TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 771: Onsite employee housing under construction at Dollywood

Well, we are feeling better today, and just got off LR... and holy shit. I take back everything I said before. . . This thing is balls out crazy!!! I can't wait to do it again!!

Lol, this f***ing guy...

First a no-detail review that LR sucks and isn't a top-20 coaster. And then a no-detail review that he takes everything back? Yeah, ok dude... Let me guess, having a VIP tour today was imperative for your enjoyment? Can't handle those awful GP?

Well, we are feeling better today, and just got off LR... and holy shit. I take back everything I said before. . . This thing is balls out crazy!!! I can't wait to do it again!!

Woohoo! Is today your last day there or are you going to get to experience the awesomeness tomorrow too?

Lol, this f***ing guy...

First a no-detail review that LR sucks and isn't a top-20 coaster. And then a no-detail review that he takes everything back? Yeah, ok dude... Let me guess, having a VIP tour today was imperative for your enjoyment? Can't handle those awful GP?

Or... maybe I've been busy enjoying the park??

There will be more details, and answers to questions when I make it back to the hotel tonight.

^ The same thing (kind of) happened to me when I first rode GateKeeper at Cedar Point, CoasterMania! morning.

We had to wake up around 5am-ish to get to registration and ERT, starting around 6:30am. No food, don't even remember

having a coffee or anything to drink, and then we got on GK. I felt ill, almost to the point of being really sick, and getting

a headache, too. I really didn't want to ride it again. Period. Then, on our final day there, having eaten, relaxed, gone thru

CM! Day, and a day off from the park (the Sunday), the Monday morning fog provided an AWESOME ride on GK!

Surprise, surprise!

So, yeah that first day (and first coaster rides) at any park can be "not great" as you thought it might be. Some times,

one's well being and physical health needs to be rested, fed, and relaxed enough to take on coasters like these.

Lol, this f***ing guy...

There will be more details, and answers to questions when I make it back to the hotel tonight.

Why post anything if you're "busy enjoying your day?" We're not on the edges of our seats...

I'm just pointing out how obnoxious it is to post two contradicting, wishy-washy opinions with no reasons for either. You ride it once, say it's crap, ride it again, say it's amazing... Nobody needs the play-by-play of how your opinion is changing in real time. How about you digest the ride a little bit before spewing half-baked, non-explained opinions?

Lol, this f***ing guy...

Why post anything if you're "busy enjoying your day?" We're not on the edges of our seats...

I'm just pointing out how obnoxious it is to post two contradicting, wishy-washy opinions with no reasons for either. You ride it once, say it's crap, ride it again, say it's amazing... Nobody needs the play-by-play of how your opinion is changing in real time. How about you digest the ride a little bit before spewing half-baked, non-explained opinions?

I don't think we need details on the thought process for that initial "review" of Lightning Rod. I think while chickenbowl could be a little less brash in his posts, he has hit the nail on the head. Let's move on and not start a flame fest about this.

Edited by ernierocker

It's amazing how much being sick and tired can take the fun out of a roller coaster. I've had it happen to me before too.

Same. So many factors can go into your enjoyment of rides.

That said, I'm shocked to see Chicken offended by something again. This time it's someone posting an opinion.

I'll discontinue the sass, Ernie.

Side note - I'm very happy that LR has been operating seemingly consistent for the past week. I find it hilarious that the boards quiet way down when the coaster's actually running! I'm sending them good vibes to keep that incredible coaster operating!

Side note - I'm very happy that LR has been operating seemingly consistent for the past week. I find it hilarious that the boards quiet way down when the coaster's actually running!

....running with one train is not what I consider consistent or reliable.....I hope they will work out all the kinks soon......

Side note - I'm very happy that LR has been operating seemingly consistent for the past week. I find it hilarious that the boards quiet way down when the coaster's actually running!

....running with one train is not what I consider consistent or reliable.....I hope they will work out all the kinks soon......

Running one train clearly improves reliability right now. Running two trains at this point would most likely cut the reliability in half, negating the benefits of speedier waits. I'm sure they'll get it there eventually, but at least people actually have somewhat of a chance.

It's only been closed for 25 minutes out of the entire day... that's a LOT more than can be said when they were consistently running two trains....

Just throwing this out there... But Dollywood really is an amazing park!!!

