TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Not really news, but I'd like to mention that I've noticed Darien Lake really doing a lot more with their facebook and twitter pages! And finally after 3 months of them being closed they removed the "The park is now OPEN for the 2013 season!" note from their website.

They've been quick to respond to most things people have posted towards them, and to my knowledge they seem pretty helpful at that. Could this be a step forward for them do you think? Because if i remember correctly they've posted a lot more in the past few weeks than they really did over summer...

They just hired a new marketing manager at the begining of December, which is about the same time their online presence started to pick up.

I saw on their Facebook page that they're doing a "Ride of the Week" thing where they show a profile of one of their rides with some info and fun facts about them, last week they did Corn Popper, this week was the Critter Chase kiddie ride, next week who knows?

They also posted video on their Facebook page and I was hoping it was a teaser for their new ride/attraction for 2014, but instead it was just countdown stating that there's 100 days left until opening day on May 10!

last week they did Corn Popper, this week was the Critter Chase kiddie ride, next week who knows?

The anticipation is killing me...

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! I hope it's the Silver Comet next week!

... Wait a minute...

So if you're on facebook, you might've seen the contest for free redhawk/slingshot ride passes based on the SeaHawks winning -- And i think there was something about comical commercials in there

So the point I mention it is I'm curious, did Darien Lake ever give out said "Free Ride" passes before or is this a new thing? Not like its a burning question, just a curiosity.

According to a comment on Darien lake's Facebook page they are getting a new website designed and it's release will coincide with a huge announcement later this month.

That means the announcement should finally be here by the end of this month and it appears it might be something big.

According to a comment on Darien lake's Facebook page they are getting a new website designed and it's release will coincide with a huge announcement later this month.

That means the announcement should finally be here by the end of this month and it appears it might be something big.

Let's be real here. If there has been no spotted construction, signs of construction, unusual activity, or even much of a hint besides Darien Lake saying they will announce what is new for 2014 at the end of the month, is what they could be doing really that big in terms of what enthusiasts get excited for? I think half the problem with 95% of people posting in this thread is that they are developing very high hopes and speculating things with no real evidence or grounding for their assumptions. Darien Lake is a medium-sized park with a turbulent management structure over the past decade that seems to finally be getting themselves organized on solid ground. I don't think it's healthy for anyone's "fandom" of this place to get overly excited on an announcement scheduled for the end of February, a little over two months before opening day. Darien Lake is simply not a park that is going to make huge ride addition leaps as often as a Cedar Point, Kings Island, Six Flags Great America, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and you name it of the huge parks.

Edited by ajfelice

^Yes that's mostly true, but the park is making huge leaps in its own way. Rowdys ridge and the boardwalk are both relatively small additions when compared to something like Banshee. But for the park, they were HUGE. Those two additions created the two nicest areas of the park, and are really brining the park to a good place.

So what I'm saying, if the announcement is anything like what has been done the past two years, I would consider that to be a huge announcement. Also, don't forget Rowdy's ridge wasn't announced till mid March.

^Yes that's mostly true, but the park is making huge leaps in its own way. Rowdy's ridge and the boardwalk are both relatively small additions when compared to something like Banshee. But for the park, they were HUGE. Those two additions created the two nicest areas of the park, and are really brining the park to a good place.

So what I'm saying, if the announcement is anything like what has been done the past two years, I would consider that to be a huge announcement. Also, don't forget Rowdy's ridge wasn't announced till mid March.

Hmmm, I wonder what area of Darien Lake is next for a "revamp"?

^Yes that's mostly true, but the park is making huge leaps in its own way. Rowdy's ridge and the boardwalk are both relatively small additions when compared to something like Banshee. But for the park, they were HUGE. Those two additions created the two nicest areas of the park, and are really brining the park to a good place.

Hmmm, I wonder what area of Darien Lake is next for a "revamp"?

I'd say since they kinda touched up on the Viper in 2010 and of course Rowdy's Ridge in 2012 and The Boardwalk / Laser Amphitheater re-vamp in 2013... the only area left with major rides is the little RoS/Predator area. But speculation aside, the park could use a new website... Not to be critical, but compared to some other park sites, Darien Lake's isn't too wonderfully put together in my opinion. Then again, I'm not a fan of the Six Flags site either...

No need to freak out over my mini speculation earlier. Im not going to obsess and insist it gets done as most other "new for 2014?!" posts on here seem to show

Not that I mean to double post or anything. But for once, I have something this thread hasn't received in a while... Wait for it... NEWS!

