Photo TR: WFChris's Mexico Trips!

3/24/15: Guadalajara: Selva Magica and The Bullet!!! P.15
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Photo TR: WFChris's Mexico Trips!

Postby WFChris » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:50 pm

¡Bienvenidos a mi Trip Report!

------This is my Thread Index------
Page 1: Touring around Mexico City, Six Flags Mexico (you are here)
Page 3: La Feria de Chapultepec, Divertido, Mexico City, DF touch this
Page 4: Parque Bicentenario, Queretaro touch here
Page 5: Selva Magica, Guadalajara, JAL touch this
Page 6: Touring around Tequila and Guadalajara, JAL touch here
Page 7: Feria de la Ciudad De Mexico (Mexico City Fair), Mexico City, DF touch this
Page 8: Touring around Mexico City, Frida Kahlo Museum, Mexico City, DF touch here
Page 9: Mundo Divertido, Tijuana, BC, Castillo de Chapultepec, Mexico City, DF touch this
Page 10: Xochimilco, Mexico City, DF touch here
Page 11: Completely random pictures of Mexico City, DF tap this!
Page 12: Six Flags Mexico with Medusa Construction pics! hit me!
Page 13: La Feria and Vive Latino Music Festival! smack that!
Page 14: A quick update from Mundo Divertido in Tijuana, BC. Touchy me
Page 14: Back to Mexico City for Medusa Steel Coaster! Hit it!
Page 15: Guadalajara, Zoologico, Selva Magica, The Bullet! clicky
-------This is the end of my Thread Index------

Hello all,

Today I woke up feeling inspired to feed the TPR content kitty with a Photo TR of my adventures in Mexico. This was my first 'real' trip outside of the US, and this is also my first Photo TR. So bear with me =)

So 2013 turned out to be the year I fell in love with Mexico. It all started when TPR offered the Mexico Trip, and after years of my friends bailing on doing anything adventurous with me, I decided 'screw them, I'm going on a trip with TPR.' I've always wanted to and Mexico was perfect because I really wanted to experience a TPR 'first time' destination. So in went the deposit and the wait began. I decided to land a day before the trip and then stay an extra 4 nights after the trip ended. I know myself, and I need some 'me' time when I visit a new place. Turns out a few of us did the one day early thing but I was the lone man doing the post-stay. I figured if Mexico was as scary and evil that everybody likes to think it is, I can just hide in my hotel room or something.

