TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Just got back from Pirates of Speelunker Cave preview. Overall pretty good. It is a continuous loading platform with a single dinghy. 1 boat is 2 people x 2 people and they are pretty small compared to the old Yosemite Sam and the Gold River Adventure. Remember that one where they had 2 big boats joined to form 1 train? This one is just 1 small boat per train. It seats 4 big people but smaller guests can fit 3 to a row. 

It is not a 2-side alternating platform anymore. They used the left side for scenery. 

The ride ops were dressed like Pirates today but towards the end of the day they were training the employees assigned to this ride and they had special uniforms.
All ops get Hawaiian shirts. 

It even has that new ride smell. The queue line theming is unbe-freakin'-lievable. Best queue theming at SFOT. The new wood smell even smells like a pirate stranded on a beach. Season Passes have its benefits. 2-3 hour lines on every ride today but only 5 minutes for this one. 

Mentioned above by @bert425 yeah the POV shows it. You would not expect this level of theming from 1. Any Six Flags park 2. THIS Six Flags park. 

10/10 calming dark ride. It's air conditioned and you get a little wet (giggity) on it to cool off in the scorching Texas heat.

Pictured: Little of Pirates queue and station.

I'm still giddy that Single Rider Lines are back. 

IMG-7907.jpg

IMG-7902.jpg

IMG-7901.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, skyrocket010 said:

What is this based off of? Was there work being done on it?

You can see the transfer and storage from top of lift on New Texas Giant. All 3 trains are ready to go and in storage shed. During lift hill chain break they took all 3 trains off the ride completely. 

They were also running black and blue New Texas Giant trains at start of year but now it's been red and blue trains for a little bit. Black train is out of commission. Off the ride completely and not in storage. You can also see train #3 of Runaway Mountain driving down the road with the employee entrance. The shell of all 3 cars are visible right next to the road and employee entrance. The restraints are off of that one.

Also they took down all Titan refurbishment signage around the path to New Texas Giant Flash Pass entrance @skyrocket010. They even started to run Sidewinder a little bit which did not run for the duration of Titan being down.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skyrocket010 said:

Nice! I wonder if they’re looking to open it for Memorial Day weekend.

You mean the weekend that's less than 4 days away?  That weekend?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, KBrylczyk said:

You mean the weekend that's less than 4 days away?  That weekend?

Clearly I was implying that they must’ve been pushing to have it ready for that date for some time now. I’m aware that it’s this upcoming weekend. But have your moment. 

^ the best reason (only?) to swing by Dorney Park.

or. . take a trip to Nagashima Spaland. . . as they have one too, that brought me RIGHT back to the feeling I used to get on Skyscreamer at Astroworld.

IMG_1043.JPG

No Titan today. They should have already gotten the lift hill chain in but they still need to probably recertify the ride if they haven't already. Yesterday was the last day the park is closed until September so daily operations now. They also have to train an entire Titan operation crew. Staffing is a huge problem but school is almost out. Some rides don't even open with how bad staffing is currently. 

It will get there. Maybe tomorrow, maybe a few more days. Trains are in storage still though.

Also some more concrete pouring about to happen on left side of Aquaman splash trough. My guess is August 5th opening date on the park's birthday.

• 4 weeks later...

I did a quick afternoon trip to SFoT last Friday (June 17th) and had a good visit.

Couple of notes:

• Titan is back up and running great! I always get decent floater air on that first hill.
  • Pirates of the Speelunker Cave was fantastic, unique and had so much charm! This is a step in the right direction.
  • Everything was a walk-on with half of the trains half-full. Ride operators were even telling people that they could stay on the ride.
  • I rode Justice League for the very first time, and it really needs some TLC. The main big screen in the loading station was off, and the screens in the back-half of the ride were very dim, and the guns wouldn't work against it. I wish I rode this one in its prime.
  • When did the Spanish mission-style entrance get torn down? It definitely opens up the entrance plaza though.
  • I enjoyed the "cooling stations" they have scattered across the park. Great way to get free iced water in the Texas heat.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah my sister is pushing SFOT over SFFT this year because she's "so over SA" right now.  We haven't done SFFT since 2008 and the only new coaster at SFOT is Joker, granted I have not ridden Mr. Freeze.  

45 minutes ago, CoasterAuditor said:

Ah my sister is pushing SFOT over SFFT this year because she's "so over SA" right now.  We haven't done SFFT since 2008 and the only new coaster at SFOT is Joker, granted I have not ridden Mr. Freeze.  

mistake.

SFFT is brilliant. . and one of the best in the chain (even if Wonder Woman is down at the moment. . tho the new dive coaster is just about to open).  

also SWSA is ~10 minutes away, and a ride at ZDT's unique (only one in the world) wooden shuttle coaster is only 35 minutes away.

Yeah sometimes one must yield to the older sibling unfortunately.  I'll figure out a way to get back for SFFT soon.  At least SFOT is a nice park even though I've ridden New Texas Giant.  Though it was once in the cold and running slow so maybe it has more up its sleeve for me.  

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the double post, but man they are cutting hours at this park for the rest of the season.  Going on a Saturday in mid-August and the park now closes at 6pm the day were going while SFFT closes at 9pm the same day?  Genuinely curious what the parks angle is here.  Screamscape noted that they want to actually "reduce" attendance?  I don't really know quite how "reducing attendance" is beneficial to a theme park chain.  I mean they're definitely succeeding with how easy it was to marathon rides at Great Adventure Saturday.  I admit this route Six Flags is going is rather head-scratching from a business perspective.