TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I'm at the park now and there's no sign of deconstruction on Flashback or Chute out . They're fenced off , but that's it. After speaking with several park security personel, I've learned some interesting things. First off, I'm convinced that Texas Skyscreamer will prove a failure to SFOT. Why do I think this? Simple, I went to the top of the oil derrick tower today, it was quite windy. I spoke to a security officer at the top and asked him how they (park management) intended to operate a 400 foot Skyscreamer with wind conditions so bad.

He told me that it was his opinion that the Skyscreamer would be the most useless addition to the park in it's history because of wind conditions in the D/FW area. Considering the Chute Out didn't operate during windy conditions and neither did the oil derrick tower, and Skyscreamer being taller than both would definately not operate in winds of 20mph or more. He also said that park management had originally told them that the park would be getting X-Flight or something similar. But plans had changed and now they were getting Skyscreamer.

I asked him about the abandoned shopping area, he confirmed that the park had plans to use the area for expansion. When I asked him if a new ride would be built in the area, he said that once Flashback and the old bumper car building were removed the park would then begin demolishing the shopping area and clearing all the land for expansion.

I asked him if he had any idea what type of ride would be built in the area. He asked me if I'd heard of X2 at Magic Mountain, I said that I had ridden it. He told me the new coaster to be built in the area would be similar to that. I told him that Arrow, the company responsible for X-2 had gone out of buisness and that there was no way that they could be building a new coaster here. He said that the new coaster wouldn't be exactly the same but similar. I asked him if he meant a winged coaster, I then described what a winged coaster looked like. He said that sounded very much like what they were planning. He said that the new coaster would take a while to build and would be brand new as opposed to something sent from another park.

He said it would open in either 2014 or 2015 and would be customed built to fit in the area being cleared. I realise that this is extremely unreliable info so I decided to speak to several other security pesonnel in the park. They all told me pretty much the same story about the abandoned shopping area. Everyone I spoked to said that park management had told them that a new coaster would be built in the years ahead and that it was supposedly based on X-2 at MM.

I know full well that none of this is reliable in the slightest. But I have a gut feeling that a new coaster is comming. But when it will come and what type of coaster it will be, only time will tell.

^^^ Arrow Dynamics was bought out by S&S worldwide. They have manufactured three 4th dimensions designs that are all pretty much the same as X2 except for a few alterations. I don't think Six Flags or other parks in the US are too interested in them considering X2 was built in 2001 and not one in the US has been built in the 11 years since its debut. Which kind of suprised me, I thought more parks in US would have a model. I guess its just one of those things. I think if or when B&M debuts there version, it would have a demand.

I remember 4-5 years ago talking about the same thing "What are they going to do with that shopping area"....It's probably in the deep bowels of this thread somewhere, and yet nothing. Same thing with the Security guards saying theres gonna be something big in there, so on so forth. So I won't be surprised if we don't see something there for awhile.

You know sportsdude, I thought the same thing when they made the announcement on TXSS. I thought about the lightning and wind condition problems Chute Out always had and I thought... yeah lets install something twice as tall as Chute Out LOL. I would imagine a lot of down time in the Spring for TX Sky Screamer. I can't help but think what a big ol lightning rod it's going to be.

I just thought I'd let everyone know that Shock Wave is Temporally CLOSED, but do not worry! Shock Wave is getting a much needed paint job and will reopen once painting is all completed! Just thought I'd let everyone know that. Also La Vibora (Bobsleds) is also planed to get a fresh paint job, but will not be closed during weekend operations.

^ I did too, and personally would not mind bobsled go. I do respect the fact that SFoT preserves old coasters and that its the only Six Flags park that has a bobsled but its a little slow to me. I understand its a family ride that always maintains a line. Plus it would be a good spot for a large coaster.

Both these coasters badly need a paint job.

La Vibora hasn't been done since I can't remember when, and after the sections they replaced on Shockwave the paint has been very telling of where. Not to mention both are prominent impressions on the GP. Shockwave being right off the highway and La Vibora right at the entrance.

^ I did too, and personally would not mind bobsled go. I do respect the fact that SFoT preserves old coasters and that its the only Six Flags park that has a bobsled but its a little slow to me. I understand its a family ride that always maintains a line. Plus it would be a good spot for a large coaster.

Great Escape has a bobsled.

Glad to hear Shockwave is getting a much needed coat of paint but I'm VERY surprised to see Lavibora is getting one too, I thought that coaster was on its way out soon so I'm surprised to hear they are painting it (maybe to get it ready for the RRP?).