Anyway, I'm Chris. TPR member since whatever it says <---- over there.
me.jpg
ooooh onride photo tisk tisk! oh wait Robb took it.
a photo 1.JPG
This is the international baggage claim at Mexico City Airport. You can tell because it says Banda.
a photo 2.JPG
The US Government told me to take a 'Sitio Taxi' (pronounced C - T - O). So you get one of these guys, and then they lead you to a waiting taxi. 197 pesos is about $15 USD.
a photo 3.JPG
This was my first impression shot when I was all like 'holy crap I'm not in Kansas anymore. Or California. Whatever.
a photo 4.JPG
In Mexico they remind you that smoking is evil, however I was somehow compelled to try to collect all the different packs. Cancer de boca yay!
a photo 5.JPG
And this was my first meal. About $8. Rolled tacos, pozole, mexican coke, and habanero salsa. Aka heaven.
b photo 1.JPG
This is the Angel of Independence. It was right around the corner from my hotel the first night.
b photo 2.JPG
The outside of my hotel. Awesome, trendy boutique place right in the middle of the gay neighborhood, Zona Rosa. Which bar should I go to? Macho or Papi? :) In case you're wondering, Gay Marriage is totally a 'thing' in Mexico City. Take that, Red States!
b photo 3.JPG
Ended up going to Nicho. I took this picture because it COULD be a super fancy place in the US with ridiculous prices. I mean, it could.
b photo 4.JPG
These guys climb up the pole and then swing around it all the way to the ground while they play music. Culture is important.
b photo 5.JPG
This is the Museo Nacional de Antropologia. I'm not much of a Museum person, but the other dudes wanted to, and well, Mexico City has a crapload of Museums so basically its a requirement when your there. Besides, there was some pretty cool stuff in there.
c photo 1.JPG
While TPR may be obsessed with boobs, I managed to entertain myself with other body parts.
c photo 2.JPG
This is the Aztec Calendar. It's a very special picture because I'm the only one in it and that in itself is a huge accomplishment and great honor.
c photo 3.JPG
The museum goes all around this courtyard. The roof is held up by that single column. Obama did a speech here.
c photo 4.JPG
Historic protection?
c photo 5.JPG
The first homo is extremely important. That's why you can read about him in a museum.
d photo 2.JPG
Size is important in Mexico.
d photo 3.JPG
See?
d photo 4.JPG
I wanted to know what was going on here, but they didn't have a sign in English. I'm pretty sure I have it all figured out correctly in my head.
e photo 1.JPG
Giant shrimp. I ordered the Diablo variety, but this place clearly catered to the white man and it wasn't very diablo. Still, they were huge!!!!!
e photo 2.JPG
The next day was the official start of the TPR tour. Everybody arrived the previous night and did whatever they felt was culturally appropriate in the hotel lobby. We started out by leaving Mexico City and heading out to Teotihuacan. These low income neighborhoods were incredibly dense and fascinating to look at.
e photo 3.JPG
This random stray dog made for a cool artsy photo. Or just a photo with a dog and ruins. You decide!
e photo 4.JPG
This was a deceivingly steep staircase. Photos make us look like wimps but you must believe me. That being said, I was not part of the 'Sit my way down the stairs' group.
e photo 5.JPG
TPR swag plug!!!
e photo 6.JPG
This van had approximately 18 people in it.
e photo 7.JPG
So this is the big attraction. You get to climb to the top. It was also hot out and you can see the huge amounts of shade. TPR went from white to pink on day one of the trip regardless of if you were wearing sunscreen. By the way I didn't have sunscreen, and this proved to be an adventure in itself to solve.
f photo 1.JPG
You cant just wonder up though. You must endure (as coined by Robb) Line The Ride. Good thing it wasn't hot out or anything!
f photo 2.JPG
I was told to take this picture of somebody else taking this picture. I'm new to TPR trips so I did what I was told.
f photo 3.JPG
I made it! You can also tell that I'm an eagle scout because I opted for the large bottle of water. Totally worth carrying it.
f photo 4.JPG
They fed us this chicken and cactus dish. It appeared again at the end of the trip 'fancy style.' The good eating in Mexico continues!
f photo 5.JPG
You have to turn the little knob on the toilet, then turn it off again. It's the little things that make travel awesome.
g photo 1.JPG
This IS a TPR trip, right? The first credit in Mexico for many of us was a Wacky Worm. This was also my first Wacky Worm ever.
g photo 2.JPG
This was our tour guide. He was awesome. After we left the National Palace, you had to follow his Mexican Flag On A Stick. If you failed to do this, you would be lost forever in the Zocalo, and eventually forgotten stateside.
g photo 3.JPG
Yes!!!
g photo 4.JPG
Mice!!!!!
g photo 5.JPG
Most of us opted to see the Ballet Folklorico. We were tired, but I mean, YOLO! Beautiful building, beautiful show. Totally worth the extra energy and money. The next update will have more flags, so clearly it will be more fun. PLEASE COMMENT! This is my first Photo TR!!! Suggestions welcomed!!!
Last edited by WFChris on Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:34 pm.
My MEXICO adventures with TPR and MORE!!!!
TOUCH ME to read along

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Photo TR: WF OMG Mexico!

Postby GwaziBSRider1 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:55 pm

Great TR! Brings back some great memories of that tour! I wish I would've been able to go to the Museo Nacional de Antropologia, but I just didn't have the time.

Postby WFChris » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:17 pm

I know TPR doesn't really care about culture as much as THEME PARKS so I wanted to get some coasters going in this P:TR! That being said, lets get going!

