2019 Adventures Photo TR

Six Flags New England Added!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: 2019 Adventures Photo TR

Postby cfc » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:13 am

I've always thought of Dorney as a "generic" Cedar Fair park, which has a cool log ride. I am a sucker for Morgan Hypercoasters, though.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:35 am

I've always admired the color schemes on the coasters at Dorney. Talon and Hydra have been on my want to ride list for all the reasons you mentioned that make it slightly different than the other inverts.

Great update and congrats on surviving Frontier!
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby YoshiFan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:58 am

Whip is still there, they added some new signs about the history of the ride for its 100th season.

Voodoo had the name change because Six Flags trademarked the name I think after the 2008 season.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby RCjunkie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:29 am

coasterbill wrote:As for Dorney, it's so funny to me that pretty much every one of these pictures could have literally been taken in 2008.

That goes for all the 'small' CF parks after the Paramount acquisition. Since 2007....no love for the small parks. :lol:

Thanks for the entertaining report though! Will have to get there someday. With the Morgan and Impulse Intamin it looks like VF with a little more to offer.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:42 am

Thanks again for all the comments, guys!

So, splitting the day in half, I left Dorney early in the afternoon and made the somewhat brief, uneventful drive to,

Six Flags Great Adventure

So, okay, this is a very well-documented park that most members have been to. I try to visit this park once a year or so, sometimes I even get there twice in a year. It's a huge park with a lot to do. I feel that it's kind of a bellwether and snapshot of the Six Flags chain as a whole. I've noticed that when the entire park chain is having a good season, Great Adventure is having a good season. The park has a little bit of everything Six Flags in terms of rides diversity, coasters, etc. You get to see the best and the worst of Six Flags at different points of any single visit. Anyways, I now really need to rip the band aid off, break the glass, and sound the alarm:

There are some serious issues with El Toro right now that need to be addressed.

I haven't seen anyone else post about this and I'm really surprised. I say this as someone who absolutely adores this coaster and has El Toro tied with Lightning Rod and Expedition GeForce as their #1 coaster. Okay, so maybe not everywhere on the entire coaster, but there are three spots on the coaster where the roughness and violence is so severe that I can't believe it's about to run an entire season like this. Namely, the turnaround, the "floater hill", and especially coming out of the Rolling Thunder hill. You seriously slam into such a hard pot hole at the bottom of the Rolling Thunder hill that I'm surprised I didn't have a stroke in my sleep that night after riding in a wheel seat. Middle rows of cars on the train were much more bearable. I got about 10 rides in total that day, including 4 back car, middle row at the end of the day, and I could have had more, but I had to walk away.

I rode Colossos in May 2015, just a few months before the big closure. This is how that felt. Now, as I said, this isn't everywhere, it's limited to these named spots, and to the best of my knowledge, Six Flags has done some re-tracking here and there (correct me if I'm wrong). But please, Six Flags, you have one of the absolute best coasters in the entire freaking world. Please make it right.

And with that, photo time.
001.jpg
Disney entrance arch ain't got sh*t on the chromed-out Six Flags sign in New Jersey. Wanna fight about it?
002.jpg
The obligatory Great Adventure parking lot shot. I arrived to find the parking lot the emptiest I think I've ever seen it.
003.jpg
Guys...guys...Six Flags has actually re-painted something! This should be front page news right here. I'm happy to report that the parking lot poles have been FRESHLY PAINTED YELLOW.

F*ck, I should've put a great big watermark with my logo embossed in the photo for when this gets shared across the interwebs so everyone knows I took it first.
004.jpg
Oh wait...Superman got painted too! Whaaaat is this craziness? Honestly, Superman looks about 10,000x better without the yellow rails.

Wait...maybe they intended to paint the rails yellow, but the guy doing the painting screwed up and painted the parking lot poles instead. I mean...they are RIGHT in front of Superman. Like, right there. In fact, the more I repeat this in my head, the more plausible and true it seems.

And there you have the process in which new coaster/ride rumors get started and subsequently get reported on Screamscape.
005.jpg
Remember that time...when Six Flags actually themed an area of one of their parks? It almost seems untrue, but they actually did that once and they did it well. Why didn't this idea last?

