TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Dolly will be at Dollywood Friday, August 18 for a PR event:

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/dolly-parton-to-visit-dollywood/463107578

That's the day I might be in the park lol I was going to buy a timesaver unlimited anyway but does anyone know if this makes it more crowded with her being there now?

I'm still on the fence about what I'm going to do, I put together a last minute trip and was planning on going to dollywood the 17th/18th before finding out they aren't open on the 17th I have to be back on the 19th no matter what so I don't have much leeway schedule wise. Since I'm driving I may just skip it and go from kings island back home with a stop at Kennywood for the day instead.

I have been there a few times when she has.. doesn't rlly make it much more crowded other than press people.. actually, last year you wouldn't even of known she was there the day I was

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

And I'm telling you, that new project very important to her is that snow park from Nashville! I'm calling it now, moving it to Dollyood now that Gaylord no longer own opreyland

Tickets at Work or AAA seem to be good options if you have either of those.

Thanks. I do. Its $3 off through AAA. I was just curious if there were coupons that were more at like a restaurant chain, gas station, soda can, or anything like that.

If anyone knows where to find actual coupons for my visit to Dollywood next week, much appreciated, thanks!!!

They have mostly used McDonald's for the past few years and you can get that discount online like you found already.. maybe they will extend it I'm not sure if the McDonald's bags have a different date on them or not but the bags (or cups I can't remember) did have a $5 coupon on them BUT I haven't received one in a while.. A lot of area McDonald's might be out but I did receive them earlier this season.. it pointed you online for the $10 Discount or said bring the bag (or cup, again I can't remember) to the gate for a $5 discount. Very possible that it had a different date on the bag or no date at all

If you have area passes to anything local in your area, sometimes they have reciprocal agreements.. I know Biltmore passes do, Ripley's Aquarium, Chattanooga aquarium, Knoxville Zoo, all those places have a hidden discount for Dollywood.. other places do to, even places further away. If you have something with an annual pass in your area (looks like your from the Midwest) it's worth calling Dollywood and seeing if they have a reciprocal agreement with them.

They used to put $5 off on Coke cans around here but I haven't seen that this year.

They have mostly used McDonald's for the past few years and you can get that discount online like you found already.. maybe they will extend it I'm not sure if the McDonald's bags have a different date on them or not but the bags (or cups I can't remember) did have a $5 coupon on them BUT I haven't received one in a while.. A lot of area McDonald's might be out but I did receive them earlier this season.. it pointed you online for the $10 Discount or said bring the bag (or cup, again I can't remember) to the gate for a $5 discount. Very possible that it had a different date on the bag or no date at all

If you have area passes to anything local in your area, sometimes they have reciprocal agreements.. I know Biltmore passes do, Ripley's Aquarium, Chattanooga aquarium, Knoxville Zoo, all those places have a hidden discount for Dollywood.. other places do to, even places further away. If you have something with an annual pass in your area (looks like your from the Midwest) it's worth calling Dollywood and seeing if they have a reciprocal agreement with them.

They used to put $5 off on Coke cans around here but I haven't seen that this year.

Thank you for all the info and options, very helpful... now the next dilemma is if LR will be open and running when we go.....

Pretty jealous of anyone taking advantage of the 5 minute wait on LR right now. It seems like LR is running a lot more consistently which is great!

Yeah I just took a peak at the wait times, no waits for anything else, I was gonna buy the timesaver unlimited in advance but might just keep an eye on how many are available at this point and see how it goes first. I'm mainly waiting to see if lightning rod will be open that day and then I'll definitely buy it.

Check tomorrow's wait times, Friday is usually a little longer.. you planned to visit next Friday correct? You might still want a Time saver on Friday

Thanks I'll definitely check and yeah that would be my only day there anyway and it's only open 10-7 so I'll probably just get it since I don't know when I'll be back.

It's hit or miss on Friday this time of year.. folks try to sneak in those last minute weekend vacations before school and all of that.. it might not be busy, but be prepared! You can always buy your saver at the park

I'll be making my first ever visit to Dollywood this Saturday as a surprise trip for my fiancé's birthday. I've been watching LR like a hawk through the app and am keeping my fingers crossed that it's open so we can get at least one ride in on it (although from everything I've read, one won't be enough ). I did happen to notice that when I looked at 5pm LR was marked as TC and then changed to CD with the rest of the rides at 0-5 minutes. I really hope they just closed it because the park is so empty. I'm planning on probably getting the TimeSaver Unlimited passes to ensure that we can get through everything; can anyone tell me where I go to purchase those if I decide to do so in the park rather than online? Side note: I'm dying to try some of that cinnamon bread! Can anyone offer any recommendations on food choices for us? Thanks!

