Jump to content
  TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P.. 420: Pirates of Speelunker Cave announced for 2022!

Recommended Posts

Yeah sometimes one must yield to the older sibling unfortunately.  I'll figure out a way to get back for SFFT soon.  At least SFOT is a nice park even though I've ridden New Texas Giant.  Though it was once in the cold and running slow so maybe it has more up its sleeve for me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the double post, but man they are cutting hours at this park for the rest of the season.  Going on a Saturday in mid-August and the park now closes at 6pm the day were going while SFFT closes at 9pm the same day?  Genuinely curious what the parks angle is here.  Screamscape noted that they want to actually "reduce" attendance?  I don't really know quite how "reducing attendance" is beneficial to a theme park chain.  I mean they're definitely succeeding with how easy it was to marathon rides at Great Adventure Saturday.  I admit this route Six Flags is going is rather head-scratching from a business perspective.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They're doing it because the chain as-a-whole is having a horrendous year. It's possible that Fiesta is one of the rare exceptions, it's also possible that they're hoping for crowds when the new coaster opens and it's also possible that Fiesta's "quality bubble" is just holding strong.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, CoasterAuditor said:

I don't really know quite how "reducing attendance" is beneficial to a theme park chain.

Reducing attendance results in lower crowds, resulting in a better guest experience, possibly resulting in more return-visitors and in-park spending.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't help but think that the weather is a part of this decision.  It has been abnormally hot in Dallas since Memorial Day weekend and there is no end in sight.  All but 4 days in July have been above 100 and 7 days have been above 105.  Outdoor activities are dying right now, even water parks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, bigboy said:

I can't help but think that the weather is a part of this decision.  It has been abnormally hot in Dallas since Memorial Day weekend and there is no end in sight.  All but 4 days in July have been above 100 and 7 days have been above 105.  Outdoor activities are dying right now, even water parks.

By that logic, shouldn't they shift the hours later so they're open longer once the sun is down?  7PM is right when it starts to cool down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AmyUD06 said:

By that logic, shouldn't they shift the hours later so they're open longer once the sun is down?  7PM is right when it starts to cool down.

It was 103 yesterday at my house at 9 pm

 

so.  Yeah, you would think.  But “cool down” is relative in Texas heat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today was the emptiest I've ever seen the park. It was kind of amazing. I didn't know they were explicitly approving re-rides on Titan now. 

I didn't realize Harley Quinn had a history of op failures. It was a walk-on today and it's truly bizarre.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was there just a few days ago, and it was pretty dead as well. We had four FOL pass3s from an old membership, and we didn’t even need to use any of them. It was still super hot, and one ride op said most kids have gone back to school already. I’m not a local; is that true?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ryder said:

I was there just a few days ago, and it was pretty dead as well. We had four FOL pass3s from an old membership, and we didn’t even need to use any of them. It was still super hot, and one ride op said most kids have gone back to school already. I’m not a local; is that true?

Definitely not. School starts in the 2nd week of August, around the 10th.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2022 at 2:00 PM, bigboy said:

I can't help but think that the weather is a part of this decision.

They've cut hours mostly chain-wide. It's financial. Texas being surface-of-the-sun hot is not new.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No doubt.  And I've lived in Texas for 46 years.  This year is unusual.  In Dallas, we're at 34 days above 100 when we had only 2 at this same point last year.  And we're just now getting to August.  It's pacing right up there with the 2 hottest summers ever (1980 and 2011).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even Riddler was a re-ride today. I've never seen the park like this. If it wasn't for Freeze running one train the whole year(?), it would be 100% perfect. I'd hate to be looking at the bottom line, though.

Too bad this is the last week of daily ops. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use https://themeparkreview.com/forum/topic/116-terms-of-service-please-read/