TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Yesterday, I had lunch in the back room of the Flash Pass office and received a Guest question on my way out. They had been on American Thunder & Mr. Freeze so far that day and, as frequent visitors to the park, were wondering why the coasters were only running one train. As the off season is a lot shorter this year, they have already had to start rehabbing some trains. As this is something most people wouldn't think about, I wanted to share it here so that nobody is surprised if a certain ride is only running one train.

The single problem that I see only concerns one ride. After having most of the regular season to work on it, there is absolutely no reason why Boomerang should be at one train. Even though it isn't scheduled to be open as part of the regular HIP ride line up, I feel like the park can do better. Oh well, maybe next year...

I'm probably over simplifying things but to me it makes sense.

I doubt that they are completely done with the rehabs for Boss, Eagle and half of Panda's carts. To me it would make more sense to get those done and then progressively reduce capacity on the other coasters as you progress through off season maintenance. Get a ride that's not open done and then move on and grab a train from an open one. Not start at reduced across the board from the start. I get that this is a learning process and I'm sure future seasons will be tweaked.

In regards to Pandamonium its all comes down to efficiency. Its more efficient to pull multiple cars at once since you already have a crane and forklift at the ride rather than pull one car and drive everything down the hill just to drive it back up again in a week. The time that would be spent moving equipment and removing cars is far better spent rebuilding them.

For the other coasters it comes down to how they are rebuilt. What is usually done is one car from each train is pulled then stripped down and rebuilt. Doing this makes it easier to keep track of parts such as where they came from, where they go, whats new, and whats old. Also it allows them to work on multiple trains at the same time.

You basically reinforced what I said - that they could get the closed rides completed and then (and only then) start reducing capacity on the other rides.

Yesterday, I had lunch in the back room of the Flash Pass office and received a Guest question on my way out. They had been on American Thunder & Mr. Freeze so far that day and, as frequent visitors to the park, were wondering why the coasters were only running one train. As the off season is a lot shorter this year, they have already had to start rehabbing some trains. As this is something most people wouldn't think about, I wanted to share it here so that nobody is surprised if a certain ride is only running one train.

The single problem that I see only concerns one ride. After having most of the regular season to work on it, there is absolutely no reason why Boomerang should be at one train. Even though it isn't scheduled to be open as part of the regular HIP ride line up, I feel like the park can do better. Oh well, maybe next year...

I'm probably over simplifying things but to me it makes sense.

I doubt that they are completely done with the rehabs for Boss, Eagle and half of Panda's carts. To me it would make more sense to get those done and then progressively reduce capacity on the other coasters as you progress through off season maintenance. Get a ride that's not open done and then move on and grab a train from an open one. Not start at reduced across the board from the start. I get that this is a learning process and I'm sure future seasons will be tweaked.

In regards to Pandamonium its all comes down to efficiency. Its more efficient to pull multiple cars at once since you already have a crane and forklift at the ride rather than pull one car and drive everything down the hill just to drive it back up again in a week. The time that would be spent moving equipment and removing cars is far better spent rebuilding them.

For the other coasters it comes down to how they are rebuilt. What is usually done is one car from each train is pulled then stripped down and rebuilt. Doing this makes it easier to keep track of parts such as where they came from, where they go, whats new, and whats old. Also it allows them to work on multiple trains at the same time.

You basically reinforced what I said - that they could get the closed rides completed and then (and only then) start reducing capacity on the other rides.

Not really. They work one car at a time and can do several types at a time. Delaying the start of work means working in a less than efficient way and shrinking the time frame you have to work the open coasters by over a month.

No, no I didn't. Allow me to explain it in a simpler way. The mechanics take one car from Batman, Freeze, Pandamonium, American Thunder, Ninja, Boss, Eagle and Mine Train and move it into the shop. That car is rebuilt then moved back out and another car is moved in. This keeps the same mechanics working on the same cars which allows consistency and they will get faster as they go on. By only doing one car at a time it prevents moving certian components from one part of the train to another. For example thats say hypothetically that train 1 car 3 on Batman has been going through road wheels slightly more than the other cars on the right handside. If the train is rebuilt and that wheel assembly stays on that car on that side and the issue persists then it needs to be looked ito farther. If you tool the entire train apart then that wheel assembly is not necessarily going to go back in the same place and end up on car 6. This adds more variables in terms of troubleshooting. The current method they are using also almost guarantees that each coaster has one train on opening day. Your method would only work if the rebuilds went off with out a hitch. If a problem did arise one or more coasters would be without a train on opening day.

