TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

As small as the coaster is, I don't see any problems with them doing the building first and the track second. I'm pretty sure they did Dark Knight that way, and I imagine that this ride was probably broken down into a similar number of pieces as a wild mouse comes from the factory as.

• 2 weeks later...

So what is currently happening with the coaster? Is it still just sitting there? Are they still waiting for the new trains? Or are they testing? It just seems wierd how there has been no word about it for the last 2 months.

So what is currently happening with the coaster? Is it still just sitting there? Are they still waiting for the new trains? Or are they testing? It just seems wierd how there has been no word about it for the last 2 months.

Nothing, they're just continuing to let their incompetence shine through.

It's sitting. I've been there three times this season and I haven't seen any testing going on. The new chassis that they got last November are sitting on the track covered up. I don't think there are any bodies on any of them, but it's hard to tell.

Nothing, they're just continuing to let their incompetence shine through.

I may be incorrect, but I'm pretty sure they're trying something that was done many many decades ago, with little information of the originals to be gleaned. I may be incorrect again, but none of them are even still around and I'm sure Knoebels would enjoy something that they've put a lot of time and work into to last a long time.

How exactly are they incompetent? They have gotten a one-of-a-kind ride that hasn't been built since the 1930's built. They're currently trying new things to make sure it won't damage itself. If they were incompetent it would have opened years ago with shoddy construction and trains, damaging the ride and possibly becoming a hazard with a short life.

As I think has been said before in this thread it's more a question of economic funding rather than knowledge. Developing new (or re-inventing) technology isn't exactly cheap and Knoeble's is a family operated park with limited fundings.

I might be wrong though...

Sorry about the delay in the update but there was'nt any progress last week because of the holiday weekend. But I'm back with more, the roof trusses are finally up and should be undercover by the end of the week.

That's it for this week

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this just comes from living in California, but is anyone else surprised that the whole building structure is wood? You just don't see any sort of public structure without some sort of steel frame out here.

^I have also been wondering about that, but if the track has it's own support system in most places then the building itself won't have all that much to hold up. It is interesting that they would choose to build with all flammable materials though. It'll definitely be interesting to see how it comes together.

I stopped at Knoebels last night on the way home from Coaster Con and managed to get some pics of the construction. They have installed alot of track so far and it is starting to look like a coaster.Enjoy!

They have the track installed on the 3rd floor

closer shot

You can see in this pic where its going to make the drop down floors

more track in piles

This section must be where you load and unload the train

While I'm definitely a bit bummed with how long it has taken for Knoebels to open the Flying Turns, I can understand because it is a project that has not been done for many years. Besides, I would much rather Knoebels take additional time to create a superior final project rather than a rushed project. Plus, if Knoebels had rushed and opened the ride early and then had these issues, it would probably be even more frustrating because of the frequent downtime that it would be plagued by.

As for the Black Diamond, I'm shocked at how quickly construction has gone thus far. I'm thrilled Knoebels has rescued yet another classic coaster.

When I was there yesterday they seemed to have the next generation cars sitting on the brake run. They didn't have any seats to them, but it doesn't seems like it would take much to finish the ride up.

As for BD, I didn't get a good look at it, but the new roof looks great!