain and many S&S Coasters) designed the coaster, and Intamin is building the coaster and the drop tower.

Just wanted to set that record straight.

^Apparently a company called "US Thrill Rides" right in Orlando designed the coaster. I hope that the project ultimately gets the green light. The coaster looks amazing and will give me a reason to get back to the area.

US Thrill Rides designed the tower. Ride Centerline (same people who design Rocky Mountain and many S&S Coasters) designed the coaster, and Intamin is building the coaster and the drop tower.

Just wanted to set that record straight.

Thanks for the clarification, Robb. There certainly are some great companies involved in this project.

Geez, Universal is being a real $!#/&

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-universal-skyplex-mailers-20151119-story.html

This is really turning me off to them. Sounds like they are out pounding on doors and saying whatever to get what amounts to just a handful of folks to be concerned citizens. It's truly pathetic. Makes you wonder how much money they may be passing under the table to secure the "right" opposition to this, kinda like the obvious pay off already reported on.