TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Indiana Beach (IB) Discussion Thread

At WCB, the guy from S&S talked a lot about this concept and showed videos and pictures.

I am NOT impressed. It looks quite painful, uncomfortable, and barely a step above the Squirrel (which he kept mentioning as being a giant failure HILARIOUS!!!)

I hope you're wrong. Though I am a little puzzled as to why IB didn't go with known winners, like a Eurofighter or a Maurer spinner.

Heck, I'd have been happy with them restoring some old Schwarzkopf.

At WCB, the guy from S&S talked a lot about this concept and showed videos and pictures.

I am NOT impressed. It looks quite painful, uncomfortable, and barely a step above the Squirrel (which he kept mentioning as being a giant failure HILARIOUS!!!)

I too find it hilarious that he was calling the SS a "failure". I wish I had been there to hear that. The SS was really one of the dumbest and most pointless rides I've ever experienced. If this new ride is based on that, well, I suspect it will be, um, not very good...

dt

I hope you're wrong. Though I am a little puzzled as to why IB didn't go with known winners, like a Eurofighter or a Maurer spinner.

I think they wanted to try something new and original and I don't blame them. Someones got to get the first and for all we know, it might be a hit for the park.

I think they wanted to try something new and original and I don't blame them. Someones got to get the first and for all we know, it might be a hit for the park.

But it's not new and original. It's an updated version of an apparently really bad ride.

If nothing else this ride features a great gimmick, being the steepest drop in the states.. no matter what Hershey says, hah.

There's a chance I will be visiting a friend in Indiana this summer, so both this park and Holiday World are on the agenda. I'd really like to ride this, it looks very unique - albeit possibly painful.

So even if the ride isn't fantastic, it will definitely boost attendance if advertised properly.

Well, while I ahve my doubts, I do want to remind everybody that every so often there will be an upgraded version of an old and sucky ride that ends up rocking.

Whilee I realize this is not exactly the same case, people's reviews of Master Blaster waterslides were luke-warm and less than enthusiastic. But Deluge is the same concept with aslight upgrade, and it is a fantastic ride. So hopefully this case will be the same.

Well, while I ahve my doubts, I do want to remind everybody that every so often there will be an upgraded version of an old and sucky ride that ends up rocking.

Whilee I realize this is not exactly the same case, people's reviews of Master Blaster waterslides were luke-warm and less than enthusiastic. But Deluge is the same concept with aslight upgrade, and it is a fantastic ride. So hopefully this case will be the same.

Eh? One of the three Master Blasters at Typhoon Lagoon is easily the best water park attraction I've been on. Pure airtime bliss. Of course, I haven't been on Deluge yet and fully expect Deluge to be better.

No-one is a bigger Indiana Beach fanboy than myself, and even I'm worried - even more so after The Sale. The Spackman's were super devoted at fixing their painful rides (ie: Lost Coaster), but I just can't see the new owners caring as much .. I mean no-one looks after a property as much the people who started it (from nothing) and ran it for over 80 years..

So before I was "cautiously excited" for Steel Hawg, I am now very much "Meh".

Cameron.

and I'd have to say the jumbo sized version of this could possibly contend for the world's worst coaster, if someone was every dumb enough to spend that kind of money on that kind of ride

I visited a few sites and read a few things I don't like.

A. The new ownership might not keep not only Tig'er, but also the Galaxi.

B. There is talk after this season that IB is going to be a resort guests only park.

C. I also read that the campgrounds might be a timeshare program.

That being said, there is nothing to back these up, but who knows what will happen. Personally, I hope they keep it all the same.

I visited a few sites and read a few things I don't like.

A. The new ownership might not keep not only Tig'er, but also the Galaxi.

B. There is talk after this season that IB is going to be a resort guests only park.

C. I also read that the campgrounds might be a timeshare program.

That being said, there is nothing to back these up, but who knows what will happen. Personally, I hope they keep it all the same.

I'm going to go ahead and not really pay attention to such rumors just yet. I'm still holding out hope for the park.

Rumor C is laughable. Who would buy timeshares of a campground?

Edit: I just did a search, and apparently campground timeshares do exist. Bizarre.

Well, I'd just like to point out that I heard that they're planning on removing the Galaxi back when we were at IB, way before it was sold. So while that has a higher chance of being true, I don't think it's to blame on the new owners necessarily.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.screamscape.com/html/indiana_beach.htm

Park News - (3/28/08) According to a Screamscape reader the calendar for Indiana Beach has been updated to include extra days in September and October, but unfortunately the nightly park closing has been trimmed back to 10pm at the latest in the summer. According to our local source, given the location of the park and the switch to Daylight Savings Time switch a couple of years back it wont get really dark on your peak summer days until about 9pm. If the crowds warrant it, lets hope they reconsider this push for an early closing.

This is not trivial and is easily the worst move made by the new owners. Nothing beats IB at night. And now IB at night does not exist. This is real proof that the new owners don't know a thing about the park they just bought.

This ride looks like its going to hurt. Has anyone ridden a screaming squirrel? do they hurt?

The Screamin' Squirrel goes much slower, but yeah, this looks like it's either going to be really good or really bad. The layout looks to be really intense, of the type that will work beautifully if and only if the cars traverse the track perfectly. If the cars bounce around at all it'll be without question a once-is-enough experience.

In any way, shape or form, could this be more FUN that Tig'ger? I like being optomistic, but this doesn't look like fun. I mean, Twister out, Chaos in, I dunno. The park itself is one of the best experiences anywhere on the planet... I know they will maintain that...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it matters. If you want to think of it as an inversion, go right ahead. The question I have is how much fun will this ride be? I'm also concerned it won't have the interaction with Lake Shafer like many of the other rides at IB do, but the uniqueness of the ride definitely has something going for it. The small footprint also is good news for IB. I'm sure I'll get up there this summer, so I'll save my judgement of Steel Hawg until after I try it.

-James Dillaman

I don't think I am a fan of this coaster at all. I mean I'm not sure whether that it is an inversion or a drop but that is not the issue for me. The issues for me would be the possible roughness of the ride due to its intense compact twisting nature. I also think that a cutting-edge steel coaster might ruin the Indiana Beach feel and overall atmosphere.

It is good whether you like this ride or not that there is track beginning to arrive on-site.