Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 599: Duck Boat Accident Discussion
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:34 pm

Believe it or not, the drop is only 65°. Certainly feels a lot steeper than that. It has mad airtime on that drop in the back.

Postby Philrad71 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:47 pm

^ Totally agree, Andrew.

To be honest, the first drop reminded me a little of Magnum's...

Great lift hill view, a nice whip over the hill in the back and just good fun after that.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:27 pm

Seeing the surrounding area really increases the sensation of height. Wildfire is seriously of my favorite B&M loopers (#1 is still Raptor).

I'd probably rank my top 3 something like this
1. Raptor
2. Wildfire
3. Thunderbird
1. Millennium Force | 2. New Texas Giant | 3. Outlaw Run | 4. Maverick | 5. Iron Rattler | 6. The Voyage | 7. Goliath (SFGAm) | 8. Time Traveler | 9. Raging Bull | 10. Diamondback

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:^ You didn't dislike it, and that's the point. I'm sure you would agree it's the best floorless that has a floor.

It's also the worst floorless with a floor. :lol:

Honestly, I wish that B&M would make another sit-down coaster with those open trains. They look so nice!
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby sdcfan88 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:17 pm

It's been quite an interesting year at SDC! On top of them getting a $26 million dollar Mack Coaster they also got a new steam train engine brought into service! This is exciting news for all you theme park train enthusiasts! :)

Say hello to Engine 504:

Trip report video from a former employee of the park:
Photo Album: https://www.facebook.com/pg/TheSirWillow/photos/?tab=album&album_id=933831653463736

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby verruckt1 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:33 pm

I just got back from a vacation in Branson and had a 3 day pass to Silver Dollar City. I was at the park June 25th - 27th and the first day was a full day and last two were half days. This was my 3rd time to the park and it has been 5 years since I went last. I'm probably going to write a lot so I subdivided it.

Time Traveler
An amazing ride with great scenery. I got to ride this 4 times. At first I thought each seat was about the same because of the length of the trains and the fact that the cars spin but then I got a ride in row 8 (the back) and was surprised. When you leave the station you will get ejector airtime into the 90 degree drop while going backwards and really makes for the best element in the ride. The two launches aren't the most forces but are better than a chain lift. I liked the scenery but I thought there could be some saws or scrap wood in the que since you're in a wood shop, though this may have made it a bit less steampunk. I was only in line 5 times for this ride and I still can't get the music or the ticking sound out of my head. I can't decide though if this is better than Powder Keg or not.

Maintenance problems
I had a huge problem with maintenance when I was visiting Silver Dollar City. I was told by one of the workers that there was a lightning storm the day before I came and that was part of the problem. The first day I was there I showed up at Time Traveler about 15 minutes after opening to find that the ride had broken down the second I got there. I went ahead and waited for the 2 hours the ride was broken down because I figured the line is usually longer anyways. When the ride opened I got on the 2nd or 3rd train and was on my way. I got back in line quickly after, then waited another 45 minutes and got 2 trains away in line but then the ride broke down again. This time I was a little mad. I rode some other rides and made my way to outlaw run to find that it was closed and wouldn't open for the rest of the day. I went back to Time Traveler later and had it close again. Time Traveler opened up later but with 1 train. That was the first day. The second day started off better, Time Traveler was still running one train but was open. I didn't have a problem until I went to Powder Keg where they had 1 train running. I got about half way thru the line before they added a second train. This was fine and dandy but they did 1 test run with 2 trains then took the train back off and retested the original train. I left and came back later to Powder Keg and it was closed. Outlaw Run was open all day that day. And the third day I had no problems. There were 2 trains back on Time Traveler and it wasn't breaking down. There were 2 trains on Powder Keg. Outlaw Run was open with 1 train but no line.

White Water
The water park was alright. It was small... that's my only complaint. I was at White Water for an hour and was able to do most of the rides. Part of my group was there for half a day and did everything twice or for some rides three times. The lines for the water slides were nice and short except for a few. They did let me bring in my Silver Dollar City cup. The location is right next to the strip which is a bonus but they're landlocked and didn't have much room from the start.

Pros
Silver Dollar City overall is a nice park. They have something for everybody here. The scenery is amazing, I loved how the park map was a newspaper. All of the workers are nice and I created a friendship with a few of them. The location is really nice and is great for setting the mood. There are great coasters at this park. Operations seemed fast. Overall very professional.

Cons
IDK if I went on a busy day but the paths were packed but ride times were short. There is a lack of flat rides here, I didn't notice this the first day but I started to the second day and started to get bored the third day. The coasters are great but then there's shows and little kid rides left. I'm not the biggest fan of shows and I'm not going to ride the kiddy rides so there's not much left for a coaster enthusiast. The park has some hills (mainly hill street) which I didn't mind but some people in my group did. The app was awful. It's bad at telling you if a rides open or broke down, it's also awful at telling real ride times, but if you're using it for a map it's great. I thought Wildfire wasn't that great, especially with all the other coasters in the park. I wouldn't mind seeing it turned into a new section of the park with some flat rides. I know I wrote a lot more Cons then Pros but believe me this is a great park and you should definitely visit it if in the area.

Postby Vonni » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:07 pm

For those who have ridden both, how do the launches on Time Traveler compare to the launch on Powder Keg?

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:49 am

Powder Leg's launch is quite intense and feels almost instantaneous. Time Traveler's launches are more gradual but when you hit the end of each launch you get a really cool sensation of speed going whatever direction the ride feels like throwing you.
1. Millennium Force | 2. New Texas Giant | 3. Outlaw Run | 4. Maverick | 5. Iron Rattler | 6. The Voyage | 7. Goliath (SFGAm) | 8. Time Traveler | 9. Raging Bull | 10. Diamondback

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:38 pm

LiftThrill wrote:Powder Leg's launch is quite intense and feels almost instantaneous. Time Traveler's launches are more gradual but when you hit the end of each launch you get a really cool sensation of speed going whatever direction the ride feels like throwing you.

Yep, agreed.

As for White Water, yeah it's not a great waterpark. It was good when I was a kid but most of the parks these days offer a lot more. We took our kids for the first time last summer and they were asking to go back to Hurricane Harbor St. Louis instead.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Shavethewhales » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:32 pm

I'm sorry you have so much trouble with break-downs verruckt1. It seems like it has been awful this year. Word on the street is that the park has been having some serious staffing issues, which has been a problem off and on for years. A lot of the older staff that knew how to actually get stuff done and keep the place running smoothly have moved on - and speaking broadly, a lot of the newer people are just there to get by and don't stick around long enough to really fill their shoes. The park has been dealing with a lot of shifting demographics in that regard.

Like you said, the park doesn't have many flat rides, but if you went back about ten years or so ago there were hardly any. They didn't really start focusing on rides till Wildfire was installed, and most of the park's flats were added in massive waves in 2006 (Grand Exposition) and 2015 (Fireman's Landing). Before the 2000's the main draws of the park still revolved around music, crafts, and other soft stuff. It is still in the process of transforming into more of a "normal" amusement park, and unfortunately the ride headaches are the growing pains of that transition.

It doesn't help that they like to choose ground-breaking, but finicky rides. Buzzsaw Falls was a prototype that didn't last, Powderkeg replaced it but was also kind of a prototype that has plenty of it's own problems, Outlaw Run was a prototype and isn't aging well, Time Traveler is of course basically a prototype with a lot of world's firsts... I'm sure I'm missing some. Even Lost River was a prototype I think - wasn't it the first Intamin River Rapids?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!