USA 2016 - Robb & Elissa Traveling Around Riding Stuff

P.16 - NYC! Scott's Pizza Tour! Matilda! Statue of Liberty!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Love Donkeys!

Re: USA 2016 - Robb & Elissa Traveling Around Riding Stuff

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:50 pm

robbalvey wrote:How did our personal trip report turn into a discussion about lobster rolls??? We don't even like lobster rolls!!!

Mea Culpa. Back on track with divine meatballs, super Scott's pizza and peanut butter and jelly crepes. (But not all at one meal). :lmao:

Alice

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:53 pm

These might be stupid questions, but I am most curious about Scott's tours. I checked the website but was just wondering a few things...

When you go on the tour, I assume that it is approximately in the 10-15 person range so that you hopefully don't overflow the restaurants (kinda like brewery tours). It looks like you eat one slice of pizza at each place. Do you get to choose beforehand what types of toppings people want, or do they offer a couple different varieties of their best pizzas and you simply sample one slice from whichever you choose and can opt for the "bonus slice"? It looks like the latter, but I was just curious how that worked.

I also noticed that in a few photos, there were pizza photos taken outdoors. Is that extra that you guys bought, or did you choose to eat or take photos outdoors because the store was so busy?

Also, do most serve beer? I know this is being particular and I could certainly go without if they didn't...but pizza and beer for me is probably the best combo meal on the planet! If most do, then I would probably want to do the bus tour as opposed to walking! :lol:

PS - LOVE the Pac Man pizza!!!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:12 pm

I will try to answer the best I can but keep in mind when we do Scott's tour as a group, we usually do a private tour so it's a little different from his normal tour, BUT, we have done his normal tour as well, so....

Philrad71 wrote:When you go on the tour, I assume that it is approximately in the 10-15 person range so that you hopefully don't overflow the restaurants (kinda like brewery tours).

This is correct. I think he *might* do 20 at the most, but I'm not sure his exact numbers.

It looks like you eat one slice of pizza at each place. Do you get to choose beforehand what types of toppings people want, or do they offer a couple different varieties of their best pizzas and you simply sample one slice from whichever you choose and can opt for the "bonus slice"? It looks like the latter, but I was just curious how that worked.

The idea of the pizza tour is to compare slices between each place to you stop. So you get 1 slice of cheese pizza to keep everything consistent at each pizzeria. *sometimes* depending on the nature of the tour and where you go, there might be something different that mixes it up (each tour seems to have a personality of it's own), but for the most part, sticking to the basics of the tour, it's one cheese slice per location visited.

I also noticed that in a few photos, there were pizza photos taken outdoors. Is that extra that you guys bought, or did you choose to eat or take photos outdoors because the store was so busy?

Some of the "slice shops" don't actually have indoor seating, or not enough to accommodate the tour group, so you go at it picnic style! It always has worked just fine like this.

Also, do most serve beer? I know this is being particular and I could certainly go without if they didn't...but pizza and beer for me is probably the best combo meal on the planet! If most do, then I would probably want to do the bus tour as opposed to walking!

You're not really at a place long enough to probably enjoy a beer and again the nature of the tour isn't really about drinking. I'm sure if you have some extra time at one of the places you could probably order a beer on the side, but I don't think in any of the tours I've been on I've seen someone do this.

Hope that helps!

Postby coasterbill » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:22 am

Lombardi's pizza is incredible. Whenever we're in the city we endure long subway rides from midtown just to go eat it.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Blue Turbo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:18 am

I had a really great time with everyone in NYC. Scott's tour was a lot of fun and had lots of great pizza! Also, Obica was amazing, the burrata was so good. I will definitely be going there again the next time I'm in new york.

Annoying, impatient and needs to be kicked by a donkey.

Postby I305forever » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:04 am

Glad to see you went to John's. I love that place. Next time you're in NYC, I recommend going to the Whitney. It's really cool and right across the street there is an awesome restaurant, Bubby's.
Still confused about why vekomas headquarters hasn't been burnt down by an angry mob of enthusiasts

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby lord denning » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:31 pm

You guys still there. We were there earlier in the week as well.

If so check out the Ghostbusters/Void attraction at Madame Tussands. The most impressive VR experience I have seen to date. I could see it as E Ticket in Universal. Shockingly well done. I would love to hear your thoughts on it. Still can't get over how well everything worked. First time I haven't felt ripped off during a tourist attraction in Times Square.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/29/12060066/ghostbusters-dimension-the-void-times-square-madame-tussauds-vr
Using Tapatalk

Postby Philrad71 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:33 pm

^^^^Thanks Robb...that was a big help! =)

Yep, definitely will sign up for one of these the next time we venture downstate!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:03 pm

lord denning wrote:You guys still there. We were there earlier in the week as well.

If so check out the Ghostbusters/Void attraction at Madame Tussands. The most impressive VR experience I have seen to date. I could see it as E Ticket in Universal. Shockingly well done. I would love to hear your thoughts on it. Still can't get over how well everything worked. First time I haven't felt ripped off during a tourist attraction in Times Square.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/29/12060066/ghostbusters-dimension-the-void-times-square-madame-tussauds-vr

It was broken the day we were going to check it out. Hopefully once the bugs are all worked out we'll try it (or see more popping up in other places)!

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Satans Hockey » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:12 pm

Just an fyi for anyone visiting the met or the museum of natural history, it's only a suggested donation to enter them. There are some other museums like this as well. Sometimes the people at the registers will give you an attitude about it but you can give a dollar if you want.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!