Darien Lake Discussion Thread

P. 745 - Six Flags Sky Screamer Announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby Golddisk » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:32 pm

coasterkid124 wrote:This announcement is still a puzzle to me. The way it looks, there will not be any new ride but the park dubbed this the "entertainment announcement". Entertainment to me means a show, but you could be entertained while on a ride too I guess. The website still lacks a "New for 2014" page so this is hard to figure out. If this is the only announcement this year, I am quite disappointed as I don't plan to watch the show, and the announcement was hyped a lot. Even though a new show is nice, it is kind of expected and there are many areas of the park that need to still be updated to meet the Herschend standard.

I think they can still improve an area of the park as the area in front of Galaxy is seriously in need of some improvements. It could also potentially include the area around prospectors pizza, batting cages, and the bumper cars.

My favorite roller coaster is dumb.

Postby DarienLaker » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:35 pm

Golddisk wrote:
coasterkid124 wrote:This announcement is still a puzzle to me. The way it looks, there will not be any new ride but the park dubbed this the "entertainment announcement". Entertainment to me means a show, but you could be entertained while on a ride too I guess. The website still lacks a "New for 2014" page so this is hard to figure out. If this is the only announcement this year, I am quite disappointed as I don't plan to watch the show, and the announcement was hyped a lot. Even though a new show is nice, it is kind of expected and there are many areas of the park that need to still be updated to meet the Herschend standard.

I think they can still improve an area of the park as the area in front of Galaxy is seriously in need of some improvements. It could also potentially include the area around prospectors pizza, batting cages, and the bumper cars.

Speaking of area at Darien Lake that needs improvement, I could think of two other places in the that needs improvement; the Ride of Steel/Predator area and Hook's Lagoon!
Nobody knows a lot about Darien Lake like me! ;)

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby coasterkid124 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:39 pm

XYZ wrote:

Why would expect so much when the park literally tells you it will be a new show when it said "entertainment announcement"?

If it was a new ride, it would be "attraction announcement".

I figured that it would only be a show as it was an entertainment announcement.

However everyone on this thread and elsewhere is jumping to the conclusion that this IS the only announcement. My gut feeling is that something else is coming as a show and new ride is very doable (Ignite the Night and Blast Off plus the other rehabs last year). DL could have done a better job specifying if or if not this is the only new addition.
I'm actually not a kid; it's my nickname. I'm the youngest guy at my job. Only until after I created my account did I realize it made my sound like I'm 12. "Giddy up"- Cosmo Kramer Finally got an avatar!
Darien Lake coaster drought: 16 years and counting.....

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Coaster Cow » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:39 pm

OH MY FREAKING GOD JUST STOP ALREADY STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP

If you don't have anything to say of value, just don't say it. Please.

If you've already said what you are about to say, don't say it. Chances are the few brave souls who actually read this thread have heard you say it.

If you are about to post ANYTHING, stop and read it. Read it again. Does it make sense? No? Then don't post it.

I'm not trying to backseat-mod here, but holy cow please, I know many of us are from the upstate region and this is the park that we feel connected/fanboy-ish towards but there is a fine line between enthusiast and enthusiast with no knowledge of how parks operate and/or self-perception of one's status as an enthusiast. And many of us are no longer even toeing the line at all.

This was the announcement. Darien Lake has not implied there will be any other announcement. When they do announce such an announcement, then speculation can begin. If not, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY USE THIS THREAD:www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35614

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby TheDarkMaxim » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:42 pm

*Non wild speculation post*

Most of the park really needs an update. So that isn't saying much. I think the worst area right now is the cuda area. You have very outdate fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo and changing rooms. A queue line/catch pool falling apart. The area smells terrible. The slides are a mechanical nightmare. And then you have the Chernobyl disaster right next door. This year is going to be the 20th birthday for those slides. On their facebook they did say that they would discuss those slides future in a ride of the week post. So we could see some changes there (hopeful thinking).

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby Golddisk » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:48 pm

DarienLaker wrote:
Golddisk wrote:

Speaking of area at Darien Lake that needs improvement, I could think of two other places in the that needs improvement; the Ride of Steel/Predator area and Hook's Lagoon!

Yes, we know. This is only the billionth time its been brought up. Hook's Lagoon needs improvements? I don't think it really does. There are other areas the park would be better of spending money then on that. Ride of Steel area certainly could use some fixing up but that's not happening this year. There's a pattern to areas being improved which is something new for that area of the park. Since there's nothing new over it won't been happening this year and it wouldn't really make sense for it to either...

