TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

It does look and sound impressive. From what I've been reading here, theirs seems to be fairly expensive and rivals any other Six Flag park! I'm glad to see SFSTL return to having an edge in something. I want to get down there and see it myself. The only thing is it is hard to imagine going there without riding the Screamin' Eagle or the Boss, but I don't think they would run well in low temperatures anyway?

Well we already knew The Boss had issues in colder weather. Even if they could get it running on the one fast train it is probably more trouble than it is worth. I'm not sure how Eagle's PTC trains handle the cold, but ultimately being able to close off Illinois helps reduce the man hours needed.

The one I'm curious about is Mine Train - supposedly Arrows work pretty well in the cold, but it isn't on the list. Is the Mine Train chassis just completely different in this regard? The station is entirely covered and has HVAC right?

The one I'm curious about is Mine Train - supposedly Arrows work pretty well in the cold, but it isn't on the list. Is the Mine Train chassis just completely different in this regard? The station is entirely covered and has HVAC right?

In cold temperatures Mine Train won't be able to make the climb out of the tunnel, which is why there is anti-rollbacks on climb out of the tunnel. For both Boss and Mine Train it has nothing to do with the trains themselves and more to do with layout.

I see.

And even if the speed could be increased with a bigger third lift the upstop design wouldn't handle negative G's well. Not sure if that speed would be high enough to generate air time but maybe.

I just mentioned to trains on The Boss because I know each of the three has their own attitude. Eagle has the anti rollbacks installed too, so makes sense.

EDIT: Nevermind about the upstops. I just read that Magnum XL originally only had upstop pads and that has plenty of airtime - it seems they just wore quickly.

Layout makes more of a difference than manufacturer. For example, Sunday was the first time Great Adventure ever had to close rides due to weather during Holiday in the Park. Winds were so insane that they had to deflate all of their inflatable decorations and take others inside for cover. It was cold and gusts were well above 50 MPH. Nitro never had a chance, Superman and Green Lantern were closed all day too. Batman was open though because they could have send an empty train in the height of Hurricane Sandy and it probably would have made it back to the station. There are no vulnerable points at all on that ride. It's a constant, relentless speed-fest. Joker (the S&S free spin) ran too as it's also not valley prone at all.

That being said I think we're looking too far into this with Mine Train, I just pulled up a POV of Mine Train and the problem became abundantly clear. Any snowfall (even 2-3 inches) would be the end of this ride. A huge point of the ride is spent with the upstops just inches off the ground as it's a terrain coaster. Moderate snow would be in the way off the upstops or maybe even bury the track. This could take days or weeks to melt and then you've paid to staff a ride for an event where it could barely run. It's not worth the expense of staffing it and it's not worth the expensive of trying to clear snow from hundreds of feet of track.

These are just a few highlights from

, but a huge chunk of the layout puts the upstop inches off the ground. Watch the POV and see how much of ride is spent in areas where 3 inches of snow would cause the train to slam into a snowbank.

1.jpg.52235e7a00ff50f62fd6d2e130d16c6d.jpg

2.jpg.ef7371542f4b1e0add0c316a6abfc01f.jpg

3.jpg.6b44c944c39bc72706ae7eb27c55eb84.jpg

4.jpg.6c8f3f898866ea07d3f13180a75c49df.jpg

Colossus actually makes for an interesting way to see the light show.

It is really apparent the original plan was to have the Flume-Moon Cars path closed. The only decorations seen to be repurposed Fright Fest lights. I'm really happy it is open though - American Thunder ran pretty well even after an E-Stop. It was perceptibly slower but it'll definitely handle even lower temps.

Minetrain was added as a last minute addition to the ride line up today so it will be operating for Holiday in the Park, temperature permitting.

I did notice that it was open. Just didn't mention it here because i figured it wouldn't be permanent. Then again I guess bad enough conditions would shut down just about anything except Batman which apparently defies physics

I saw that Pandemonium had an issue a decent portion of the night - maintenance had a flashlight out shining at the brake run.

So in the event that weather would prevent any rides from opening, is HITP still worth a visit without rides?

Probably, but this is Six Flags. Weather preventing rides from running is very rare so this shouldn't really be an issue. They don't care about temperature limits so the only things that would really be an issue are snow on the tracks or insanely high winds.

So in the event that weather would prevent any rides from opening, is HITP still worth a visit without rides?

Probably, but this is Six Flags. Weather preventing rides from running is very rare so this shouldn't really be an issue. They don't care about temperature limits so the only things that would really be an issue are snow on the tracks or insanely high winds.

That's understandable. I guess the only coaster at SFStL I can ever remember being closed for temperatures is The Boss and we all know its not even part of HITP anyway. Now, I've been to SDC Christmas event and they have closed all rides due to temperature. Is it really just a park to park practice?