TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I was thinking trolley system to but feel its very early to be building the trolly system. Still about 9 - 10 months before dreammore opens. I feel whatever they are building is bigger than a trolley system BC of how early it is but that's just me

A parking lot and trolley system would be able to be built in about a month even if they would need a building of some type for tickets and what not. (They might just be trying to beat the cold weather but even for that I feel its early)

• 3 weeks later...

I was there Sunday as well but I still feel that it is a giant giant area for a tram shed for dream more. Not only that but it is being leveled out at different "levels" and they are cutting out side of the mountain. The cut outs look exactly like the cutouts beside tornado. Plus they are paving the road behind firchaser express which is heading the direction of the clearing work.

It could be a tram station but if that's the case, its going to have a bigger area than the normal ticket windows hahaha

BTW as a heads up they are still having bee and wasp problems. Eagle was down from 1ish until about 445 due to wasp

Just a heads up to people traveling this time of year

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the ride operations are like during Christmas Time at Dollywood? I'll be working in Pigeon Forge for a couple of weeks in December and want to try and visit the park while I'm there.

Aside from some cold weather temperature restrictions. Operations are pretty much normal. It usually isn't an issue anyway as the majority of people are there for the shows and lights. If you have any concerns, get a Q2Q. They are very modestly priced at Dwood. And you can get reserved seating for the shows as well with it.

We went to Dollywood for the first time last December and have decided to make it an annual tradition. It's awesome. Keep a close eye on the temperature though. The coasters won't open if it's below 40 degrees and close when it gets down to 35 or 36 (I forget which) degrees. We got lucky last year and it got up to 45 during the day and never got below 39 at night.

Dolly’s dream house tops out

Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort to open next summer

By J.H. OSBORNE

PIGEON FORGE — Reservations for Dollywood’s first ever on-site hotel, the 307-room DreamMore Resort, will begin being offered in mid-January, Dollywood Vice President of Hospitality Amy Owenby said We d n e s d a y.

Scheduled to open next summer, DreamMore Resort includes nine room types, a restaurant, a salon and spa, and indoor and outdoor swimming pools. The exact opening date has not been announced.

The resort is the second project in a $300 million, 10-year capital investment plan which Dollywood Co. President Craig Ross said aims to take Dollywood from a successful regional theme park to a national destination

The first project from that plan, the family-friendly coaster FireChaser Express, opened at Dollywood in March.

Ross credited its popularity with helping Dollywood be “on track” (pun intended), despite rainy weather, to meet its growth goals for this operating season.

“We’re having a very good year,” Ross said.

Wednesday marked a special point in DreamMore’s development, as construction crews placed the final spire atop the hotel’s entrance tower.

Attention now will focus inward as construction continues on the property’s guest rooms and “family-friendly” public areas.

“This is big step, but it’s not the final step,” Ross said, adding that the hotel maintains Dolly Parton’s vision for the park and commitment to spurring local economic growth.

Ross said surveys of potential vacationers revealed a significant segment of the market who said they would be far more likely to visit the area if Dollywood offered on-site lodging.

Ross said it is The Dollywood Co.’s intent and belief that growth for itself means growth for other businesses and attractions in the community and region.

According to information released last year, when the $300 million plan was announced, an independent economic impact study projected Dollywood and its hospitality investments will add $150 million annually to the local economy, more than $7 million in state and local taxes will be generated by the company’s investments over the 10-year period — and approximately 2,500 jobs will be created, primarily in the hospitality and construction industries, due to the addition of the DreamMore Resort.

The hotel will open next year, as Dollywood celebrates its 30th season — and there will be more big news, Ross said.

“We’re very busy behind closed doors,” Ross said. “To plan what we will announce next year as one of the biggest single attraction additions in our 30-year history for 2016. I can’t share details, but can tell you plans are underway.”

DreamMore Resort is located on a 100-acre plot just north of Dollywood’s Splash Country water park.

At Wednesday’s “topping out” ceremony — attended by company officials and some of the more than 200 construction workers who have been working on the resort —Owenby introduced the first two members of the resort’s staff.

Kevin Osborn is general manager of Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort, after spending many years in leadership roles within Marriott International. Cordelia Marzak, a Rogersville native, is director of sales and marketing. Marzak comes to Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort from JHM Hotels in Orlando.

“With the addition of Kevin and Cordelia and their exceptional knowledge of the resort industry, we continue to position Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort as a premier family destination,” said Owenby. “Kevin’s varied experiences within leading hotels in the industry offer him a unique vantage point of how to best serve and entertain Dollywood’s future resort guests. His expertise will provide us with a strong foundation as we move closer to opening our first resort.”

“Cordelia dreamed of one day being able to come home to work at a world-class resort,” Owenby said. “As a native of East Tennessee, she understands the distinctive features of this region which make it such an attractive vacation option for families. The knowledge she has gained during her career will serve us well as we develop Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort into the world-class destination in which she always dreamed of working.”

The hotel will open next year, as Dollywood celebrates its 30th season — and there will be more big news, Ross said.

“We’re very busy behind closed doors,” Ross said. “To plan what we will announce next year as one of the biggest single attraction additions in our 30-year history for 2016. I can’t share details, but can tell you plans are underway.”

Good lord, here we go again. Huge coaster, huge dark ride, or something else entirely? Whatever it is, it's definitely time to get excited. DW always delivers when they make these statements.

My bet is on a dark ride with potentially some coaster elements. Of course they already have Blazing Fury, but a modern variant would be very useful as well. These types of rides are poised to become the next big thing for larger parks. They are an element that can and should be utilized to set apart the top tier parks from the regional ride parks.

^I'm excited as well. I would keep an eye on how much land they clear/grade over by the current bus drop-off area. That would be a good location for a signature attraction I think especially if they are adding a special entrance for resort guests.

I'm not so sure about a RMC. Dollywood has invested in rides that are completely different from any other park. For example, Wild Eagle was the first wing coaster in America, and FCE was an extremely unique family coaster. I think in 2016 we are going to see something different.

A Mega-Lite would be perfect for the park!

No. I honestly think that it will just be something with the new hotel, however I would like for it to be a coaster. The small chance that it is a coaster, That would be cool if it was similar to Storm Runner, yes I know FireChaser is a launched coaster but a bigger launched coaster like SR would be perfect. Imagine SR at DWood. Going through the Forrest on the mountain would be delicious.

This will clearly be a roller coaster. I mean. Wild Eagle had a price tag of twenty million dollars. What other type of SINGLE attraction could they add for >$20m that wouldn't be a coaster?

I'd expect this thing to be closer to the front of the park than the back. Between Firechaser Express and Wild Eagle, the back has it's coasters covered (Tennessee Tornado, too). I'd expect it up front. B&M Hyper anyone?

^Aww Hell no.

Where would they fit a B&M Hyper? If they are building a coaster it would have to be quite compact, B&M Hyper's, anyway you build them, are not compact...Plus they are building a Giga coaster at a park just 3 hours east that already has a Hyper coaster, the competition just wouldn't match up in that category.

EDIT: if it is a coaster, I would also expect it towards the front of the park, however it would have to be VERY, and I mean VERY compact for a big coaster anywhere in the park.

This will clearly be a roller coaster. I mean. Wild Eagle had a price tag of twenty million dollars. What other type of SINGLE attraction could they add for >$20m that wouldn't be a coaster?

So the article said that it was going to be "one of the biggest single attraction additions in our 30-year history" So I'm not sure that means that the attraction would cost more than $20m, it just might be a really big attraction with a large footprint.