EDIT: I always wanted to ask but didn't is what were the paint jobs Shockwave has had, I know it had a lot, but I'm wondering how many.

I have this picture for my VIP Tours I give at the park

Wow! Very cool.

I'll vote for silver/navy. It was those colors when I first rode it and I still think they look the best on it. I'm really curious who came up with the current train colors. They are very odd and unappealing, dare I say.

When I worked at the park in 1995, there was an "upper" staff member wanting to "talk about that" (the current color scheme of white/vomit pink/beige) to the park president and the powers that be/those responsible, at the time. It was a big issue with some people who had say in the park.

Lone Star Coasterthon was this past weekend and one of the cool things was a backstage tour through the deconstruction zone of Flashback and Chute Out. Flashback's already being dismantled. The station is gone, the queue area is gone, most of the cover panels for the lift motors are off, a couple of staircases have been detached and are lying on the ground. We got to wander around the ride and get some interesting shots. I got one of myself with my head sticking up between the track rails right after the loop. SFStL is going to have an interesting time with getting this thing to look "new." You all might want to buy stock in companies that make degreaser chemicals, as they'll be needing a lot of that stuff, especially in the areas with brake runs. This thing is FILTHY. Aside from grime and age, it looks to be in pretty good shape.

As for Chute Out, the tower sections were welded together many years ago. It's not likely to be disassembled neatly. We got to see inside the tower control area and they let us write farewell messages on the bricks of the center structure. SFOT really understands how people have memories of a ride, especially one that's been around for so long, and they go the extra mile in hospitality.

JRS was running well in the Sunday morning ERT session with a light rain falling. Wheel seats were still brutal, but front and center seats were fine.

Shock Wave will be repainted in the current color scheme of gray/navy.

No word on La Vibora's colors, although as long as it's named for a snake, I'd expect the same snake color theme. Back in the old days when it was called "Avalanche" it was a single color. Nobody understood why there would be an "Avalanche Bobsled" in the Mexican section, though.

Titan was hauling serious azz and NTG was its usual "sluggish in the morning, screaming in the evening" self. Nighttime ERT was fantastic, with the oil derrick fireball really noticeable in the dark.

I'll post some pics after I get home. I went straight from the LSCT to the airport to catch a plane to Calgary, so I won't be back for a week.

Also, in a Q&A session with park president Steve Martindale, I mentioned that I had ridden the 385ft Starflyer in Vienna and they ran it at a slow and liesurely rotation speed until it was almost back down to the ground, then they kicked it in to a faster rotation. I had spoken to others who had been on 200ft and smaller versions and they said it rotated at the faster speed even at the top. I asked him if he knew whether that was a factor of the extreme height, or whether they'd be able to spin their 400ft one at full speed up top like the parks with smaller models. He replied that as far as he knew, the ride they're getting will be fully programmable and they'll have several preset ride programs in place that can be used depending on the crowds. On busy days, the rotation speed and the speed up and down the tower will be maxed out to increase capacity, and on slower days they can do a more varied cycle with differences in rotation speed and up/down speeds that can give a longer ride cycle. He said that in any case, the ride will need to lift up "about 50 ft" before it begins rotating in order to have safe clearances over nearby structures. He also added, "I'm a rides guy, so we're going to spin that thing as fast as we can."

I saw him a few times during the day interacting with the guests, asking questions, and sweeping up trash with a broom and dustpan(!) Nice to see a park president who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty to make the park better.

Also, in a Q&A session with park president Steve Martindale, I mentioned that I had ridden the 385ft Starflyer in Vienna and they ran it at a slow and liesurely rotation speed until it was almost back down to the ground, then they kicked it in to a faster rotation. I had spoken to others who had been on 200ft and smaller versions and they said it rotated at the faster speed even at the top. I asked him if he knew whether that was a factor of the extreme height, or whether they'd be able to spin their 400ft one at full speed up top like the parks with smaller models. He replied that as far as he knew, the ride they're getting will be fully programmable and they'll have several preset ride programs in place that can be used depending on the crowds. On busy days, the rotation speed and the speed up and down the tower will be maxed out to increase capacity, and on slower days they can do a more varied cycle with differences in rotation speed and up/down speeds that can give a longer ride cycle. He said that in any case, the ride will need to lift up "about 50 ft" before it begins rotating in order to have safe clearances over nearby structures. He also added, "I'm a rides guy, so we're going to spin that thing as fast as we can."

I saw him a few times during the day interacting with the guests, asking questions, and sweeping up trash with a broom and dustpan(!) Nice to see a park president who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty to make the park better.

I don't suppose you asked him about the abandoned shopping area. I'm dying to know what they're planning.