TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Boy falls from Triple Hurricane (Cypress Gardens)

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060225/BREAKING/60225014

WINTER HAVEN -- A boy fell off the Triple Hurricane roller coaster at Cypress Gardens Saturday night and was airlifted to St. Joseph's Children's Hospital in Tampa with multiple injuries, according to a Cypress Gardens spokeswoman.

The boy fell from a height of about 15 feet, said spokeswoman Lynn Wright.

Wright said she did not know if the boy's injuries were life-threatening. The boy is described as between 12 and 15-years old. No further information on his identity or condition was released by the park or emergency personnel.

The incident happened around 6 p.m.

It's not yet known how the boy fell off the wooden roller coaster.

``All indications are there was no malfunction with the ride,'' Wright said in a written statement. ``The restraint in the seat the boy was in was still down and locked when the ride came to a stop.''

The park has notified the state Bureau of Fair Rides, and the ride has been temporarily closed pending the conclusion of their investigation.

Cypress Gardens C.E.O. Kent Buescher released a statement, saying, ``The safety and enjoyment of our guests is always our primary concern. All rides at the park are thoroughly inspected and tested on a daily basis to ensure they are operating correctly, and we do everything possible to ensure that our guests comply with safety protocols. Our thoughts and prayers are with the young man and his family.''

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really strange that the restraint was still locked when it came back into the station. I would guess that this kid was probably trying to get out of the restraint. That's usually how these things happen. But I really don't understand how he could have been thrown completely over the rail along the track to land on the ground.

As soon as I saw this story I said "standing up". Thats gonna have to be my final answer on this one. Now, if he was standing up because he wanted to get an extra thrill or if he was just scared I don't know, but judging from his age and the fact that no one else was riding with him, I'm going with extra thrill. Now he's in the hospital, hopefully that'll learn him!

I will also agree with the idiot part. Watching that Video and reading the Lap bar was locked still he had to of been doing something really stupid. I feel bad for the fact he's in the Hospital and hope he's ok. It's idiots like this that are causing all the up roar on ride regulation safety. These rides are safe no matter what engineers do to make them fool proof their will be some moron out there that will figure it out and hurt themselves. Parks should do a maturity test on top of the height restrictions. It's getting out of hand with people trying to be "cool".

Jeez, that ride is tiny. If the ride didn't malfunction, then there can only be one possible answer.

Can we have a ban on stupid people riding coasters in Florida until after I've visited? I'd actually like to ride these coasters, not watch the Florida CSI team!

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- A state agency reports that an inspection Sunday uncovered no problems with the Cyprus Gardens roller coaster from which an Orlando boy fell.

Officials said 13-year-old Martin Llamas remains in intensive care at St. Joseph's Children's Hospital in Tampa. He was airlifted there Saturday after falling from the Triple Hurricane roller coaster at the Polk County theme park. Hospital officials did not comment on his injuries.

Carrie Rogers, a spokeswoman for the Polk County Sheriff's Office, said the fall appears to be a tragic accident. A preliminary investigation shows that Llamas came out of the car, went over the rail and dropped about 10 or 12 feet onto grass.

She said an investigation into the fall is ongoing.

The boy's family could not be reached for comment.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

From

http://www.wesh.com/news/7475934/detail.html

^ Wow, thats a new way to spell Cypress!!! Yeah Im guessing that the kid was being a dumbass and decided it would be cool to stand up on the coaster (maybe thinking it was small enough that nothing would happen). But did anyone else catch that his last name is Llamas?

Colin"haha llamas..."C

^ Wow, thats a new way to spell Cypress!!!

They were probably thinking it was named after the island, and not the tree (dumbasses!)

I'm with Tom, even if the woodie is kind of lame, it's still a woodie and I hope its open next month.

If it does turn out that the kid decided to disobey the rules, it's proof if proof be needed that no ride is safe from the most unpredictable element on any thrill machine - the people who ride.