A really great and quiet day at the park (and Splash Country) today. I started off at Splash Country and by the time I left, there were still less than 500 people in the park. RiverRush was a walk on. After I finished at Splash Country, I hopped over to Dollywood. I had though there was a tram that would take you to Dollywood or a way to get to the parking lot from Splash Country, but I was told to exit the park and come back through the toll booths. Dollywood was also really quiet today. It didn't start off well as I walked to Thunderhead and saw there was a 5 minute wait on the app. Unfortunately I was greeted with a line all the way down the stairs with 1 switchback full and it was only running 1 train (about a 30 minute wait). I came back later in the day and it was a walk on (and yes, I agree it needs a little bit of work this off season).

Something really funny happened on River Rampage. We came up to the waterfall and it turned off, our boat passed 1/2 under the waterfall when it suddenly turned back on and soaked half the boat. Needless to say, the girl that it soaked wasn't too happy about it.

A really great and quiet day at the park (and Splash Country) today. I started off at Splash Country and by the time I left, there were still less than 500 people in the park. RiverRush was a walk on. After I finished at Splash Country, I hopped over to Dollywood. I had though there was a tram that would take you to Dollywood or a way to get to the parking lot from Splash Country, but I was told to exit the park and come back through the toll booths. Dollywood was also really quiet today. It didn't start off well as I walked to Thunderhead and saw there was a 5 minute wait on the app. Unfortunately I was greeted with a line all the way down the stairs with 1 switchback full and it was only running 1 train (about a 30 minute wait). I came back later in the day and it was a walk on (and yes, I agree it needs a little bit of work this off season).

Something really funny happened on River Rampage. We came up to the waterfall and it turned off, our boat passed 1/2 under the waterfall when it suddenly turned back on and soaked half the boat. Needless to say, the girl that it soaked wasn't too happy about it.

This happens on Rampage a lot actually.. when they have all the rafts on the ride, someone almost always gets stuck under the falls for a couple minutes while they Re unloading the rafts up front.. the falls comes on/off the entire time they are under them haha

As for the low attendance comment not going to allow a big project for 2018, I don't know if I find that true.. Dollywood will want to help the entire area and what better way than to get National coverage again due to a big ride, new area, or something like that? It'll help both Dollyood and the area.. even if they announced something big that won't be done until 2019, it will get National Attention

Oh no, please don't close Blazing Fury! What else is even old enough to close? Unless they redo and make a modern blazing fury (but they have spent so much money on it recently)

Maybe a larger rampage? I doubt it.. put a giant swing (like the skyscreamers) in the fair area? What would they close?

Maybe, if the rumor you heard is true, they aren't closing a ride but closing a building! The mansion over the mine.. it has opened from time to time for different things.. this would fit into the signs we have seen and older rumors.

I mean, they wouldn't trash Tornado for something new would they?

Final thing on my mind are the cars beside LR (not that rumor again) or maybe Slidewinder

But really, if they plan to make a new area like they mentioned four or five years ago, why close a ride? Most of their rides are fairly popular haha

Any ideas what it might be? Could be something over at Splash Country?

Maybe trash LR and start over!!! Hahaha JK on that part

Edited by dstephe9

Oh good! Well since everyone is like RMC Cyclone at six flags with it closing let me start the RMC Thunderhead! Even though I really hope it doesn't happen. I like Thunderhead the way it is haha

Hmmm, maybe we'll find out something Friday? I really can't think of any rides really to be honest. River Battle I have done once and the rest of the times I just pass it up just because there's a thing as too wet and that's one of them haha plus it took so much effort to crank the things and to get the targets to work half the time. So let's see.. here's all of their rides and you all can look and think what's wrong/which one could be up for close.

Thunderhead

Drop Line

Mystery Mine

River Battle

Fire Chaser

Wild Eagle

Tennessee Tornado

Blazing Fury

Daredevil Falls

Barnstormer

Mountain Slidewinder

Smoky Mountain River Rampage