TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

The ride was not really "fixed" during the downtime, the downtime was due to a major breakdown for which parts were unavailable, the parts arrived and the ride was opened back up. I would expect when the park goes to weekend only operation there will be a lot more done to cut down on the downtime the ride has had throughout most of the summer.

The ride was not really "fixed" during the downtime, the downtime was due to a major breakdown for which parts were unavailable, the parts arrived and the ride was opened back up. I would expect when the park goes to weekend only operation there will be a lot more done to cut down on the downtime the ride has had throughout most of the summer.

Just curious, do you know why SFOT's version was able to keep running? Was it only SFSTL's that needed the part?

If the ride was reopened in the same semi-functional state it was in when it closed (dim screens, targeting system mostly not working, Joker not working, targeting of the fog screen not working, volume way too low) that would be very disappointing.

Hey people! I'm thinking about doing a trip to Worlds of Fun and Six Flags St Louis and was wondering if some of you guys could help me plan out a trip. I'll be driving from Fort Collins, CO which would be a 9-hour trip to WoF and a little over 12 hours to SFStL. I've never been to either park so obviously I'd like to get all the credits at both parks.

My rough outline of a plan would be to leave FC around 4am and arrive at around 1 or 2pm (I think there might be a time change in there). I would then stay until close (looking forward to night rides on Prowler) and then stay at a nearby hotel. Following morning around 6 or 7 I would then drive to SFStL at opening.

Anyway, I welcome any alterations to this plan-- driving to Six Flags first, suggestions on hotels, need for flash passes/fast lane, how much time I'd actually need at each park.

I already posted this message in the WoF thread.

Thanks for any help!

Hi everyone, first time poster here at the forum.

Went to Six Flags yesterday and it was pretty fun. Didn't ride Justice League because it was closed in the morning when I went to that part of the park and I didn't know it opened back up. First time I've ridden Mr. Freeze reverse blast since it use to go forward. I went twice last year and it was down both times. It was pretty awesome though., I liked how when it launched going forwards it would take your breath away but where it stops at the end of the track with you hanging there before it goes forwards is awesome to.

Batman is still a fun ride, but I wish they would put some fans in the building when you first walk in and are going up the steps. Every time I get so sweaty in there. Even if 8 is a hot day I got more sweaty in there then I do outside in the middle of a non shaded area. Please put some fans or AC in there, it is miserable until you get on the platform.

It seems like stuff was not running at full capacity. I somehow remember them having a lot more boats for Thunder River. They use to load up about 3 at a time, now they had one loading at a time and I seen up to 3 seats open per boat maybe more. Also they had one train for the boas they where running empty with just some sand bags in it for weight, but two other cars they where letting people ride in. Why?

Glad if they are closing Tidal Wave this year I rode it yesterday, I guess possibly for the last time according to some of you. I think it's still a great ride, I would just put some new paint on the fence you stand against and get splashed. Six Flags does not have another water ride you can get that soaked on without going to the water park. Keep it! Or put it in the water park which could be unique. It seems though like Six Flags has stepped up in the last year or so. I'm hoping they have that labor day sale on gold season passes like they had last year and I'll get another one. And I'm really hoping they go ahead with a big new steel roller coaster.

It is one of the best Six Flags parks with a nice rounded selection of roller coasters and rides..

You haven't been to very many Six Flags parks I take it?

I'll gladly drive right past the park (it's less than 2 hours away) to go to a better one that's farther away

I think you're being too hard on the park... I have been to MANY Six Flags parks, and when my wife and I went to SFStL, we really enjoyed it. No, it's not comparable to Silver Dollar City (which isn't a SF park), but I thought it was at least as good as WoF (which also isn't a SF park) back when we went to both on the same trip. That being said, it was back in 2003, so maybe SFStL has deteriorated, and WoF has improved. But I did enjoy SFStL back then. Certainly, it didn't seem much worse from the overall park experience perspective, than any other SF park. It was actually a lot nicer than SFMM, from that standpoint!