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby DougMJr » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:49 pm

Just going to post the press release for those who want to read it.

INTERNATIONAL SUPERSTAR NIK WALLENDA TO HEADLINE ENTERTAINMENT AT DARIEN LAKE IN 2014
– Nik Wallenda & The Wallenda Family To Join Darien Lake For Upcoming Season –

DARIEN CENTER, N.Y., February 12, 2014 – With decades of experience captivating audiences around the world, aerialist and high-wire artist Nik Wallenda will spend the summer of 2014 high-above Darien Lake. Known as the “King of the Wire,” his high-flying stunts have landed him in the Guinness Book of World Record seven times and his 2012 walk across Niagara Falls made him a household name throughout Western New York.

Darien Lake and presenting sponsor Tim Hortons Café and Bake Shop announced today that the internationally renowned daredevil will star in and produce a 60-minute thrill spectacular exclusively for Darien Lake guests. Showing twice daily in the 1,800 seat Galaxy Theatre from June 23 through September 1st (dark Mondays), the show will mesmerize audiences with exhilarating performances from the world’s best aerialists and stunt performers and climax in the breath-taking Wallenda Family Pyramid on the wire finale. The amazing stunt features Nik, his wife Erendira, and other members of the Wallenda family walking, untethered, 60 feet above the audience.

Wallenda’s involvement doesn’t stop at the Galaxy Theater. Nik Wallenda Productions Inc. will be crafting additional entertainment for Darien Lake including a short-film chronicling the history of the Wallendas, an interactive tight-rope training academy with hands-on instruction, “pop up” street performances from the cast and crew, and a not-to-be-missed premier high-wire stunt on Saturday, May 26.

All performances will be included with park admission and for Darien Lake Vacations guests, with preferred seating and VIP packages sold on a limited basis. 2014 season pass holders will receive exclusive show offers and event invites throughout the show run.

“The level of entertainment Nik will bring to our guests this season is unprecedented,” said Vince Nicoletti, Director of Marketing at Darien Lake. “Nik Wallenda holds 7 world records and he’s coming with the world’s best aerialists and stunt performers in tow. This truly will be an incomparable entertainment experience”.

“My family and I are thrilled to be back in the area and spending our summer at Darien Lake,” said Nik Wallenda. “With more than 1 million people coming to the park every season, it’s the perfect location for our act and we can’t wait to get started.”

For more information about Nik Wallenda and The Wallenda Family at Darien Lake this season, or to learn how season pass holders can get special pre-season access to the park, visit http://www.darienlake.com.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Sk610 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:01 am

I obviously am really hoping for a new ride, but will accept this new show, which does sound very interesting and unique, under the idea that they paint a few coasters like ROS and mind eraser. Maybee some lights on the wheel as well

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby SbSteveZ » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:50 pm

If we're being honest here, and by some wild chance Darien Lake only introduces this show -- it wouldnt be all that bad IF they worked on some internal issues in the park. People are always complaining about the bathrooms, maybe give some/all of them a touch-up, People seem a little so-so on the customer service... Admit it, we've seen work being done with that already. The facebook and twitter pages being used alot more and at least Darien did try to hype over their announcement this time which was nice. Maybe we'll get lucky and see just as much work inside the park customer-service wise as we've begun to see outside. And Lastly, Two train operations coming back is a great thing to hear. I cant wait to see how they pull off two train operations on Boomerang ... *EXTREME SARCASM ALERT* :lol: and I did enjoy the decals they attempted to place on RoS and Viper last year, maybe some more touch ups on the other coaster trains? Sure, we may not get a new ride, but we are kind of seeing them working to improve the rides they already have, in my opinion that can be just as good. In the end, ride or no ride, 2014 should be a good year, as long as it doesnt rain as much as it did in 2013, then it should be fine. Good things come to those who wait my friends, and more importantly, patience is a virtue :)
Last Coaster: Steel Vengeance @ Cedar Point
100TH COASTER: Steel Force @ Dorney Park
RIDE ON!

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby TheDarkMaxim » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:23 pm

^That is something that is happening behind the scenes. There is a bunch of reorganization going on to improve cleanliness. For example, some of the cleaning is going to be shifted towards the people who work in an area, allowing park services to focus on the bathrooms more. This has already be going on in the waterpark, they fully clean it with park services only emptying trash and cleaning the bathrooms.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!