TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Punxsutawney Phil Catches His Shadow

ParkTrips

via Fox News

PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. — Don't put those winter coats away just yet.

The world's most famous weather prognosticating groundhog was roused from his burrow at 7:23 a.m. Thursday and saw his shadow, a sign that there'll be six more weeks of winter.

And though the crowds booed, hundreds were rowdy anyway, dressed in black and gold and swirling Pittsburgh Steelers Terrible Towels in the air in anticipation of Sunday's Super Bowl.

Phil even got in on the Steelers frenzy, with his handlers draping a Terrible Towel over him as he emerged. Earlier, members of the groudhog's famed Inner Circle threw the trademark towels at the crowds as they sang "Here we go Steelers."

Each Feb. 2, thousands of people descend on Punxsutawney, a town of about 6,100 people located about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, for a little midwinter revelry, celebrating what had essentially been a German superstition.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I threw a witch into the river and she floated for five seconds before she drowned, therefore we will have three more weeks of snow before the giant round orb in the sky wakes up and we must sacrifice a virgin to appease it.

via Fox News

PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. — Don't put those winter coats away just yet.

The world's most famous weather prognosticating groundhog was roused from his burrow at 7:23 a.m. Thursday and saw his shadow, a sign that there'll be six more weeks of winter.

And though the crowds booed, hundreds were rowdy anyway, dressed in black and gold and swirling Pittsburgh Steelers Terrible Towels in the air in anticipation of Sunday's Super Bowl.

Phil even got in on the Steelers frenzy, with his handlers draping a Terrible Towel over him as he emerged. Earlier, members of the groudhog's famed Inner Circle threw the trademark towels at the crowds as they sang "Here we go Steelers."

Each Feb. 2, thousands of people descend on Punxsutawney, a town of about 6,100 people located about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, for a little midwinter revelry, celebrating what had essentially been a German superstition.

I love Groundhog Day. And not just for the awesome Bill Murray film.

So in other words, it's gonna be cold for 6 more weeks until I touch down in Florida!

-Tom "Bringing the sunshine on March 16" Hardwick. 8)

Well, it's Groundhog's Day . . . Again. And here in Oregon, if Phil saw his shadow, it's because there was a break in the rain clouds. So far this winter has seen some flooding and I keep expecting to get a call from my Guard unit to start filling sand bags. I guess the weather is making up for the lack of rain last winter.

Am I the only one who thinks that Groundhogs day is the lamest excuse for a holiday? Doesn't spring always start on March 20th anyways? Why does it even matter what some little rodent says? I don't get it.

No, I think it's perfectly reasonable that in modern society, with Doppler Raders and meteorlogical databases, that we let a rodent prognosticate our seasonal changes.

Its always confused me, if you can see your shadow, that means the sun is out, meaning its NOT snowing etc. Shouldn't that mean its gonna be nice??

Oh well, 6 more weeks of the winter PA's had so far I can handle, as its in the 50s right now and I don't think I've seen a measurable amount of snow yet this year.

i once saw a groundhog on tv. it was so spoiled, it had its own room and everything! anyway, the ground hog is a spoiled brat. the lady took him out with ginormous gloves on. the groundhog came out and started trying to rip the lady to shreds with its big sharp teeth. the lady looked like she was in pain, even with the gloves on. then what was so very shocking is she said ''oh he loves to chew on my fingers! oh he is soooo CUTE!!''. anyway, i thought it was funny how the ground hog wanted the lady to die, but the lady loved her groundhog so much. then again, i do see people like that with their dogs walking on the trail near my house everyday.

anyway that didnt have much to do with groundhog day, i just wanted to share that stroy.

''oh he wont hurt you! he would NEVER want to do a thing like that!''

*dog growling trying to get off the leash to kill you*

And to all the Canadians here in the bunch - let it be known, that the two of "our local celebrity rodents" up here in The Northern Country have both proclaimed in the f-ing way they're supposed to do it....

(And you try and remember their names, hmmm?)

We here in The Land of Maple Syrup - get an EARLY SPRING ! I swear it's the total opposite of what the US rodents all "predicted."

Hah.

So, y'all c'mon up where it's wahm up north, y'heah?