So only one-two maintenance person works on a single ride? They're not cross-trained on rides? That makes zero sense to spread your crew a mile wide and an inch thick. Perhaps they need to change their practices because seriously what I described makes a lot more sense but whatever time to move on to another topic.

Too bad Flyers can't run on The Boss without major changes. It would allow more to stay in rotation for HITP. Not that it'd be the primary reason for wanting them on The Boss.

I'd rather see them put RMC trains on the Boss. On top of Iron Horse I-Box track. RMC. RMC Boss. Yes. I'd rather see that than Flyers on The Boss

So only one-two maintenance person works on a single ride? They're not cross-trained on rides? That makes zero sense to spread your crew a mile wide and an inch thick. Perhaps they need to change their practices because seriously what I described makes a lot more sense but whatever time to move on to another topic.

*Facepalm* Not what I said, yet again. I'm going out on limb and saying that you have clearly never worked in maintenance at capacity nor have been involved in the disassembly and reassembly of a machine. Your more of a number cruncher. To you if it makes sence on paper it must work in real life. Cool, that's fine, there are places in the industry for people like you. Maintenance isn't one of them. Let the mechanics do what they do best, there's a reason they get paid the big bucks.

Not sure why you're getting so upset. Everything you've posted so far has supported my original statement. So either you really suck at putting your thoughts into words or maybe my "number crunching" had merit. I mean #### the fact that I run logistics and work on maximizing efficiency for a living actually have merit in this situation.

But I tire of this conversation. It's obvious you're unable to put what you really mean into words if it so differs from what you've produced so far.

Too bad Flyers can't run on The Boss without major changes. It would allow more to stay in rotation for HITP. Not that it'd be the primary reason for wanting them on The Boss.

I'd rather see them put RMC trains on the Boss. On top of Iron Horse I-Box track. RMC. RMC Boss. Yes. I'd rather see that than Flyers on The Boss

In practice the two are probably just as realistic as the other.

Wow, the drizzle and rain cleared the crowd out

In practice the two are probably just as realistic as the other.

Wow, the drizzle and rain cleared the crowd out

How did food services do tonight? Had a lot of black tags working last night and some for the first time

How did food services do tonight? Had a lot of black tags working last night and some for the first time

No line at JB's and we got our food quickly. They also had ice in the Freestyle machine and a full selection of flavors. This was right after it started raining.

HITP is so much more enjoyable than FF. FF has become so huge that it's just not enjoyable anymore for someone with younger kids. Today was great and one kid got to ride Batman for the first time while my youngest got to ride Ninja and American Thunder for the first time. Very happy that they've added this to the calendar.

I went Saturday with my father and friend and had a great time, Batman was kicking absolute a$$, and I mean hauling it. The second half was insanity, it almost felt like an Intamin (except, y'know.... reliable and stuff). Freeze was a ton of fun at night. We were super surprised that Boomerang was open and had next to no wait as most people were towards the front of the park. Honestly, for my first actual boomerang (been on Invertigo at KI), it wasn't bad, but miles behind Batman. Those two rides on Batman may have it as my second favorite invert right now, everything after the loop honestly scared me with how fast it went.

Decorations were really good and the Nativity show was good with some great sounding leads but the extras were kinda awkward the lip-syncing wasn't great. (I'm a music dude so that sticks out to me)

Overall had a great time and hope I can head back one more time but it's still a 4 hour drive and I'll probably get too busy as the holiday season kicks in. Maybe after Christmas?

Ride Total:

Mr. Freeze- 3

Batman- 2 WTF rides in back

American Thunder- 1

Justice League- 1 (walked on with the single rider line)

Ninja- 2 walk-ons

Fireball- 1 (first ride on Fireball)

Boomerang- 1

I went Saturday with my father and friend and had a great time, Batman was kicking absolute a$$, and I mean hauling it. The second half was insanity, it almost felt like an Intamin

What did I tell you? Batman runs like a god damn beast during Holiday in the Park when they start swapping out wheels.

