TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I've been to SDC Christmas event and they have closed all rides due to temperature. Is it really just a park to park practice?

Basically yes. Temperature recommendations come from the manufacturers, and every park has a slightly different temperature where they feel comfortable running their coasters based on these limits.

Herschend parks like SDC take them very seriously (losers, lol). They generally won't start a coaster until it reaches 40 degrees and then they'll run them until it gets down to 36. Cedar Fair follows the same rules. Some parks are even more careful, Busch Gardens won't run a B&M until it's 42, and Hershey for some reason has a 50 degree limit for their B&M's and Intamins because they're a complete embarrassment.

Six Flags has the proper approach to these asinine limits, which is "Oh, it's 29 degrees and windy? LOL Dispatch". They'll run coasters until they valley, valleys don't scare them. They have cherry pickers for a reason. They also never seem to close coasters at night when the temperature drops because they realize that if a coaster has been running all day then low temperatures and high winds are of no concern. The tough part is getting them running in the morning but once they're running then they can handle almost anything.

Now of course every park is different and has different rides. I can already tell you that Batman is a physics defying intensity fest that has absolutely zero interest in taking any of winter's bullsh*t now or ever. I've ridden SFNE's Pandemonium in low temperatures so there's no issue there, from the outside looking in I would think the operating coasters would all be pretty resistant to weather but I'm no expert. They know their rides better than anyone, maybe American Thunder doesn't like the cold, I've heard the mine train has trouble starting up sometimes when it's cold... who knows. But there's no precedent for Six Flags caring about weather unless the winds are so absurd that they know a valley is almost a guarantee. We power rode Nitro with Boldikus for an hour and a half last year on closing night of Holiday in the Park when it was well below freezing out. Occasionally the ride would slam to a stop in the midcourse or the final brakes when it got really cold but maintenance came out and hit the "stop being a little b*tch" button (I'm assuming that's what the button says) and reset it every time . They don't let winter ruin their fun (especially not Batman... good lord, it runs faster in the winter than it does in the summer thanks to those awesome winter wheels).

^ Wow! Thanks for all that information! I'm really looking forward to the experience! I'm still surprised SF brought the event to our little and often forgotten park! And from your description, OMG I cant wait for Batman! Its always been one of my favorite coasters anyway so now it definitely sounds enticing lol!

Yesterday went very well for the park! I sounds like the guests loved it, and I have never seen so much merch sold at our park in a single day. The retail department really outdid themselves getting very nice product that people are buying like crazy. The park was not busy but it was a good crowd and considering Harbor and north park were closed it felt a little busier. Most people seemed to stay near the Palace for the light show and then the inside show, which had probably the longest lines in the park.

696513838_HIPGOBO.thumb.png.9d58d890623a4652708a276ce5000021.png

Garden.thumb.png.61fe0ac829b30c76d62efe34f1a33335.png

Occasionally the ride would slam to a stop in the midcourse or the final brakes when it got really cold but maintenance came out and hit the "stop being a little b*tch" button (I'm assuming that's what the button says) and reset it every time .

Does that button have a Smiler logo on it?

So basically Six Flags takes a really pragmatic approach. They'll run a ride until they have proof it cannot run in those conditions.

Edit: First thing I notice walking in is Skyscreamer running. The railroad track rule isn't in effect?

So basically Six Flags takes a really pragmatic approach. They'll run a ride until they have proof it cannot run in those conditions.

Edit: First thing I notice walking in is Skyscreamer running. The railroad track rule isn't in effect?

Boomerang, Fireball, Minetrain and Skyscreamer are all open even though not originally supposed to be open.

Boomerang, Fireball, Minetrain and Skyscreamer are all open even though not originally supposed to be open.

Yeah I heard Fireball and Boomerang were too after I got in here. Awesome work responding to crowd, staff and weather conditions. I'm entirely impressed by the management of the event.

Edited by Danrarbc

Yeah I heard Fireball and Boomerang were too after I got in here. Awesome work responding to crowd, staff and weather conditions.

Occasionally the ride would slam to a stop in the midcourse or the final brakes when it got really cold but maintenance came out and hit the "stop being a little b*tch" button (I'm assuming that's what the button says) and reset it every time .

Does that button have a Smiler logo on it?

dead

Does Six Flags St. Louis still have any musical shows like Miss Kitties or the Palace?

Yes indeed. Two indoor shows for HITP though, Empire and Palace. Miss Kitty's is repurposed for Santa photos.

Maintenance is standing at the American Thunder console with the op. Are they working on some sort of adjustment?

Does Six Flags St. Louis still have any musical shows like Miss Kitties or the Palace?

They have a show in the Empire that features a trio of females that sing tight harmonies like the Andrews Sisters did.

In the Palace they have a Nativity musical. The show drags but you are rewarded with live animals including a live camel

They have a light/music show on the Palace Steps featuring that corny song we all love "Holiday in the Park" that debuted at the other SF parks last year but made famous at SFGAdv

There's also a random group of carolers that roam.

Last night was a slightly busier night at the park, as someone already stated they opened up part of the north park since we had more guests. They only real complaint I heard was that a lot of the food locations were starting to run out of hot chocolate. It was nice to see that once the show began in front of palace, the train came to almost a complete stop on the first bridge so that the guests onboard could watch the trees. I also just realized yesterday that the whole area where the clowns were during FF was also decorated. Its simple but looks nice. Its fun to keep finding new areas decorated.

Yesterday, I had lunch in the back room of the Flash Pass office and received a Guest question on my way out. They had been on American Thunder & Mr. Freeze so far that day and, as frequent visitors to the park, were wondering why the coasters were only running one train. As the off season is a lot shorter this year, they have already had to start rehabbing some trains. As this is something most people wouldn't think about, I wanted to share it here so that nobody is surprised if a certain ride is only running one train.

The single problem that I see only concerns one ride. After having most of the regular season to work on it, there is absolutely no reason why Boomerang should be at one train. Even though it isn't scheduled to be open as part of the regular HIP ride line up, I feel like the park can do better. Oh well, maybe next year...

Yeah It's typical for parks to remove trains from some rides during Holiday events for that very reason, no big deal. 1 train is better than no trains which is what we in December before these types of events started popping up. Last year all of Great Adventure's coasters were down a train (except Skull Mountain because I think it actually has 3 trains even though it's only capable of running 2... I'm not sure what Six Flags was on when they bought that but I love it, lol). This year it's the same way except Batman which for some reason is running 2. I'm not complaining.

This also has a hidden benefit of making sure trains are always full which is helpful when you have to deal with winter weather.

Yesterday, I had lunch in the back room of the Flash Pass office and received a Guest question on my way out. They had been on American Thunder & Mr. Freeze so far that day and, as frequent visitors to the park, were wondering why the coasters were only running one train. As the off season is a lot shorter this year, they have already had to start rehabbing some trains. As this is something most people wouldn't think about, I wanted to share it here so that nobody is surprised if a certain ride is only running one train.

The single problem that I see only concerns one ride. After having most of the regular season to work on it, there is absolutely no reason why Boomerang should be at one train. Even though it isn't scheduled to be open as part of the regular HIP ride line up, I feel like the park can do better. Oh well, maybe next year...

I'm probably over simplifying things but to me it makes sense.

I doubt that they are completely done with the rehabs for Boss, Eagle and have of Panda's carts. To me it would make more sense to get those done and then progressively reduce capacity on the other coasters as you progress through off season maintenance. Get a ride that's not open done and then move on and grab a train from an open one. Not start at reduced across the board from the start. I get that this is a learning process and I'm sure future seasons will be tweaked.