My home park is SFMM, the crown jewel of the Six Flags chain. Even though I'm on a TPR trip, my exposure to theme parks outside of California and the Busch parks is actually quite limited, so Six Flags Mexico was actually my second Six Flags Park ever. I have to say that I loved it...it reminded me of a hilly version of Knotts Berry Farm and was really a beautiful place. Anyway, I'm just posting these photos in the order I took them so they kinda jump around a little bit.
a photo 1.JPG
The entrance plaza. Already looks far more promising than the beauty that is my SFMM.
a photo 2.JPG
Bienvenidos!!!!
a photo 3.JPG
Yes, that's right. A Pase Anual is $490 pesos. That's $37 USD.
a photo 4.JPG
From the outside of the park, Medusa Wood Coaster looms high above and makes for a cool setting.
a photo 5.JPG
Our first ride of the day was Superman but wait a second....
b photo 1.JPG
Holy crap!!! This IS a Six Flags park, right?!?!?!
b photo 2.JPG
No way. It can't be. It looks too good.
b photo 3.JPG
Superman's station. The ride is kind of separated from the park making it difficult to photograph.
b photo 4.JPG
But their new ride, Joker, was right in the middle of a midway and looked really nice. SFM managed to make it look much better than it did in California.
b photo 5.JPG
That gun in the center spins. Just like the coaster cars. We live in the future.
b photo 6.JPG
This is what it looks like from the queue, if you actually decided to wait in it. We got lead on earlier in the day with a minimal wait.
b photo 7.JPG
Superman! The only Hyper coaster in Mexico.
c photo 1.JPG
My first chance to finally say it: Superman THROUGH THE TREES!!!
c photo 2.JPG
And Joker again.
c photo 3.JPG
This is Batman, but you may not recognize it because in Mexico, it's disguised as an SLC.
c photo 4.JPG
This is my first SLC and well, other than the obnoxiously huge restraints it wasn't that bad of a ride.
c photo 5.JPG
In the same way that I thought Flashback at SFMM wasn't that bad of a ride. That's superman behind it.
d photo 1.JPG
Batman's twisty loop thingie and Superman's second hill.
d photo 2.JPG
Medusa Wood Coaster. It rattled at the bottom of the drops but was really enjoyable.
d photo 3.JPG
There go a bunch of happy TPR members!!!
d photo 4.JPG
When the train went around the turn at the top of this lift, the whole structure swayed like 6 feet. I may but under-stating that, too.
d photo 5.JPG
If you haven't ridden it yet, too bad. You never will. Instead you will have to ride it in it's newer more badass form as an RMC caoster.
e photo 1.JPG
Dark Knight. Apparently it's the same as the other ones. Mouse in a box.
e photo 2.JPG
Another one for good measure. I want to say the cars kept moving through the station but I just don't remember.
e photo 3.JPG
This is a picture of an un-gated exit, because Mexican theme park goers are much smarter and respectful of rules than Americans.
e photo 4.JPG
The first Boomerang ever ever!!! This is my 2nd boomerang, after the one at KBF which was also painted the same way when I rode it.
e photo 5.JPG
Boomerang and their S&S Combo Tower (?) Kilauea.
f photo 1.JPG
Ha! Caught her!
f photo 2.JPG
These balls have seen better days. There's a joke in there somewhere.
f photo 3.JPG
That pyramid thing is over their Tivoli coaster. These green arrows are everywhere. They are emergency exit routes for earthquakes and no matter where you are standing, by law you have to be able to see one. Los Angeles is going to die in the next big earthquake.
f photo 4.JPG
Uh oh, broken sign!
f photo 5.JPG
But being Not Magic Mountain, this got fixed immediately.
g photo 1.JPG
Woohoo! I finally made it out of the country!! I am so freakin happy!!!!
g photo 2.JPG
We got to do Vampire Infestation for free. It's normally a 50 peso upcharge. It's a typical haunted walk-through with people yelling at you and what not.
g photo 3.JPG
German themed Chinese food.
g photo 4.JPG
The games area was fun and more affordable than Magic Mountain.
g photo 5.JPG
I don't know why I took this picture. Probably because I was still in shock that I was at a Six Flags park that looked so nice.
h photo 1.JPG
The tag says Six Flags Mexico. But obviously I had to take a picture. I'm a medium stateside but apparently a Mexican XL and I just can't do that to my ego.
h photo 2.JPG
Dolphin Show...these are popular at theme parks. Really too bad there was no shade in the stadium.
h photo 3.JPG