I went Saturday with my father and friend and had a great time, Batman was kicking absolute a$$, and I mean hauling it. The second half was insanity, it almost felt like an Intamin

What did I tell you? Batman runs like a god damn beast during Holiday in the Park when they start swapping out wheels.

I actually came off a roller coaster disoriented for the first time in a while, the forces are heavy as hell.

Now just imagine those wheels on Raptor or any other old school invert

It is too bad people out in Cali don't get to experience cold Batman.

Side note. I was one of four people on the entire train for The Last Ride of the night on Sunday. Even in the cold, and the wet and essentially empty it still kicked ass.

Other than some minor issues with some of the restaurants, this past weekend seemed to go very well for the parks first HIP. I did hear a lot of guests not happy that many rides were not open, but if they simply read the maps provided they would have seen that they were not meant to be open. But reading is hard... Overall it seems like a very nice environment and I'm excited to see how the rest of the event goes. I think the park might want to put signs out in front of rides only using one train to let the guest know that. Similar to what they do all summer long when rides operate at a reduced capacity, but this time on the sign educate the guest as to why they are only using one train, that way the guest doesn't just think the park doesn't want or cant have 2 train ops.

Around the park looks great, they did add a few more lights to the American Thunder area which had nothing on preview night, and a little to the batman area, which still looks incomplete and too dark. But after all this is just year one, and I'm pretty sure the event gets more product each year. I heard one person complaining that it wasn't as good as Silver Dollar City. I agree, but again, this is only year one, SDC has been adding year after year for many many years, we'll get there.

I did hear a lot of guests not happy that many rides were not open, but if they simply read the maps provided they would have seen that they were not meant to be open. But reading is hard...

THIS. Also, at this time of year the park has always been completely closed, with no rides running at all. So this is more rides running than usual. But if people can't be arsed to read, thinking is right out.

First post on TPR after a good while of lurking. Always been fascinated by coasters (theme park simulator games have always been my jam as well) despite being terrified to ride on them. I'm 32 and SFSL is my home park. Long story short, this year I finally decided to stop being a bitch and now coasters are my favorite thing ever (Screamin' Eagle was my first). Feels great to conquer a fear and come out on the other side wishing I hadn't wasted so much time being afraid. I have a season pass for this year and next and it's been a blast visiting throughout the fall. Next spring my wife and I are going to start venturing out to other parks as well to start our "Coaster list". Anyways, theres my introduction.

I attended HITP on Saturday with my daughter and even though we didn't have very long to spend, it was really nice. Great theming throughout the park. I especially loved the fire pits which gave a nice ambiance to everything with the campfire smell. You guys aren't kidding about the Batman. That thing is hauling the mail in the cold!

While I've lurked throughout the thread the past several weeks, pardon me for asking questions that have probably been gone over before but I have a friend that works construction (his company has worked in the park before) that has told me a few things he claims he's heard from people in the know. He's been known to BS a good bit before though so I take it all with a grain of sale. Are the Boomerang and the Tidal Wave getting torn down during the off-season? If so, is that where the Spinsanity is going? He also says for 2018 he's heard the Ninja is getting axed and a new coaster, probably a 4D joker, is going in its place? Any voracity to any of that? Kinda bummed if true as good lord people aren't joking about the Boss desperately needing a refurb. That thing practically concusses me and despite it having a cool layout, it's not fun because of how rough it is.

Thanks, looking forward to being active on here.

Sorry to double post, I could not edit my first one since it was my first post to the forum and therefore it needed to be moderator approved so I couldn't see it.

Anyways, I've read back a good portion of the pages and it would definitely seem as my friend has bum information.

THIS. Also, at this time of year the park has always been completely closed, with no rides running at all.

These are my thoughts as well. I don't think I've ever ridden a roller coaster in December, so I'll gladly settle for Batman and American Thunder. Josh says we're riding Mr. Freeze Wrong Way Blast, but we'll have to see about that. Seeing Mr. Freeze running the wrong way is like seeing your ex girlfriend with her new boyfriend. It will never be the same. Granted it's been eleven years since I've had an ex girlfriend, the cold sting of Freeze turning its back on me (literally) still pains me.