Having SDC as my home park, and frequenting it often then coming here is werid!!! It's like having one of those weird coaster dreams where you know that you're at SDC but nothing is lining up the way it would if you were actually in the park!! . . . Yeah, same thing with Dollywood. "It's like, oh, hey, I'm at SDC!! Oh, wait. . . No, if this were SDC that building would be over here instead..."

Make sense?? Hmmm... I hope so. It made more sense in my mind...

EDIT: Turns out my phone auto-corrects SDC to SEX!!! That post was really confusing at first.

EDIT: Turns out my phone auto-corrects SDC to SEX!!! That post was really confusing at first.

Best thing I've read all day.

I get what you're saying too. Dollywood is so similar in some respects, and so different in others, that it kind of messed with my mind. Like I was in a place that I subconsciously felt I should already be familiar with.

Okay, so finally made it back to the hotel after a great time at the park. . . The main thing I'm going to talk about in this post is Lightning Rod, there will be a separate TR in a different thread for the rest of the park.

Day 1:

So day one, we arrived later in the afternoon/evening, and of course headed straight for Lightning Rod since it was actually open!! Long story short, by the time we got into the front row of Lightning Rod, we both had pretty severe headaches, we were killer thirsty, exhausted, slightly annoyed, and just overall not in a good mood. We took a lap on the coaster, and we were left thinking... "Meh... that was it??" Okay, yeah, next please. . . Needless to say, we were rather underwhelmed, and didn't care for the coaster. We thought it was rough as hell (which we now blame on the headache.) You know how when you have a killer headache every tiny little vibration is like someone taking a jackhammer to your head?? Yeah, that's how LR was our first go. We were one and done that day.

Day 2:

Having learned our lesson the hard way on day one... We decided to make sure we were well taken care of before heading to the park today, and WOW what a world of difference it made. We took a ride on LR, and we were blown away. Obviously it is not a rough coaster, it's an amazing coaster. Everywhere we left "meh" and underwhelmed yesterday BLEW us away today. HOLY F**KING SH!T that ride is insane!! It seriously doesn't let up from start to finish. The launch is CRAZY!! It seems to go on for ever! It sure seems a lot larger when you are on the coaster than it does from the ground. The first 2 Dolly humps are amazing, and that first drop The airtime is INSANE on this coaster, and that quad-down might just be my favorite coaster element ever!!!

To those of you who have Dollywood as your home park... I hate you!! You all are so lucky to have such a beautiful park, with such friendly employees, and such a great coaster lineup! Again, there will be a more detailed photo TR for you all at a later point, just wanted to explain how LR went from a "meh" coaster, to an AMAZING coaster!"

It's been closed for the past few hours, I got here kind of late.. not sure if it's ran any today or not

We got in line at 6:20pm and it was running fine, I checked the app religiously the whole drive down here and it was operating consistently. Unfortunately we were 3/4 of the way thru the queue and at 6:41 it went down. I know this because I was texting a family member a video of what ended up being the last train of the night, not because I have a LR journal like Rainman does for Wapner haha. Some worker went onto the brake run and looked at something right away. They announced 15 mins later that it'd be at least a 20-30 min delay but we were welcome to wait it out. We bailed and 50 mins later they updated it to CD.

Maybe I've spent too much time at Cedar Point where they'll work up to the minute the park closes and sometimes even after that to try to get a ride back up and running... but I don't understand this "ride went down Bob, what should we do?" "Well it's almost the evening, it ran most of the day kinda sorta so let's just close it up til tomorrow and call it good" stuff. Tomorrow is a new day and I hope they can get it running! Mystery Mine is a trip and Thunderhead was a surprise hit for us.

Yeah, that doesn't sound good. Hopefully it opens up today for you. Fingers crossed...

You worked your magic because it opened a few mins ago. We waited out front while they tested for over an hour and then were on the 3rd train row 7! WOW!!!! The overbanks are insane with airtime that defies understanding and the quad down is glorious. Got the Time Saver unlimited now so we can basically marathon it (and Mystery Mine lol which we loved) all day.

Glad to hear it!!

Glad you liked Mystery Mine too. Despite the bitching from the enthusiast community I think that ride is spectacular. Anyone who thinks it's rough is a complete bitch.

PS: Don't forget to get the Cinnamon Bread from the Grist mill while you're there. Plan on there being a line, but there's a reason.

You've just got to get lucky with it. A lot of times they just run out of bread and you have to wait while they bake more. The last 2 times we visited the longest line of the day was for Cinnamon Bread at the end of the night (about 30 minutes both times).