Looks like Darien Lake is teaming up with Timmy Ho's for their big 2014 "New Entertainment Announcement" next Wednesday! Finally a date in which stuff will be revealed and food will be available because its TIM HORTONS! My question is why make the announcement in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week, at two different Tim Horton's' (Not sure where the apostrophe goes on a plural possessive in this case... ) And of course the burning question this thread seems to have had since, like, EVAR... What will this "big announcement" actually be? Honestly, Im just glad for the first time in forever (Frozen reference ) We actually have a set date in which we are given the news.

And now that I think about it. Them commenting that they couldn't "Spill the beans" actually had some meaning... Coffee Beans! Yes, I know, I am a dork. anyways. Here's the announcement gained from the Facebook and what not. Enjoy the glorious speculation!

1653918_10152195808979637_1053262015_n.jpg.2a25fbef48ca2c2eef4608cb9aef0807.jpg

Thank you new social media guy! :)

Hmmm...entertainment announcement doesn't exactly sound like ride announcement.

Maybe they are bringing a Cirque-style show to the park?

While I know it would piss off some coaster enthusiasts, I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if that's what it is.

Hmmm...entertainment announcement doesn't exactly sound like ride announcement.

Maybe they are bringing a Cirque-style show to the park?

While I know it would piss off some coaster enthusiasts, I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if that's what it is.

They had one of these before in galaxy I believe.

Here's what I would expect:

1. Something in the old UFO area. It refurbishment was supposed to take at least two years anyways and Darien Lake has confirmed via Facebook it will not be making a return this season.

2. Most likely no Lake Monster announcement. It's hard for me to say much more about LM unless Darien Lake says more about it.

3. Another Tim Hortons stand wouldn't surprise me. The one they do have tends to get VERY long lines on busy days. If there is another one, I expect it to be close to the campground.

1. Something in the old UFO area. It refurbishment was supposed to take at least two years anyways and Darien Lake has confirmed via Facebook it will not be making a return this season.

2. Most likely no Lake Monster announcement. It's hard for me to say much more about LM unless Darien Lake says more about it.

3. Another Tim Hortons stand wouldn't surprise me. The one they do have tends to get VERY long lines on busy days. If there is another one, I expect it to be close to the campground.

I'm kind of expecting the same things as you, but here's what I would expect:

1. Another flat ride to go in UFO's spot

2. Some sort of new show line up like they have every year

3. The reopening of 'Cuda Falls

4. A retheme of Ride of Steel

I'm kind of expecting the same things as you, but here's what I would expect:

1. Another flat ride to go in UFO's spot

2. Some sort of new show line up like they have every year

3. The reopening of 'Cuda Falls

4. A retheme of Ride of Steel

Remove the last two and I think you may have a more realistic view on 2014. The only thing that gets me is they've been saying how excited they are, and what a great season they're anticipating. I would assume this would mean they are hoping this announcement would cause for an increase in visitors and maybe a new Darien Lake classic... And not to mention I think this is one of the first times Darien has had an actual "Announcement" that wasn't simply on the internet or part of a season pass holder benefits thing or whatever. So regardless of the actual announcement I do enjoy that they are kind of organizing the announcement a little more then they have in the past. I think hiring this new digital media guy was a GREAT idea on Darien Lake's part. I look forward to seeing what else they have in store for us in the future!

So I for one am hoping for a number of things in this announcement coming up.

First I hope for a good modern style flat ride. I look at some of the more recent flat ride additions at Canada's Wonderland in a Frisbee style ride, the huss jump and things like that. I really think DL's flat ride collection is aging quickly and will all eventually need replacing with new and modern flats. My guess is a frisbee, but they could easily add two flats as well (there is a flying carpet hanging around basically free)

Second, I expect to see a new themed restaurant to be made inside the park, or just outside the current park limits either by the campgrounds or the hotel, but not far from the current park. Can we say BBQ??

Third, to go along with the new ride, another newly themed area of the park.

Fourth, I expect the announcement that Cuda Falls will be torn down and replaced with a new traditional style slide complex that will be placed over in the same area as the rest of the current waterpark.

Lastly, I expect them to announce that this coming year will be Predator's last year, so come on out and get your last rides on Predator before it is gone

I look at how some of the other HFE parks like Dollywood make announcements, and it looks like they add flats and slides and then add a coaster the next year. It sees HFE likes to have more than one item on the announcements alot of times.