TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you. This is making me feel better. The second I heard Elitch was gonna close I knew I had to plan a trip. With Lakeside being so close I figure I should visit. Wild Chipmunk looks so bad that its good

If you want to hit both parks in one day, I would recommend:

1. Fly into DIA and arrive about 8 - 9 am.

2. Take the "A" train to Union Station, about 40 min / $10.50

3. Walk approx. 1 mile to Elitch Gardens and stay until bored

4. Uber to Lakeside (approx. 5 miles each way from downtown)

5. Uber to Union Station when finished with Lakeside

6. Take "A" train back to the airport from Union Station

The light rail train is nice, clean, picks up at the airport, and runs past midnight. You can get discount tickets online for Elitch at their website. Groupon has discounts for Lakeside but you have to purchase two admissions for the discount. If you don't need two Lakeside admission tickets, you might as well pay at the gate as it is not that expensive. I would plan to eat at the airport or downtown. There is nothing really edible within walking distance of Lakeside.

This is the schedule for the train that runs from the airport to downtown:

www3.rtd-denver.com/schedules/getSchedule.action?routeType=32&routeId=A&serviceType=4

• 9 months later...

Just a quick thought on the closure/relocation of Elitch Gardens: I think a relocation is more likely than a straight up closure. I feel like Coasterbill is going to say something snarky about this if he finds this. Elitch recently posted a video about "getting through this together" like a lot of parks are doing on Facebook. Just the "we've been making fun memories for the past 130 years and we look forward to making more fun memories for the next 130 years." It just seems like a park on the verge of closing wouldn't say anything such as that. Plus, Elitch is still a well-loved park for the general public: it has consistently drawn in about 1.1 million visitors each year. It did peak at 1.5 million at the beginning of the 2000's, but then it dropped to 1 million in the mid 2000's before staying consistent at 1.1 million since. Given that the population of the Denver metro area is only 717,796 (not including surrounding neighborhoods), it should seem pretty substantial that they can pull such attendance numbers. My last thought is that they aren't choosing to leave that location. It's not like how Six Flags sold the land under Astroworld before closing. Since the government is taking the land, Elitch Gardens will be getting financial compensation. Maybe they will throw in the towel, but I do believe that another move is in the park's future.

I've always enjoyed the park, even though there aren't any standout attractions. The past three generations have travelled to Denver for family vacations and Elitch has always been a tradition. It was incredibly seedy in the 2000's, but we've enjoyed our visits throughout the 2010's.

Just a quick thought on the closure/relocation of Elitch Gardens: I think a relocation is more likely than a straight up closure. I feel like Coasterbill is going to say something snarky about this if he finds this. Elitch recently posted a video about "getting through this together" like a lot of parks are doing on Facebook. Just the "we've been making fun memories for the past 130 years and we look forward to making more fun memories for the next 130 years." It just seems like a park on the verge of closing wouldn't say anything such as that. Plus, Elitch is still a well-loved park for the general public: it has consistently drawn in about 1.1 million visitors each year. It did peak at 1.5 million at the beginning of the 2000's, but then it dropped to 1 million in the mid 2000's before staying consistent at 1.1 million since. Given that the population of the Denver metro area is only 717,796 (not including surrounding neighborhoods), it should seem pretty substantial that they can pull such attendance numbers. My last thought is that they aren't choosing to leave that location. It's not like how Six Flags sold the land under Astroworld before closing. Since the government is taking the land, Elitch Gardens will be getting financial compensation. Maybe they will throw in the towel, but I do believe that another move is in the park's future.

I've always enjoyed the park, even though there aren't any standout attractions. The past three generations have travelled to Denver for family vacations and Elitch has always been a tradition. It was incredibly seedy in the 2000's, but we've enjoyed our visits throughout the 2010's.

The government isn't taking the land from Elitch. Kroenke and Revesco purchased the park in 2015 and have been talking about turning the land into residential units since their purchase of the property. Both companies hold several investments and Elitch is the only amusement park, so they let Premier run it for them until they could shut it down. If It was a sports team, Kroenke might keep it but he doesn't seem to care about amusement parks. Who knows, maybe it will move to Los Angeles?

I liked my visit to Lakeside and Elitch. Sadly Half Pipe and Sidewinder were closed at Elitch. I loved the views of the city and mountains. I had said somewhere else I wouldn't mind seeing Elitch and Lakeside merge into one park if Elitch looses its land its on. Take the best of both parks and make one awesome park on the lake!

• 3 months later...

Not surprising, WaterWorld didn't open either. Only park that is open in the state is Glenwood Caverns.