I CAN understand getting bored with the park as a local, however, as I know in Michigan we are all tired of how MiA stagnates year after year while other parks in the chain get sizable improvements. But I feel like that is a different issue than whether the park's appearance, and experience is solid. (And, FWIW, SFStL then, was better than MiA is now, so you have that going for you! )

'""

I have to agree with you on some being too hard on the park. Each to their own based on "wants and needs". Living here in St. Louis, I appreciate having "more" to do for my money with having little ones. Just came back from Branson today. Loved Outlaw Run! I've been on Powder Keg and Wildfire years prior. My family and I have visited many other Six Flags...going to SFGA (Chicago) often. My son under 54" has more to ride here than many other SF parks. And unlike Silver Dollar City and White Water, SFSTL has the theme and water park all in one. Of course I want a giga, mega or RMC coaster here. But being an amusement park loving family, I appreciate what we have not having to travel far when I don't have to. I didn't care for WOF.

On this note, my sister took her family to Cincinnati to Kings Island, they didn't like it at all. Said they perfer SFSTL any day over Kings Island. And this was before Justice League was added.

Hey people! I'm thinking about doing a trip to Worlds of Fun and Six Flags St Louis and was wondering if some of you guys could help me plan out a trip. I'll be driving from Fort Collins, CO which would be a 9-hour trip to WoF and a little over 12 hours to SFStL. I've never been to either park so obviously I'd like to get all the credits at both parks.

My rough outline of a plan would be to leave FC around 4am and arrive at around 1 or 2pm (I think there might be a time change in there). I would then stay until close (looking forward to night rides on Prowler) and then stay at a nearby hotel. Following morning around 6 or 7 I would then drive to SFStL at opening.

Anyway, I welcome any alterations to this plan-- driving to Six Flags first, suggestions on hotels, need for flash passes/fast lane, how much time I'd actually need at each park.

I already posted this message in the WoF thread.

Thanks for any help!

When I travel, I try to save the "funnest" park for last if I hit multiples. I didn't like WOF much. We have season passes to SFSTL and go often. I would suggest looking at each web-site to see which park may "entertain" you and your family the most based on your "likes". As far as flash passes at SFSTL, I say no. They are way expensive and you can get everything in (usually) in a day if you stay all day, including water-park (free with admission). I will say our longest line is the Justice League ride. Usually an hour or better wait. So plan all day if you want to ride 2 or 3 times. When I travel, I usually look for 2 or more day deals to make sure my family has time to ride everything in the park (maybe a couple times or in case maybe park closes due to weather). Check into a Thrill Pass for SFSTL. About the same price as a gate ticket (don't know what discounts you have found). But now you can spend as many days as you want until the end of September.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your vacation!

Batman is still a fun ride, but I wish they would put some fans in the building when you first walk in and are going up the steps. Every time I get so sweaty in there. Even if 8 is a hot day I got more sweaty in there then I do outside in the middle of a non shaded area. Please put some fans or AC in there, it is miserable until you get on the platform.

The AC at BTR has been broken for quite some time now. In fact, they just got a new compressor put in but the whole system still isn't working right, and so now they have to have someone come in and break something down to get at the problem(s). Hopefully it'll be working once that's all taken care of.

It seems like stuff was not running at full capacity. I somehow remember them having a lot more boats for Thunder River. They use to load up about 3 at a time, now they had one loading at a time and I seen up to 3 seats open per boat maybe more. Also they had one train for the boas they where running empty with just some sand bags in it for weight, but two other cars they where letting people ride in. Why?

Thunder River has 8/9 boats technically available for use, however there's usually a few parked in the reservoir due to lack of daily need. The 9th boat I've heard they can't get on until both wave makers get fixed, which is still in the works.

The Boss just got its third train back from the shop last weekend, so not everyone on the crew was certified for three-train operation immediately. They worked very hard to get as many people certified for three trains as quickly as possible, including many of those who are not part of Boss's home crew but are just cross-trained at it. Three-train operation is only used on an as-needed basis; three trains do not start the day on the track (unless high park attendance is expected), so whenever the line gets long enough to warrant a third train, the ride has to be shut down until maintenance can transfer the train onto the circuit. In situations where they need to keep three trains on the track in case the ride gets very busy, but the line isn't long enough to warrant actually loading all three trains at that time, one train (typically the yellow train when all three are on) will be leaded (those bags are actually filled with 40 lbs of lead) so it will make it through the whole circuit without any trouble, and so it's easily able to made operational when it actually is needed.