It was hot, so we did this. The crowd at Six Flags Mexico was all so happy and having so much fun. It really was like stepping back in time to a place where people still enjoyed themselves at theme parks. So this raft ride, like many others, teases you the whole way through, only getting some of you wet. At the end, it just goes right through a waterfall...oh, and it slows down to a CRAWL before you go through to ensure nobody gets off dry.
h photo 4.JPG
SFMM -> Tear out the tree. SFM -> Figure out a way to keep the trees!
h photo 5.JPG
This sign had us confused. We wanted the $15 fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo and not the $350 one, but it turns out that there is no $350 fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo and you pay the $15 after you are done renting. Whoops.
i photo 1.JPG
People having fun waiting in line for the crooked house. We were in line for Boomerang and people were singing to pass the time. We saw this more than once. I'm not kidding when I say that everyone in the park was there to have a genuinely good time.
i photo 2.JPG
Why KBF Why?!?!?!?!
i photo 3.JPG
While it was nice to see a crooked house again, 95% of it was listening to this dude talk really fast. We understood nothing and just kind of huddled in the back praying that he wouldn't call us up and make us look really weird. He didn't.
i photo 4.JPG
Woohoo! Beer was available everywhere, people were drinking, and still no jackassery. I think this was $90.
i photo 5.JPG
Kilauea and theming.
j photo 1.JPG
The brake run on Medusa as seen from the exit path.
j photo 2.JPG
Yes, this officially licensed Six Flags shirt says 'TRASH.'
j photo 3.JPG
Another 'wow this park kicks all kinds of ass' ambiance shot.
j photo 4.JPG
Look how happy everybody is!!!!
j photo 5.JPG
So I asked the lady behind the counter what 'Longaniza' is, and she comes around, holds my hand, and takes me to the kitchen area. She showed me the meat before it was cooked, then had somebody prepare some so I can see what it looked like done. Of course I ordered some and it was great! A lot like chorizo but larger chunks and...well, different. I grabbed some salsa and started eating, and the same lady looks over and sees that we didn't grab any jalapeno or seasoned carrots and got them for us. UNREAL service. Oh and by the way the food was really good!
k photo (1).JPG
I found this little place about a half mile from the hotel the previous night and took some members over after Six Flags. I asked the concierge 'where would YOU eat' and this seemed to get me exactly what I wanted. I'm really not interested in tourist-oriented food and this was delicious. Next update is La Feria, which I'll post as soon as there is a page 2 to post to. So please COMMENT!
TOUCH ME to read along

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby djcoastermark » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Excellent !! That was one of the most fun trip reports I've seen. You really managed to convey how much fun your trip was. I was laughing the whole time reading all the little stories you told with your captions!

Postby WFChris » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:42 pm

^Thanks! That means a lot to me! The trip really was life-changing for me. Can't wait to share more!
TOUCH ME to read along

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:52 pm

I like the manner in which you are presenting your photos and story. Very genuine and matter of fact without forcing humor when it's not there.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby WFChris » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks Larry! Just telling my story in my own, sometimes weird, words :lmao:
TOUCH ME to read along

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:14 pm

Great report! And so many photos, too, thanks for uploading them. I'm not a fan of shrimp but I still have to say damn those looked good; and are huge!
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simon8899 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:15 am

Great TR from a beautiful park - I guess all SF parks would look like this if Efteling would take them over. Not a bad thought overall... ;)

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:54 am

Great start to your TR, Chris! Very funny in a lot of captions you posted with the pix.
Looking forward to more of the visit - and when can we tour Mexico again?
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!