The Golden Kingdom is probably the single nicest area of any Six Flags park, periodt.
006.jpg
Oh you know where this is going. I clearly have my phone in my hand to take a photo, so this is going straight to the fluffy bunny so I can ride El Toro.
007.jpg
We pick it back up over in front of Green Lantern, formerly Chang at formerly Six Flags, now just Kentucky Kingdom.

Wouldn't it be cool if for Fright Fest they took Bizarro's trains and retractable floor system and traded with Green Lantern's stand-up trains and solid floors, then switched it back again after?

The funny thing about all these hypotheticals today is that they all sound exactly like something Six Flags would do.
008.jpg
And just like that we're magically over by Batman! Batman: the Ride: proving since 6 years before Dueling Dragons were built that B&M Inverts last a long time and their level of awesome lasts even longer! Not 1% of the greatness of Batman has been lost in its 26 years of existence. Not 1%.
009.jpg
For the first time in 4 or 5 years, I got some of those "legendary Nitro rides" that sometimes I pinch myself and ask if they're real or not.

For starters, the trains got a ton of maintenance in the off season. You could tell because they ran without a squeak or rattle and the restraint covers were fresh.

I have some friends who weirdly fetishize Mako, and since the layouts are so similar (at least the first 1/2) I always tell them about these rides on Nitro that can be had that crap all over Mako. To be clear, we're not talking Intamin hyper levels of great, but sometimes B&M hypers can deliver a ton of airtime and give extremely fun rides. This was one of those times.
010.jpg
Back over to Plaza del Carnival, because if I'm going to be beaten up, it sure better be El Toro doing it.
011.jpg
The bottom line, this coaster is still incredible and we are not worthy of the airtime these huge hills shower us with. El Toro is a masterpiece of a wood coaster and there's just nothing else like these rides. In a way, I'm almost glad the Intamin pre-fab woodies didn't catch on like RMC's rapid-fire growth. It makes us appreciate El Toro, Balder, Colossos, and T-Express all the more.
012.jpg
A train of riders about to be absolutely thrown into what I believe is the best first drop of any coaster. Funny how El Toro can be like 180 feet tall and stand right next to the tallest coaster in the world, far more than double its height, yet have the superior drop by a mile.
013.jpg
Hey, kids! Now that you have your diamond elite platinum plus extra special top-level exclusive membership, what better way to take advantage of how VIP you are than to bring more of your dollars to these other locations and spend them there too! Go to LaRonde!!!

Lol, but really, don't go to LaRonde.
014.jpg
Oh, no, I didn't forget about her. She was being a b*tch that day and never opened. They did cycle 2 or 3 trains about 15 minutes before closing, though, likely in anticipation for the following day.

Ttyl!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:18 am

Great report!

I agree El Toro had some bumps, but unless it got way rougher than it was opening day, it's still smoother than 90% of wooden coasters out there and I had no problem marathoning it. I really wonder how bad Colossos got to need a full rail replacement.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Gardaland & Mirabilandia

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:17 am

I think I'm the only TPR member who hasn't been to Great Adventure. Thank you for the reminder to get my ass out to Jersey.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Chasehat » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:13 pm

I agree about the bottom of the Rolling Thunder Hill desperately needing work. That’s the only spot on the ride where any of the roughness actually bothers me and at least as of the end of May even that spot was pretty smooth in a non wheel seat (is extremely jarring in a wheel seat)
Top 10 coasters
1. El Toro 2. Superman (SFNE) 3. Steel Vengance
4. Skyrush 5. Maverick 6. Millennium Force
7. Wicked Cyclone 8. Storm Chaser
9. Boulder Dash 10. Fury 325

Postby bert425 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:31 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:I think I'm the only TPR member who hasn't been to Great Adventure. Thank you for the reminder to get my ass out to Jersey.

I haven't been either! so love reading the reports. .thanks for sharing.

How long was the drive from Dorney to Great Adventure?

I had absolutely no idea it was so close that you could leave Dorney and still spend a good chunk of time at SFGA. . .otherwise during our trip thru Penn. a few years ago (where we ended with a few days in Philly), we would have made an effort to go to SFGA :(

but yeah. .gotta get to SFGA.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Mike240SX » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:35 pm

Dorney to SFGAdv is about an hour and a half depending on traffic.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!