It could use more fans which if I remember correctly it is on the parks to do list.

Which I'm guessing is about 30 pages long

I'm not trying to take a dig at Dave or any of the current management, though. They've managed the park well through the bankruptcy and whatnot, and the current revitalization of different areas of the park is looking really nice. If only corporate would give the parks a bigger maintenance budget, but the chances of that happening soon is very slim.

Fun fact: Apparently Dave has been president of the park since 2001, which means Scooby-Doo (which was added in 2002) was one of the first rides he was a part of. With Justice League replacing that this season, it seems like his time at the park has come full circle. If he retires soon (which'll be sad), he should know that the park is in way better shape than it was back then, and he should be very proud.

^ I just hope that his replacement will share the same vision and enthusiasm as him. I'd hate for his replacement to have a "meh" attitude and the Park just fall into an awful slump. Perhaps Dave should not retire after all......

^ I just hope that his replacement will share the same vision and enthusiasm as him. I'd hate for his replacement to have a "meh" attitude and the Park just fall into an awful slump. Perhaps Dave should not retire after all......

Im sure Dave will help interview canidates and whatnot, so I am sure the person who takes over won't be terrible.

It could use more fans which if I remember correctly it is on the parks to do list.

Seems like a simple task ... why should it take so long? If SF Corp denies things like this no wonder SFSTL is in the shape its in.

The Boss line still moved fast since it was short, I was just wondering why one car was just running with weight in it. Thanks! I remember Thunder River use to run with a lot more boats then that but maybe I'm remembering wrong. I thought when it came back around to get unloaded the ramp to take them back up to the dock would be full with 3-4 boats on it and now there was only one boat unloading, one boat loading and one on the ramp on the way up, I'm talking 10 years ago or more so maybe I'm remembering wrong. I hope they get Batman ac fixed, it is just miserable in there. I hope Justice League is still going during fright fest when I go back, but I might go back before then.

The Boss line still moved fast since it was short, I was just wondering why one car was just running with weight in it. Thanks! I remember Thunder River use to run with a lot more boats then that but maybe I'm remembering wrong. I thought when it came back around to get unloaded the ramp to take them back up to the dock would be full with 3-4 boats on it and now there was only one boat unloading, one boat loading and one on the ramp on the way up, I'm talking 10 years ago or more so maybe I'm remembering wrong. I hope they get Batman ac fixed, it is just miserable in there. I hope Justice League is still going during fright fest when I go back, but I might go back before then.

When they put better A/C systems in, I'm hoping they repair some of the effects in the 'Batcave' part of the ride, including some of the lights on the ceiling and the red lights that light up the ground when the floor drops. Some of those little details are things that I think make the theming and feel of a ride even better

Seems like a simple task ... why should it take so long? If SF Corp denies things like this no wonder SFSTL is in the shape its in.

First, it isn't that simple. It can't be done overnight, without causing downtime for the ride. Once the park gets to weekends only operation, a LOT will start happening. It'll be pretty impressive how much starts happening week-to-week, especially as we'll see lots of FF decorations pop up.

Second, you really, really, really need to take everything posted about specific maintenance issues with a grain of salt. When JLBM first closed, SFZIP didn't know the details behind the closure, so he learned it later from second-hand sources. There's a reason he needs to stay anonymous, so when it comes to what he posts, you especially need to be cautious. A lot of the time, I see those posts actually leading to increased mis-information and incorrect speculation.

Finally, I can say that the park's physical to-do list isn't 31 pages long, but it is very organized and thorough. Now don't get too worked up and stay happy!

I knew the "only at Six Flags" reason that Justice League went down around the time the sign went up outside the ride, which was why I said when the sign went up it would be down for awhile (was down for almost two weeks), the downtime had nothing to do with any of the previous issues the ride has had.